1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Mods which work in MultiPlayer

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by plasmacannon, May 19, 2012.

1. plasmacannon

plasmacannon Emperor

I will get this list started and hopefully stickied, because Not knowing this information just frustrates me. If there is an additional list somewhere on this topic, perhaps it can be combined or stickied. Just a simple list, Not 150+ posts for people to have to search through. I'd like to be able to look at a list, find and download a mod, then play it on the same day. Searching, asking questions and waiting for the right response can take awhile. Let's speed this up with a comprehensive list, so we can ignore the mods we can't use. Well, or ask if they can be modified. :)

Mods that WILL work in MultiPlayer LAN/online games.
    1) Blue Marble - Tried in BTS - By itself does work in Multiplayer LAN mode. It does have some OOS (Out of Sync) errors though.
    2) Caveman 2 Cosmos - Tried in BTS - Great Mod and does work in MultiPlayer LAN mode. Note, this is a Huge game, so wait for the long load time.
    3) PIG mod - Good Mod - Does work in MP.
    4) K-mod - Thanks En_Dotter.
    5) Pie's Ancient Europe (PAE) - is playable but has some OOS and those should be fixed in next beta relese (beta V) - Thanks En_Dotter.
    6) History Rewritten - Thanks Xyth. I've downloaded this one and it does work, but it does crash and has some OOS errors.
    7) Legends of Revolution - Thanks topsecret.
    8) Vincentz Infinite Projects [VIP MOD] - Thanks vincentz.
    9) As posts come in, I'll add them to the list.

Mods that will NOT work in MultiPlayer LAN/online games.
    1) BAT - Good mod, but I've tried this one and it only works in SinglePlayer mode.
    2) As posts come in, I'll add them to the list.

If you have tried other Mods and know them to work or Not work in MultiPlayer games, please post them below to this thread. I'm sure everyone can benefit from a concise list for their MultiPlayer games.
    Also, if certain games Only work for Civ vanilla, Warlords or BTS, please note that too.

2. dacubz145

dacubz145 Deity

What defines if a mod can play multiplayer? Does mods that don't work crash when trying to play multiplayer? I just tested my mods via hot seat and they loaded fine and played 10 turns fine. does that mean they are multiplayer compatable? Or do i need to do further testing

3. En_Dotter

En_Dotter Prince

K-mod is the most stable multiplayer mod made so far. OOS is almost 100% eliminated if not fully. Source: K-mod thread and personal experience

Pie's Ancient Europe (PAE) is playable but has some OOS and those should be fixed in next beta relese (beta V)
    Source: PAE thread

EDIT: Dont count Hot Seat games. I never had OOS error in any mod i played. The OOS happens when 2 computers dont have the same end results of the calculations. Someone should confirm this.

4. plasmacannon

plasmacannon Emperor

Correct. I wasn't including Hot Seat games, when I mention multiplayer.
    Personally, I use a LAN (Local Area Network) here at my home. A friend of mine and I use this and have had trouble looking for mods that we can use.
    I liked the BAT mod, but is only for one player. Which is fine, except for when you feel up to the challange of multiplayer games, or just want to team up with a friend against several AIs in Always War/Raging Barbarians games.
    So, if a mod can't handle that, then it isn't worth downloading, for me anyway.
    I just don't feel the need to learn all of the new differences, only to not be able to share it with others.

I can seperate the list for LAN and online multiplayer games too, if there are some mods that work in one area, but not in another, however, most of the multiplayer games work in both online and LAN.
    I will indicate which method was tested and confirmed and by whom as more get posted.

EDIT: @dacubz145, Has anyone commented on your thread, that Travel through Time will work in MultiPlayer? I sounds like a huge amount of changes and additions.
    I have tried Pie's Ancient Europe (PAE) in single player mode, but hadn't convinced my friend to try it yet.
    It's good to know it will work.
    Thanks. :)

5. cool3a2

cool3a2 Deity

That's not 100% true as Blue Marble causes trouble in combination with WoCLite based mods like RoM. Single Player Mod is fine, but Multiplayer is broken as a thousand religions get founded when founding a city. I had the same issue with my Terrain Mod (Blue Marble based) and was able to solve it only by installing the terrain art to the core files instead of the Custom Assets directory.

6. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

My mod History Rewritten (see my signature) works in multiplayer, and is compatible with both Mac and Windows.

7. plasmacannon

plasmacannon Emperor

That's good to know, cool3a2.
    In the multiplayer game I am almost done with, we just had the basic Blue Marble mod. No WoCLite mods, but the OOS errors are getting anoying. If it just that mod that is causing it, I will feel relieved to find an alternative.

@Xyth, History Rewritten looks good from the description. I will have to try that one.
    Thanks. :)

8. topsecret

topsecret Believer

I believe Legends of Revolution works in MP.

9. plasmacannon

plasmacannon Emperor

That's one of the annoying issues. Out of Snyc error messages and someone having to exit and reload. They really make mods undesirable.

10. Sn0bb

Sn0bb Chieftain

Caveman 2 Cosmos has a lot of OoS errors constantly. I don't think it is playable, atleast with simultanious turns. Or is it the case with all mods that OoS become frequent if they aren't played as non-simultanious turns?

Just wondering as we tried to play it and had an OoS errors every 3 turns from the start. Maybe someone who has played it here can give some tips if it is truly playable in MP?

11. vincentz

vincentz Programmer

12. plasmacannon

plasmacannon Emperor

Sn0bb, I have noticed a few OOS errors on it as well. I keep looking for a mod that doesn't OOS nor crash. A friend of mine even upgraded his video card up to a new 1gb one.
    vincentz, you might want to look for another site to download from. That site tried to give me a virus after opening your zip file.

13. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

mediafire is a totally legit site. Must have been something on your end :dunno:.

14. vincentz

vincentz Programmer

What kind of virus?

Im using Avast! Antivirus and Comodo Internet security and iirc mediafire checks for virus too (?), and havent got any warnings or security breaches.

Could it be a security warning because of my VIPLoader.BAT file?
    It cycles between 5 or 6 different loading screens every time it is being run, and if Civ4/BtS is placed in Program Files folder and UAC is on, it might ask you for Admin Rights.

Imho MediaFire is the best filesharing site, coz there are no waiting time, and no need to register and the size limit is reasonable.

15. plasmacannon

plasmacannon Emperor

It was a popup that suggested my computer was infected.
    I had to go into task manager and close it down 3 times to get rid of it.
    I deleted my internet files and restarted. I retried it. This time I told it to save, not open, and it worked.

Your VIP mod is very nice. I am liking most of the changes. I can confirm that it does definitely work in multiplayer. I haven't seen one OOS error yet, nor have I crashed. Which is wonderful! :)

The graphics are much better now. The 10000 BC start is great. The maps are larger than normal. We had to drop down to Small with your new Epic speed.
    I noticed the unit changes. Some were enhanced fairly. A few, possibly a bit too much, IMHO.
    The Greek Phalanx is decent now. The Immortals are more expensive, so Persia slaughtering everyone so early won't happen as often. I remember a friend conquering 3 empires before he had to think about upgrading them.
    The dog solder is a killer unit now. It going from -1str from the base, to +1 and keeping it's +100% vs melee and resourseless will surprise some. Base str was probably enough, considering it's other advantages. The same for the Jaguar. To increase it 1 is a fair change. To increase it by 2 makes it very dangerous, considering it is a resourseless UU.

I'm not sure why Native American got an IND leader. Is there a wonder here in America that I missed? I mean, the Maya built Chichen Itza, so I could see them instead.
    Harbors get a Trade Route and Fetorias get built earlier, though they were weakened, strangely.
    Babylonia's UB lost a health, England's UB lost 5%, but Explorers can be upgraded to balloons now. That is an improvement. I like that castles generate 1 GPP. They needed to be made more intisive to be built more often. Now they have so many bonuses, that they should be built.

I miss the zoom capability from other mods.
    I don't like that some of the options are not showing up, when I create a new game using a VIP map.
    I usually turn vassals off, but that is not available.
    I usually leave huts on and they are on, but others might want them off.
    I usually turn random events off, but have no option there either.
    Otherwise, the VIP Global Highlands map is awesome.

There are certain techs that are suppose to give us a Great person. On 3 occasions already it hasn't appeared (twice for the GM in 'Trade', once for the GE in 'Metal Casting'). The AIs tend to be ahead of me on my new learning curve, so I suppose they could have beaten me to them each time.
    I would definitely recommend the VIP mod to anyone.
    The K-mod crashed a few times on me or the 2nd computer here. For the VIP mod, so far so good. :)

Sorry, if I rambled here. I should have listed pros and cons in the VIP thread. Others probably have already, to some extent.

EDIT: Losing city placement at range 3 took me by surprise. I like to build some cities at range3 to keep maintenaince low. It is getting annoying that some resourses that I might have been able to get normally, I cannot now.

16. vincentz

vincentz Programmer

I took the liberty to copy/paste the post into VIP and answer it there. Lots of good input. Thanks :D
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=11608376&postcount=513

Regarding pop ups. If u are using Firefox there is an excellent plugin called AddBlock Plus with a Addblock Plus Popup blocker addon. It also removes all traces of commercials on webpages, make em faster and cleaner :D

17. Cruel

Cruel King

Realism Invictus is MP compatible.