MODS compatible with Vox Populi (VP)

Anyone tried finding a way to get these 2 to work together?
RED DLL and Community Patch.
I've actually tried and it loads, but it conflicted with something in my setup. Might've been JFDLC or / and CP. So, at some point it crashes...

I've actually tried and it loads, but it conflicted with something in my setup. Might've been JFDLC or / and CP. So, at some point it crashes...
Even if they load and you manage to run the game, one will not be active. As I said in the post above, you can only have 1 DLL mod active a time.

I have to say, the compatibility between VP and Yet (Not) Another Earth Maps Pack is tempestuous at best- which is a legit shame, I really want to play the two together. Can anyone post a more in-depth guide to how to get the two working reliably together?

EDIT: Ignore me didn't properly read instructions.

On Future World, there actually *is* a fix for it to be compatible now- follow the instructions on the last page of the compatibility thread, can't link to it presumably because I'm a newbie :V

Last edited:
Thanks, @horngeek. I am not sure what the compatibility of the YNAEMP is right now. Seems the old workarounds stopped working, but never tried myself.

Which compatibility thread are you refering to regarding the Future World? Not this one, I suppose???

VP Promo Icons 1.9

NEW ! Promotion Flags EUI (v 1.1) fully supported

Download now !
pfeui show.png

Thanks for making this list! I went through all the mods I could find and I've got some questions about some of them:

Regarding the Whoward Pick'N Mix Mods: many of the mods there say they require a DLL mod; am I correct in assuming that VP's DLL works for those unless they've been listed under "incompatible"?

And another question about these two mods: Units Awake In Danger and No Radaring Exploit. These seem so obviously beneficial that they're almost bug fixes (especially the latter one); are those really not incorporated in VP? Maybe we should nudge @Gazebo to include them before he gets to his gold version?

Furthermore, regarding the Coastal Waters Only mod: I could swear I remember there being an update to VP sometime in the last two years that did something similar, no? I searched a bit on the forums but I could not find that...can anyone remember if something like this was included in VP (limiting a city's expansion into ocean tiles)? IIRC cities do expand into ocean still, just with a low preference, but wasn't there some limitation put in?

Finally, regarding the City Expansion mod: it is listed as incompatible with EUI, which is a real shame! I did some searching and found that inclusion of this mod was briefly discussed about 2 years ago, but to no result. Does anyone know if there is a way to make it compatible with EUI somehow? Alternatively, where could I try and nudge someone with programming experience to look at it? The last time it was discussed many people seemed to like that mod a lot and I'd like to use it as well but I also want to have EUI active.

That is all, thanks to anyone taking the time to answer!

Water tiles can be better than land tiles with policies and buildings. Why restrict them when they can be good?

Thanks for making this list! I went through all the mods I could find and I've got some questions about some of them:

Regarding the Whoward Pick'N Mix Mods: many of the mods there say they require a DLL mod; am I correct in assuming that VP's DLL works for those unless they've been listed under "incompatible"?

And another question about these two mods: Units Awake In Danger and No Radaring Exploit. These seem so obviously beneficial that they're almost bug fixes (especially the latter one); are those really not incorporated in VP? Maybe we should nudge @Gazebo to include them before he gets to his gold version?

Furthermore, regarding the Coastal Waters Only mod: I could swear I remember there being an update to VP sometime in the last two years that did something similar, no? I searched a bit on the forums but I could not find that...can anyone remember if something like this was included in VP (limiting a city's expansion into ocean tiles)? IIRC cities do expand into ocean still, just with a low preference, but wasn't there some limitation put in?

Finally, regarding the City Expansion mod: it is listed as incompatible with EUI, which is a real shame! I did some searching and found that inclusion of this mod was briefly discussed about 2 years ago, but to no result. Does anyone know if there is a way to make it compatible with EUI somehow? Alternatively, where could I try and nudge someone with programming experience to look at it? The last time it was discussed many people seemed to like that mod a lot and I'd like to use it as well but I also want to have EUI active.

That is all, thanks to anyone taking the time to answer!

Neither of those first two are needed.

G

Water tiles can be better than land tiles with policies and buildings. Why restrict them when they can be good?
Fair enough, but I was thinking of realism and more practical movement at sea: In reality states can only claim their full right of control over a ca. 20 km strip off the coast (with some limited control given beyond that) and one of the things that I'm not sure I like about Civ 5 is how coastal cities can balloon out to the sea and block navies from navigating the waters there. Furthermore, I think right now cities in VP can expand even beyond their working radius out at sea, which can't be justified by yields since there are none (save for the expansion yields, I suppose).

Anyway, gonna try and set up a game with a larger number of mods to test many of them out...hopefully it works out; I'll post my modlist here if I don't encounter major issues, though it could take a while.

You have a good memory, that was on github however, not the forums. I made the request with justification as to why coastal tiles mod should be added. It was incorporated with a limitation that it would only be active until the relevant tech was discovered.
https://github.com/LoneGazebo/Community-Patch-DLL/issues/4353
Spoiler Coastal :
Problems with cities having ocean tiles:
Extremely low yields
Blocks early/mid-game travel for civs uncovering fog of war
Blocks mid game travel for establish sea trade routes
Creates deadlocks for ships at sea leading to wars otherwise unnecessary
Prevents artificial dead spots in between owned territories
Comparable to moden day Maritime Law/Admiralty Law, civs do not have so much of the ocean claimed as owned territory
FIX: Global - Coastal Waters Only Mod:

So, there are a few other whoward69 mods that are very useful and could be added. But, there is also the point of Gazebo wanting to keep the codebase as small as possible. So, each add is very carefully considered since lua code has to be converted to c++ and anything too big is just not an option because of the win32 4GB address space.
This, for example I opened on balance section as I feel that it should be incorporated into VP base, do you agree?
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/pathfinders-and-scouts-ignore-borders.636601/
Spoiler Open Borders :
The purpose of Open Borders is to prevent unlawful entry of units into nation's borders. I feel that disallowing Pathfinders and Scouts is in letter with the law but against the spirit of the law. These are just a few of the reasons I submit.
Pathfinder/Scout becomes land-locked in tiles(s) between sea and nation with no Open Borders agreement causing units to idle indefinitely.
Pathfinder/Scout becomes land-locked in tiles(s) between two nations and or same nation causing untis to idle at their border.
Pathfinder/Scout on Epic and Marathon speed games cannot explore and becomes useless if and until Open Borders agreement.
Players can choose to never open borders thus cutting off any advances by scouting units causing a veritable blackhole of tiles explored.
Pathfinder/Scout is not particularly useful as an attacking unit therfore even in numbers cannot be used as exploit.
New players, the inability to scout will lead to frustration and cause the player to feel that war is inevitable when there are other options.

What other whoward69 mods are you feeling should be considered?

Last edited:
You have a good memory, that was on github however, not the forums. I made the request with justification as to why coastal tiles mod should be added. It was incorporated with a limitation that it would only be active until the relevant tech was discovered.
Sometimes I forget things in 5 minutes but other times I'm as wise as an elephant :D
Well I guess I'd like to suggest that this feature be expanded to prevent cities from claiming ocean tiles they cannot work, even after Compass; I really dislike the ballooning of cities so far into the ocean.

What other whoward69 mods are you feeling should be considered?
I made a post in the thread you linked; there are some relevant mods there that I suggested since I'm not really happy with just allowing scouting units to roam around freely.

WRT other mods I'd have to do some testing to make sure they work properly, but here are some mods that I don't want to play without (other than VP):
And here are some that are less essential but still really good and might still be useful to integrate IMO:
  • List Enhancements For VP is pretty useful and works well
  • Civilization Appropriate Great General And Admiral makes sure that the GA and GG names are civ-appropriate, which I think is quite important for immersion (update: tested, works)
  • as I remarked in the Scouts ignore borders thread in General Balance, these 3 mods could add some recon depth to VP: Improved Air Recon (update: tested, works; some small adjustments to fix some text issues can be found here), Subs Ignore Borders (update: tested, works; needs update for ENW, however), Espionage Mapping (update: tested, needs extensive modification to be compatible)
  • Faster Aircraft Animations is pretty useful for late game wars...not sure if it would warrant inclusion in VP, though (update: tested, works)
  • Religious Settlers is a mod that seems almost like a bugfix to me, considering that a religious city will naturally have religious settlers (update: tested, works)
  • Marble Shipments makes the WW boosting property of marble more flexible, which I like a lot
  • City State Airbases is a cool mod that allows stationing aircraft in allied city states, which makes a lot of sense, I think (maybe as part of the Imperialism tree?)
Some more really cool mods that don't need to be included in VP, however, IMO:
  • UI Religion Spread Vox Populi is a nice UI tool to get some more data about religion (update: tested, works)
  • VP Promo Icons is a really pretty mod, but I think it's fine as a mod-mod (update: tested, works)
  • City States Leaders For VP is another really pretty immersion mod, but it's also fine as a mod-mod, I think (update: tested, works)
  • Missiles No Supply because I don't like missiles using up supply (update: seems to be incompatible with VP!)
  • Capture Great People update3: compatible with VP again!
  • LUAJIT (Faster Turns) isn't really a mod, but referencing that in a more prominent place would be useful, especially for players that have less-than-ideal hardware (update: tested, works)
Big mods that should remain unintegrated, but that are really good (these should all work):
Finally some mods that I kinda like but that I'd have to test first to see if I wanna keep them:
  • Promotion Tree can help people better understand the progression of promos (update: tested, mostly works; see "Edit6" below)
  • Upgrade Tree is similar; shows upgrade paths for units (update: tested, works)
  • Treegrowth looks interesting but I'll have to test it
  • Reforestation is something I've wanted for a long time but it doesn't seem to be well balanced; I am currently testing and modifying this mod
  • Mechanized Infantry With Soldiers is a mod that fixes what bothered me for a long time
  • Cultural Diversity looks pretty nice and would add a lot of immersion but it seems to have compatibility issues (maybe I'll test it, though)
  • Hex Conquer And Release is a pretty wild mod that I might try; it probably shouldn't be integrated into VP though or we'll have some sort of revolt :lol:

There are, of course, more mods with potential for VP out there, but these are the ones I felt were most worth mentioning. Maybe some of the better, more polished, but not integrated mods could find their place in the recommended mods list in the installer thread?

I'll post again later this month, once I've tested some of these, about any issues (maybe I'll just update this post then).

Edit1: it appears that Marble Shipments has a problematic dependency; since I don't wanna spend effort on investigating I'm dropping that mod.
Edit2: added updated versions of Promotion Tree and Upgrade Tree
Edit3: updated some entries
Edit4: updated again
Edit5: Capture Great People is compatible with VP again!
Edit6: the Promotion Tree mod unfortunately has some issues in late game; see here
Edit7: Missiles No Supply unfortunately doesn't seem to work anymore with VP; the ENW mod has some minor issue, which can be fixed as described here
Edit8: Subs Immune Under Ice seems to work fine; there are some smaller issue with Improved Air recon, which you can fix as described here

Last edited:
Improved City View, especially if @Infixo adds the feature that allows normal UI mode to be used along with it (no Small Assets requirement); in that case I would even add it to the top listd.
Wow, you guys really want it that way :) I have no choice but to do so, haha :)

Just a little question since I'm a noob with Civ5 modding:

If a VP file called XYZ.xml exists in my MODS folder and I have another mod with the same file, but slightly different content, does the other mod automatically take priority always if it is further down the list or do I need to delete the file in VP?
And a followup: if I merge the VP file into the mod file (and don't screw up) that should preserve the functionality of both, at least in theory, right?

I'm asking because the manual installation instructions for VP specify that the LUA folders of CP and CBO be deleted and the old version of Improved City View also specified that two files in the (6a) component had to be deleted, so I'm a bit confused why this seems to be necessary sometimes but not always.

You need to figure out which file / mod loads as the first and which one as the second. The second one will ALWAYS overwrite the first one.
In .modinfo there are lines that are used to control this process, they create dependencies between mods.
Example from ICV (new):
Code:
  <Dependencies>
    <Mod id="d1b6328c-ff44-4b0d-aad7-c657f83610cd" minversion="88" maxversion="999" title="(1) Community Patch" />
  </Dependencies>
It means that ICV will always load AFTER (1) CP.
Code:
  <References>
    <Mod id="24923240-e4fb-4bf6-8f0e-6e5b6cf4d3c2" minversion="0" maxversion="999" title="(6a) CBO Compatibility (EUI)" />
    <Mod id="6521c02b-1c78-4826-a5b0-faed86235e98" minversion="0" maxversion="999" title="(6c) 43 Civs CP" />
  </References>
These, in theory, means that if there are (6a) or (6c) activated, ICV SHOULD load after them. I am saying "in theory" and "should" because I have heard opinions that References are buggy and not always working. For me they seem to work :D But maybe some other factors are in play e.g. I always activate VP first, run a test game, and then activate other mods.

Anyway, without those lines, the load order is unpredictable. Probably related to the order in which you activate mods (click on them). So, in this case, the ONLY way to ensure compatibility is to delete problematic files. That is why old ICV had this instruction - because it didn't have dependencies nor references, so it was possible that it could load before VP and then VP would overwrite CityView files.

• Destination (there is another, similar mod called Unit Path Viewer, which I have used, but it has bugs and some unnecessary features; Destination seems more on point but I haven't tested it yet)
  • Promotion Flags EUI (haven't tested this new version yet but I used to use an older version and I can't play without it
Destination I use as one of my primary UI mods because it does what it does well and with a single 2KB LUA file. I'm not a fan of Unit Path Viewer, it is a combination of four LUAs with a combined size of 80KB and is known to be problematic. Promotion Flags EUI must be used in lieu of the original because of it's compatibility with VP. The original is a resource hog and will cause inevitable crashes on most systems.
  • City State Airbases is a cool mod that allows stationing aircraft in allied city states, which makes a lot of sense, I think (maybe as part of the Imperialism tree?)
Along with List Enhancements for VP, consider @adan_eslavo works, some of which you already mentioned (More Unique Components for VP, Promotion Overhaul for VP, Trade Opportunities for VP, City-States Leaders for VP, Wonder Planner for VP, Alternative Component Names for VP, Meaningful Colours, Capture+++, Free Recon Units). All of which have their place depending on what type of game you're looking for. At the very least, his UI mods are beneficial to anyone looking for more information in-game. He's very good about ensuring restricted data is kept that way so as to not be cheating. City State Airbases seems interesting but what happens if you lose Allied status with a CS, does that craft return home to nearest city? Faster Aircraft Animations is included as an SQL file inside of Quick Turns mod if you're looking for a combination mod.
  • LUAJIT (Faster Turns) isn't really a mod, but referencing that in a more prominent place would be useful, especially for players that have less-than-ideal hardware
LUAJIT in my experience hasn't had any effect but if someone has time and wants to run with and without and do a speed comparison with a save file and produce statistics, that would be nice. Otherwise, I can only see it as a the placebo effect for any changes witnessed.
  • Promotion Tree can help people better understand the progression of promos (I hope it works despite the frequent promo changes)
Promotion Tree and Upgrade Tree both by @akamal have VP compatible versions posted here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...x-populi-with-eui.627067/page-3#post-15011081.

Last edited:
City State Airbases seems interesting but what happens if you lose Allied status with a CS, does that craft return home to nearest city?
Well I haven't tested yet but according to the description
Code:
Permits up to three aircraft (but not missiles or nukes) to be based in allied city states. 

Any aircraft in a City State you are no longer allies with will be rebased to the nearest friendly city/unit. If none are within range, the aircraft will be disbanded.

Promotion Tree and Upgrade Tree both by @akamal have VP compatible versions posted here:
Thanks, I didn't see that these were updated!

I'm just about done preparing my mods; I've had to write a little tool to help me check compatibility and modify some mods and it seems I messed up somewhat with my Promotion Flags for EUI thing, but I'll try to fix it. Everything else I tried so far seems to work pretty much but I'll give a much more detailed accounting of what I did once I play a bit and know what works and what doesn't and how to fix things.

I'm just about done preparing my mods; I've had to write a little tool to help me check compatibility and modify some mods and it seems I messed up somewhat with my Promotion Flags for EUI thing, but I'll try to fix it. Everything else I tried so far seems to work pretty much but I'll give a much more detailed accounting of what I did once I play a bit and know what works and what doesn't and how to fix things.
To check compatibility? For merging I use ModTools by @whoward69. Wonderful tool that is as long as the mods are non conflicting!

http://www.picknmixmods.com/utilities/modtools/util.html
Spoiler ModMerge :

Code:
    <Name>Global - Compendium</Name>
    <Description>Comprising the following mods:
  AI - No CS Annexers,
  CIV-Linked Great Generals,
  Diplomacy - Auto-Denounce,
  Global - Commander Influence Borders,
  Global - Local Generals,
  Global - No Ocean Plundering,
  Global - Pro-rata Buildings Purchase,
  Global - Random City Names,
  Global - Religious Settlers,
  Religion - Randomise,
  Religion - Recurring Purchase Notify,
  Units - No Mechs,
  Units - Visible Trade Units,</Description>
    <Stability>Beta</Stability>
    <Authors>ModMerge Utility</Authors>

Last edited:
To check compatibility? For merging I use ModTools by @whoward69. Wonderful tool that is as long as the mods are non conflicting!
Yeah I saw that but I just needed a quick tool to tell me where possible conflicts are and what the last-modified time stamps of the relevant files are, so I made a little quick 'n dirty Java Program that lists files with the same file name (duplicates) with their paths and last-modified dates.
Spoiler if you like to try it out, requires JDK1.8 or higher :

file name should be Civ5ModCompatHelper.java
Code:
// This program compiles a list of files, recursively, from a target folder, and then
// lists all the files that occur multiple times (with respect to their file name) in
// different folders along with their last-modified dates.
// There exists an option to include a number of Strings that are not to be considered.
// Simply add those as command line parameters (space separated); they won't be case sensitive
// The target folder needs to be specified as the first command line argument
// If no command line arguments are supplied, the program uses the path to the MODS folder
// of a standard installation of Civ 5 on Windows.

import java.util.*;
import java.nio.file.*;
import java.io.IOException;

public class Civ5ModCompatHelper {
    HashMap<String, ArrayList<Path>> fileMap = new HashMap<>();
    ArrayList<String> filterWords;

private void processPath(Path p, boolean filter) {
        String fileName = p.getFileName().toString();
        if (filter && filterWords.contains(fileName.toLowerCase())) return;
        if (fileMap.containsKey(fileName)) fileMap.get(fileName).add(p);
        else {
            fileMap.put(fileName, new ArrayList<Path>());
            fileMap.get(fileName).add(p);
        }
    }

private void printFilePaths(Map.Entry<String, ArrayList<Path>> mapping) {
        System.out.println("\n" + mapping.getKey() + "\n");
        try {
            for (Path p : mapping.getValue())
                System.out.println(p.toString() + "     " + Files.getLastModifiedTime(p).toString());
        } catch (SecurityException e) {
            System.err.println("Cannot access one of the files in the working dir!");
            System.exit(1);            
        } catch (IOException e) {
            System.err.println("An IOException occurred while trying to access last-modified time stamps on a file! Exiting...");
            System.exit(1);
        }
        System.out.println("\n\n");
    }

private void processFiles(String workingDir, ArrayList<String> exceptions) {
        filterWords = exceptions;
        boolean filtered = (exceptions.size() != 0);

try {
            Files.walk(Paths.get(workingDir))
                 .filter(Files::isRegularFile)
                 .filter(e -> !Files.isDirectory(e))
                 .forEach(e -> processPath(e, filtered));
        } catch (SecurityException e) {
            System.err.println("Cannot access the provided path " + workingDir);
            System.exit(1);
        } catch (IOException e) {
            System.err.println("IOException caught!\n" + e.getMessage());
            System.exit(1);            
        }

fileMap.entrySet().stream()
                          .filter(e -> e.getValue().size() != 1)
                          .forEach(e -> printFilePaths(e));
    }

public static void main(String... args) {
        String targetFolder = "";
        ArrayList<String> exceptStrings = new ArrayList<>(Arrays.asList(args));

if (args.length == 1 && args[0].compareToIgnoreCase("help") == 0) {
            System.out.println("\nSyntax: Civ5ModCompatHelper targetFolder [optional]exception1 [...] [optional]exceptionN\n\nThis program compiles a list of files, recursively, from a target folder, and then lists all the files that occur multiple times (with respect to their file name) in different folders along with their last-modified dates. You can specify additional command line arguments to exclude Strings from being considered (not case sensitive). If no command line arguments are provided, the path to the MODS folder in a standard Windows install of Civ 5 will be used.");
            System.exit(0);
        } else if (args.length == 0) {
            targetFolder = System.getProperty("user.home") + "\\Documents\\My Games\\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\\MODS";
        } else {
            targetFolder = args[0];
            exceptStrings.remove(0);
            exceptStrings.replaceAll(String::toLowerCase);
        }

Civ5ModCompatHelper myHelper = new Civ5ModCompatHelper();
        myHelper.processFiles(targetFolder, exceptStrings);
    }    
}

I have now played a few rounds and I must say that the game is definitely loading faster than before, so for my machine, which is a few years old but not too shabby, LUAJIT seems to make a difference.

I'm rolling these mods right now along with VP(EUI):
Spoiler 24 mods; mods that seem to work without issue are denoted with "+"; mods that require some changes with "*" :

+ Destination
* Promotion Flags EUI (mostly works but for full compatibility with all VP features some small changes are required)
+ VP Promo Icons
+ Improved City View for VP
* Filters In Trade Route Overview (needs to be updated; I merged the more recent VP changes into the file - TradeRouteOverview.lua)
+ Trade Opportunities
+ List Enhancements For VP
+ UI Religion Spread for VP
+ City State Leaders for VP
+ Appropriate GG/GA
Missiles No Supply (currently incompatible with VP it seems)
+ Subs Immune Under Ice
+ ENW (has some small issues, see here how to fix them)
+ MUCfVP
+ EEVP
+ Subs Ignore Borders (needs a modification to work correctly when also using ENW)
Capture Great People (was incompatible with Vox Populi, is not any more. See "Edit6" below)
+ Promotion Tree (has some issues but mostly works; see "Edit7" below)
+ Upgrade Tree
+ Faster Aircraft Animations
* Espionage Mapping (needs to be heavily modified to work properly)
+ Religious Settlers
+ Reforestation
+ Improved Air Recon (has some minor issues, that can be fixed by following the instructions here)

So far I played a quick ~80 turns to test several mechanics and the only issue I encountered was that my Pathfinder was unable to capture a Polish worker on turn 5 (the worker was in Polish territory, I declared and my unit simply walked on top of him without capturing...) so that seems to be a bug for sure. I was able to fix the Promotion for EUI error by improving my modification there but I suppose I need to decide now whether to try to debug why the capture failed or keep playing to test more of the mods...
Edit: culprit identified! It's the Capture Great People Mod that caused the capture bug...I'm gonna try and fix it 'cause I really like the idea of that mod but if it won't work I'll just remove it from my list (in my test game it is simply neutered right now). Update: I have created a more VP friendly version of this mod here!
Edit2: I wasn't able to make the Capture Great People mod compatible with VP, so I had to remove it
Edit3: Am now at around 200 turns; was able to test some more of the mods so I updated the list; no new problems.
Edit4: Now at turn 260; everything still works well; I updated the list in the second spoiler again and posted a small modification to make Filters in Trade Route Overview fully compatible with newer VP versions.
Edit5: Now at turn 330; everything still works nicely; update for Espionage Mapping mod.
Edit6: Gazebo may have fixed the issue that made Capture Great People incompatible with VP on GitHub; the fix is likely to be included in the next version of VP (Jan/Feb '19) and may resolve the incompatibility issues. Edit: the issue is fixed and Capture Great People is confirmed to be compatible again!
Edit7: tested Subs Ignore Borders, which works without issue, Reforestation, which has a small bug that doesn't impact its functionality, though, and discovered some issues with the Promotion Tree mod that come up in late game; see here.
Edit8: Subs Ignore Borders unfortunately has an issue with the ENW unit Attack Submarine; it's relatively easy to fix, however. Tested Faster Aircraft Animations; no problems so far.
Edit9: Now at turn 530, game is almost over (Epic speed). Unfortunately the Missiles No Supply mod seems to be currently incompatible with VP; I opened a GitHub issue for it, so let's hope that the dev team can fix it like they (hopefully, haven't tested yet) fixed Capture Great People. Furthermore, I discovered some issues with ENW and reported them in the appropriate thread along with fixes for those who want to apply it now instead of waiting for Infixo.
Edit10: finally done with me playthrough; I won by Diplomacy on turn 552 (Epic speed) and had a science victory ready for turn 558. All mods in my list in the spoiler have been updated to their status.

Last edited:
Top Bottom