Modified Scenarios Workshop

Here I include the Dark Lord - the War of the Rings scenario by Carl Fritz ToT scenario with the latest changes: I have changed it to fantasy (with changes also in technology and sound) and I have modified the terrain of Minas Tirith to make it more difficult to conquer (I forgot how to move the cities with the keu CivMoveCity application :wallbash: and in the end I had to change it with hex editing :whew:, does anyone have the keu readme of its use?).

But there is an unexpected change that I don't like :help:: I had to change the population size to 19 for the city Favored Flight model to appear. Does anyone know how to maintain that model of a city with less population?

Gapetit, I understand that you want to make the largest Gondor city graphic appear for a population size of 12. The population ranges for each of the 4 city graphics depend on their row in cities.bmp. Gondor is using the 7th row, which is labeled "Renaissance" in a fantasy game. Based on some testing by Knighttime, Row 7 has ranges of 1-4, 5-10, 11-18, 19+. This is why you needed to change the size of Minas Tirith to 19.

It sounds like you would prefer to make Gondor correspond to Row 5 (Industrial), which has ranges of 1-4, 5-7, 8-10, 11+. This can be achieved by giving Gondor the Extra Advance 1 (X1) technology and removing the Extra Advance 2 (X2) technology. Of course, you would need to make an adjustment to Harad's technologies, as they are currenlty using Row 5.

The easiest solution is to edit the graphics in cities.bmp such that the last 2 walled graphics for Row 7 are identical. That way you can get the desired look for Minas Tirith (but also Pelargir & Dol Amroth) without having to manually adjust the population size. Attached is an example.

Attachments

• Cities.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Gapetit, I understand that you want to make the largest Gondor city graphic appear for a population size of 12. The population ranges for each of the 4 city graphics depend on their row in cities.bmp. Gondor is using the 7th row, which is labeled "Renaissance" in a fantasy game. Based on some testing by Knighttime, Row 7 has ranges of 1-4, 5-10, 11-18, 19+. This is why you needed to change the size of Minas Tirith to 19.

It sounds like you would prefer to make Gondor correspond to Row 5 (Industrial), which has ranges of 1-4, 5-7, 8-10, 11+. This can be achieved by giving Gondor the Extra Advance 1 (X1) technology and removing the Extra Advance 2 (X2) technology. Of course, you would need to make an adjustment to Harad's technologies, as they are currenlty using Row 5.

The easiest solution is to edit the graphics in cities.bmp such that the last 2 walled graphics for Row 7 are identical. That way you can get the desired look for Minas Tirith (but also Pelargir & Dol Amroth) without having to manually adjust the population size. Attached is an example.
Thank you very much minipow for the translation, that is the problem and I did not understand how a previous civilization needs larger amounts of population for the change of appearance. Your solution is the Best. Now I have to see how I get that with occupied land it does not lose population or other cities will have 12.
:goodjob:

I think that in the end I am going to change Gondor to Industrial, Harad I am going to place it in Rhun, and Rhun not having a very different city appearance, I will pass it to Invention. Let's see what graphics I use for the people of Rhun, but I think this solves the whole problem.

Have you thought about using the CitySpritesPerTribe feature in Cosmic2? This might be the best solution. It does not solve the population size issue, but it lets you select unique city styles for each tribe. For example, both Gondor and Rhun currently use Row 7 of cities.bmp. You could give them different city styles without having to adjust their technologies. The trick is to make custom Cities.bmp files for each tribe. Here is how you could make it happen:

1) In the rules.txt file, paste the following:
@COSMIC2
CitySpritesPerTribe, 1

2) In your scenario folder, create 7 Cities.bmp files. The label of the file needs to correspond to the tribe #. Rhun is the 3rd tribe and Gondor is the 6th tribe. Therefore, you would create a CitiesT3.bmp file and a CitiesT6.bmp file. The city graphics in Row 7 can be different for the two files. Attached is an example. Gondor and Rhun will have different city appearances!

3) For the other 5 tribes, you would simply take the original Cities.bmp file and make 5 copies. You would rename them as CitiesT1.bmp, CitiesT2.bmp, CitiesT4.bmp, etc.

Attachments

• CitiesT3.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 66
  • CitiesT6.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 59
Have you thought about using the CitySpritesPerTribe feature in Cosmic2? This might be the best solution. It does not solve the population size issue, but it lets you select unique city styles for each tribe. For example, both Gondor and Rhun currently use Row 7 of cities.bmp. You could give them different city styles without having to adjust their technologies. The trick is to make custom Cities.bmp files for each tribe. Here is how you could make it happen:

1) In the rules.txt file, paste the following:
@COSMIC2
CitySpritesPerTribe, 1

2) In your scenario folder, create 7 Cities.bmp files. The label of the file needs to correspond to the tribe #. Rhun is the 3rd tribe and Gondor is the 6th tribe. Therefore, you would create a CitiesT3.bmp file and a CitiesT6.bmp file. The city graphics in Row 7 can be different for the two files. Attached is an example. Gondor and Rhun will have different city appearances!

3) For the other 5 tribes, you would simply take the original Cities.bmp file and make 5 copies. You would rename them as CitiesT1.bmp, CitiesT2.bmp, CitiesT4.bmp, etc.
Thanks for the ideas Minipow, and share your knowledge, because I did not know these possibilities.I am playing a game as Mordor, and it is true that the conquest of Minas Tirith is costing me very much despite a very powerful deployment of catapults as I lost my aerial advantage when there was an eagle in the city. In this case, I have not changed the cities and I keep the 19 population, but it does not affect the appearance at all in principle, so perhaps it will lower the population to 12 or keep it with 19 ... I have modified the power of Isengard because I could conquer Helm's Deep very quickly by placing the ogres (You had 3 at hand, and I have the doubt whether to lower it to 2 or 1, replacing them with units of wargs) a fortification from where I could stop and defeat Rohan's cavalry, opening the way to that fortress. I have created the uruk-hai units for evens since Gandalf's escape, wondering how to represent the 10,000 warriors, with 5 or 10 units (which for a human player is a lot).I think I'm not going to make any more changes, maybe lower the royal guard of Minas Tirith from 3 to 2, and I don't know whether to lower the population of the city to 12 and the other larger ones to 10, to ensure maintaining the special appearance of the city and the different populations for civilizations.

In the end I have followed the first advice of minipow and I think that the conversion can be finished. I hope you like it, and if there is no problem, I will upload it to the scenarios downloads in the near future.

DARKLORD A CIV2 SCENARIO BY CARL FRITZ
Title.gif

https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/dark-lord-the-war-of-the-rings.29027/

Last edited:
Nice job. I think those changes make sense. Even though Helm's Deep can be conquered quickly, the counterattack by Ents is very strong. I had to retreat after capturing Helm's Deep.

I was able to stay in Helm's Deep because one of the Ents went to another city, although I had quite a few troop losses. The uruk-hai allowed me to spread out even though I lost most of them. What I am going to lose is Isengard, because I have no chance against the Ent attack. I have already managed to conquer Minas Tirith and defeat Gandafl the Gray, but the game is still very entertaining. An excellent scenario by Carl Fritz.

I have made a new version -2.1-, using the keu program to include two rivers in two cities to make them stronger and include by events the war between the different civilizations, and I take this opportunity to thank those who have liked the conversion. I have taken the opportunity to include some more unit by Fairline, too. I hope you like the changes (reinforcing Harad's defenses with wonder).
:hatsoff:

Thanks to Fairline I include a new modification of the ToT conversion of the Jesús Muñoz Fernández scenario: The Thirty Years War.
The .scn debugging issue (Fairline warned me about) has been fixed and has some awesome new graphics (Fairline too). The result I think is the best end point for my participation in Civ-2. I will no longer include any more improvements or changes to any of the conversions made. I hope you enjoy them, improve them and are encouraged to perform new coversions or new scenarios. Have fun and be happy

https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/the-thirty-years’-war-for-tot.24235/

The result I think is the best end point for my participation in Civ-2. I will no longer include any more improvements or changes to any of the conversions made. I hope you enjoy them, improve them and are encouraged to perform new coversions or new scenarios. Have fun and be happy

Thanks to Fairline I include a new modification of the ToT conversion of the Jesús Muñoz Fernández scenario: The Thirty Years War.
The .scn debugging issue (Fairline warned me about) has been fixed and has some awesome new graphics (Fairline too). The result I think is the best end point for my participation in Civ-2. I will no longer include any more improvements or changes to any of the conversions made. I hope you enjoy them, improve them and are encouraged to perform new coversions or new scenarios. Have fun and be happy

https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/the-thirty-years’-war-for-tot.24235/

Many thanks for your hard work with all of the scenario conversions Gapetit. It's sad news that you are leaving; take care!

gapetit, thank you very much for all your great work! :thanx:

I will no longer include any more improvements or changes to any of the conversions made. I hope you enjoy them, improve them and are encouraged to perform new coversions or new scenarios.

This would left some place that you could create something completely new. :think:

Top Bottom