1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Modified Scenarios Workshop

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Scenario League' started by McMonkey, Feb 4, 2011.

1. minipow01

minipow01 Chieftain

This is a terrific conversion. I remember playing this 20 years ago! Thanks for resurrecting it.

When playing this conversion, I noticed something very inexplicable. None of the wonders can be built when I discover the requisite advance. For example, I cannot build Cervantes' Work or De la Cosa's World Map. Do you know why this would be the case? Also, if I delete wonders from the Spanish cities using the cheat menu, I can no longer build them again.

2. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff Supporter

Check the expiration tech on the wonders.

3. Prof. Garfield

Prof. Garfield Deity Supporter

I think the 'use wonders as objectives' option prevents the construction of new wonders. Maybe check that.

4. tootall_2012

tootall_2012 Prince

Hi minipow01,

Prof. Garfield is correct. When creating the scenario Jesus toggled the "Count wonders as objectives" flag to on which when done prevents a player from building any new wonder.

I don't know if this was his intention from the start or whether he was unaware of this feature but this is the consequence of doing so.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  5. minipow01

minipow01 Chieftain

Yes, that totally explains it. I had checked that the expiration advances were all set to "nil", but didn't realize counting wonders as objectives prevents the building of them. It's good to learn something new from seasoned scenario designers!

6. Thorvald of Lym

Thorvald of Lym A Little Sketchy

Did ToT change something? I knew Wonders as Objectives locked out anything that was already researched, but I'm sure in the original Civ2 anything new was still buildable.

7. tootall_2012

tootall_2012 Prince

Hi Thorvald of Lym,

No, I checked the original MGE scenario and the results are consistent with ToT. It makes sense when you think of it. If a scenario is based on scoring a specific number of objective points to win and wonders are part of that score, you wouldn't want a player to be able to build additional wonders beyond those the game starts with to artificially boost that score (at least that's how I imagine the developers of Civ must have viewed it).

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  8. Thorvald of Lym

Thorvald of Lym A Little Sketchy

Maybe it was a Vanilla thing. I distinctly remember being able to build the Manhattan Project in the original WWII scenario.

9. Patine

Patine Deity

I believe it might have started the game under construction with just a few shields toward building it, which I believe would have been a workaround.

10. techumseh

techumseh Emperor

I've run afoul of this working on other scenarios. AFAIK it has always been the case that wonders cannot be built if they are counted as victory points. But with ToTPP you can assign major objectives to cities worth 3 victory points. So that might be a workaround.

11. gapetit

gapetit King

Leonel`s Cold War Flashpoint scenario for FW converted to Test of Time:
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/cold-war-flashpoint-for-test-of-time.25197/

Small changes in some units of the Warsaw Pact, I have reinforced the industrial capacity of the western countries and have modified the events to reinforce the military capacity of the NATO countries. A question about the latter: is there any chance that I have not exceeded the maximum Events size allowed for any version of ToT?

Fairline likes this.
  12. Fairline

Fairline Emperor

Hasn't the available events size been increased with ToTPP?

13. tootall_2012

tootall_2012 Prince

Hi Gapeit,

If you include the 'EventHeapSize' parameter in the @COSMIC2 section of the rules.txt file you should no longer have size limits.

As per the ToTPP reference guide:

Event heap: Enables the @COSMIC2 key 'EventHeapSize'

Taking up to 2 values, the first is the (initial) heap size to be used for events in bytes. The second value flags static/dynamic memory allocation. When set to 1, it allows the event heap to dynamically allocate more memory when needed. Dynamic mode is especially recommended when making use of delayed events, in which case a particularly expensive "defragmentation" operation to reclaim space is skipped. Defaults to "106480, 1".

gapetit and Tanelorn like this.
  14. gapetit

gapetit King

Yes Fairline, there are almost no limits.

I think we all play with ToTPP, but I try that although I include in almost all conversions @COSMIC2 as an improvement, it can also be played without PP ... but I do think you are right, I am not going to accept the limits in events , when the solution is so easy.

15. CurtSibling

Yep - The events file I have for Overlords is huge, three times larger than the old limit.

16. gapetit

gapetit King

Two medieval scenarios with changes from Catfish to ToT conversions: in Rules, Icons and SCN. I think I am not mistaken, Fairline, that if you are playing the great scenario of John Ellis -Seize the Crown! - with your wonderful units, you will see how, when you have been playing for a long time, most of the units disappear from the scenario, or in the cities " independent " the defenders disappear.
    Am I right or not? :mischief:

HAMMER OF THE NORTH by Morten Blaabjerg

Seize the Crown! by John Ellis

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    Fairline, CurtSibling and Tanelorn like this.
  17. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Emperor

I love HotN.

18. CurtSibling

Good work, guys. Hammer is an all-time great!

19. Fairline

Fairline Emperor

Maybe I'm not very observant, but things seemed OK in my game. Do you mean barbs disappear after a while, as this is a 'feature' of ToT is it not?

20. CurtSibling

If gapetit is indeed talking about barbs, they vanish as part of normal CIV2 mechanics. They can be made permanent in rules.