MODS compatible with Vox Populi (VP)

VPPI logo.jpg

https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/vp-promo-icons.26929/

Hey guys. I was wondering how would one make a custom civ playable in VP? I played about 80 turns with Touhou - Houraisan Kaguya's Eientei on Prince but all AI seem to have about 6 techs more than me. I was wondering whether there was a way for me to edit base stats (or even just copy it from another VP Civ) just to make it playable. I really want to get it working since their ability perfectly fits my playstyle. I'm afraid that even if I try to compete the bonuses for AI will stack and it will get to a point where I will just not be able to do anything. Don't want to waste 300 turns.

Hey guys. I was wondering how would one make a custom civ playable in VP? I played about 80 turns with Touhou - Houraisan Kaguya's Eientei on Prince but all AI seem to have about 6 techs more than me. I was wondering whether there was a way for me to edit base stats (or even just copy it from another VP Civ) just to make it playable. I really want to get it working since their ability perfectly fits my playstyle. I'm afraid that even if I try to compete the bonuses for AI will stack and it will get to a point where I will just not be able to do anything. Don't want to waste 300 turns.
You probably want to compare it to Venice in term of power.
Also, before trying to balance your custom civ, make sure you are able to win (or compete) with a standard civ.
You may also want to take a look at this thread: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/vox-populi-compatible-civilizations-showcase.574461/ to see how others civs have beed adapted for VP.

I usually play on Emperor or King. The only reason I play on Prince with this civ is because the author said it would be unplayable weak. Despite my capital being really big one I was not able to secure a Diplomatic marriage (which is basically expanding) because I was usually in red with GPT or I was just making very little(it costs over 300 gold + you have to be ally for 10 turns). It feels like science and gold are way too weak.

Rather than what to do with the civ I wanted instructions HOW to edit these stats. Thank you for your input nontheless.

This is difficult to answer, because you need someone who knows both the civ and VP and also at least a bit of coding. You can go to the xml/sql files of the civ and fiddle with the values there, it is not too difficult to read - do I understand correctly that it's UA, UU, UB are too weak compared to VP civs? So maybe you just need to increase the he values there?

@Moi Magnus has a good point though, are you doing well with the standard VP civs? I am probably too casual of a player, but for me the civ uniques are usually not such a big deal.

I love playing Venice but not being able to annex city destroys the experience for me. That's why this custom Civ perfectly fits my playstyle which is to build really impressive capital. I don't care about special units and such. I feel like it could use some buffs to early Science and gold.

As I said in my previous post. I usually play on King and Emperor and I'm able to win those games. I shouldn't be about 6 techs behind by turn 90. Especially when I had a really nice start and my capital was at like 16 pop already. Felt like I was just not producing enough science and gold. Since this Civ cannot build settlers I have to rely on my gold per turn to get about 400 gold as soon as possible to get a Diplomatic Marriage.

#Edit: Just tried playing another game with this civ and sadly it seems like it's completely bugged in VP. Out of nowhere I was getting about 90k Great Scientist points and basically spawning one every turn. Really sad, really wanted to get this to work :(

Last edited:
Two comments to the list of the compatible mods.

1. "Barbarians - Unlimited Exp" and "No XP Cap from Barbarians" have no effect. The reason is that CBP changes BARBARIAN_MAX_XP_VALUE to 45 and this overrides any changes made by the other mods. A workaround: in the mod files find the file MODS\(2) Community Balance Overhaul\Balance Changes\CoreDefines.sql (at my computer this is in my user profile among the Civ V files) and change the value to -1."

2. "Promotions - Ancient Ruins Choice" behaves in a very strange way. All Scouts start with Scouting 2 (this means that the map is being discovered very fast), two or more Ancient Ruins give random effects and sometimes there are strange effects with ancient techs (in one game after discovery of IIRC Masonry I got also Trapping and the tech which reveal Horses),

S.

I have some doubts about War Weariness and Barbarian Evolved working together, can someone reassure me?

Last edited:
So there is no way to play with "More luxury resources" with only CP?
Did you tried the steam version of "More Luxury" ? (so not the one in the autoinstaller)

Warning: be sure to never have installed at the same time the More Luxury from steam and the More Luxury from the autoinstaller. It makes the mod manager bug.

Here are a few mods that I play with that seem fine:

Contextual Unit Names III - Enemy Reconnaissance - Renames units based on era and birth city; customizable
Contextual Unit Names - UI (Add-On) - Changes the unit panel for the better when using the above mod
Religion - Recurring Purchase Notify - Essential mod; should be incorporated into VP. Notifies whenever you reach the threshold for purchasing something, not just the cheapest thing.
Surkritact's Civ VI Style City Names - Semi-randomizes your city names so your second city is not always the same. Great if you play the same Civ a lot.

Contextual Unit Names and it's add on are listed as incompatible with EUI on the first page of this thread. That is not the case. It changes EUI's unit panel, but works fine. I like this better than EUI's panel.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the update, @Questdog. I appreciate the easy-to-copy-paste formatting :thumbsup:

Regarding the Promotion tree, I do not remember what the incompatibility issue was and who reported it. I think I may have tried it myself and had some problems with it long time ago. Maybe it was an incompatibility issue with another non-VP mod ... ? Anyway, if it works for you, then it should for everyone, I moved it to the list of compatible ones.

Thanks!

Have you guys seen that Gedemon is back, he's come up with "R.E.D. DLL for BNW (include Revolutions and Cultural Diffusion)" which has his Revolution and Cultural diffusion mod all together and less glitchy. Have you considered looking into compatibility for it?

Anyone tried finding a way to get these 2 to work together?
RED DLL and Community Patch.

Top Bottom