Modified Scenarios Workshop

Hi all,

Jesús Muñoz Fernández ""The Spanish Odyssey v2.0" scenario has been updated with new graphics and to run with ToTPP. It can be downloaded from the CivFanatics download section located here.

This is another gem of a scenario which I encourage players to try if they haven’t done so before.

Also a big thank to you to Gapetit for helping me with the scn file hex editing.

This is a terrific conversion. I remember playing this 20 years ago! Thanks for resurrecting it.

When playing this conversion, I noticed something very inexplicable. None of the wonders can be built when I discover the requisite advance. For example, I cannot build Cervantes' Work or De la Cosa's World Map. Do you know why this would be the case? Also, if I delete wonders from the Spanish cities using the cheat menu, I can no longer build them again.

This is a terrific conversion. I remember playing this 20 years ago! Thanks for resurrecting it.

When playing this conversion, I noticed something very inexplicable. None of the wonders can be built when I discover the requisite advance. For example, I cannot build Cervantes' Work or De la Cosa's World Map. Do you know why this would be the case? Also, if I delete wonders from the Spanish cities using the cheat menu, I can no longer build them again.

I think the 'use wonders as objectives' option prevents the construction of new wonders. Maybe check that.

Hi minipow01,

Prof. Garfield is correct. When creating the scenario Jesus toggled the "Count wonders as objectives" flag to on which when done prevents a player from building any new wonder.

I don't know if this was his intention from the start or whether he was unaware of this feature but this is the consequence of doing so.

Last edited:
Yes, that totally explains it. I had checked that the expiration advances were all set to "nil", but didn't realize counting wonders as objectives prevents the building of them. It's good to learn something new from seasoned scenario designers!

Did ToT change something? I knew Wonders as Objectives locked out anything that was already researched, but I'm sure in the original Civ2 anything new was still buildable.

Hi Thorvald of Lym,

No, I checked the original MGE scenario and the results are consistent with ToT. It makes sense when you think of it. If a scenario is based on scoring a specific number of objective points to win and wonders are part of that score, you wouldn't want a player to be able to build additional wonders beyond those the game starts with to artificially boost that score (at least that's how I imagine the developers of Civ must have viewed it).

Last edited:
Maybe it was a Vanilla thing. I distinctly remember being able to build the Manhattan Project in the original WWII scenario.

Maybe it was a Vanilla thing. I distinctly remember being able to build the Manhattan Project in the original WWII scenario.

I believe it might have started the game under construction with just a few shields toward building it, which I believe would have been a workaround.

Leonel`s Cold War Flashpoint scenario for FW converted to Test of Time:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/cold-war-flashpoint-for-test-of-time.25197/

Small changes in some units of the Warsaw Pact, I have reinforced the industrial capacity of the western countries and have modified the events to reinforce the military capacity of the NATO countries. A question about the latter: is there any chance that I have not exceeded the maximum Events size allowed for any version of ToT?

Hi Gapeit,

If you include the 'EventHeapSize' parameter in the @COSMIC2 section of the rules.txt file you should no longer have size limits.

As per the ToTPP reference guide:

Event heap: Enables the @COSMIC2 key 'EventHeapSize'

Taking up to 2 values, the first is the (initial) heap size to be used for events in bytes. The second value flags static/dynamic memory allocation. When set to 1, it allows the event heap to dynamically allocate more memory when needed. Dynamic mode is especially recommended when making use of delayed events, in which case a particularly expensive "defragmentation" operation to reclaim space is skipped. Defaults to "106480, 1".

Hasn't the available events size been increased with ToTPP?
Yes Fairline, there are almost no limits.

Hi Gapeit,

If you include the 'EventHeapSize' parameter in the @COSMIC2 section of the rules.txt file you should no longer have size limits.

As per the ToTPP reference guide:

Event heap: Enables the @COSMIC2 key 'EventHeapSize'

Taking up to 2 values, the first is the (initial) heap size to be used for events in bytes. The second value flags static/dynamic memory allocation. When set to 1, it allows the event heap to dynamically allocate more memory when needed. Dynamic mode is especially recommended when making use of delayed events, in which case a particularly expensive "defragmentation" operation to reclaim space is skipped. Defaults to "106480, 1".

I think we all play with ToTPP, but I try that although I include in almost all conversions @COSMIC2 as an improvement, it can also be played without PP ... but I do think you are right, I am not going to accept the limits in events , when the solution is so easy.

Two medieval scenarios with changes from Catfish to ToT conversions: in Rules, Icons and SCN. I think I am not mistaken, Fairline, that if you are playing the great scenario of John Ellis -Seize the Crown! - with your wonderful units, you will see how, when you have been playing for a long time, most of the units disappear from the scenario, or in the cities " independent " the defenders disappear.
Am I right or not? :mischief:

HAMMER OF THE NORTH by Morten Blaabjerg

Seize the Crown! by John Ellis

Attachments

• ToT_Hammer.rar
    2.2 MB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Two medieval scenarios with changes from Catfish to ToT conversions: in Rules, Icons and SCN. I think I am not mistaken, Fairline, that if you are playing the great scenario of John Ellis -Seize the Crown! - with your wonderful units, you will see how, when you have been playing for a long time, most of the units disappear from the scenario, or in the cities " independent " the defenders disappear.
Am I right or not? :mischief:

Maybe I'm not very observant, but things seemed OK in my game. Do you mean barbs disappear after a while, as this is a 'feature' of ToT is it not?

Top Bottom