Monarch Student Prime XII Washington

mjg5591

Prince
Welcome to the 12th installment of the Monarch Student,

This series is for those trying to get better at monarch and emperor.

Thanks to AiShizuka and Meatbuster for running the series.

Map is continents, all else default.

Leader, I also left huts and events on. If you do not want you'll have to remove them.

Washington is Charismatic and expansive, which means +2 health, 25% worker builds, double speeds for granary and harbors, +1 happy, -25% unit promotions and Extra happy person for monument and brodcast tower. Happy and healty people. Nice early vertical growth with the monuments.

His starting techs are fishing and agriculture.

UU, is the navy seal replacement for marine, a nice unit for amphibious warfare late.

UB, is the mall replacement for the supermarket with 20% extra gold.

The start,

Now to paste from Meatbuster's old Monarch Student games. Hopefully he is ok I did this.

Save the file and place it in your Documents/BTS/Saves/WorldBuilder folder. Then unzip it into your Documents/BTS/Saves/WorldBuilder folder. Then use Playing a scenario to play your desired level. Or use custom scenario if you want to remove huts and events.

Recommended Checkpoints:
*1000BC or 1AD
*500AD
*1000AD or Liberalism
*Victory!

Please remember to put the journals of your adventures inside spoiler tags.

I also made 3 saves for diffuculty. Noble-Monarch-Immortal. Please tell me if anything is wrong. Hopefully they are all ok. Let me know if they aren't. Thanks goes out to TMIT also for his guide and walkthrough which I used.

The save,

Attachments

• MSXII Washington.zip
    58.9 KB · Views: 211
Wow... start looks GREAT :D

I will definitely play this, especially since I left the Washington Noble game unfinished. (it was too long ago for people to still care about that one when I started playing it)

Errmmmm 6 flood plains, pigs, stone and marble? Is this meant to be a challenge or play for fun? Creative just adds to the salt. Oh and the extra production from a plains hill.

Way too over powered start.

Gee... thanks... you both play on Emperor or something like that. This is for us, normal people, who try to become emperor geeks. :p It's not supposed to be too hard. :)

Errmmmm 6 flood plains, pigs, stone and marble? Is this meant to be a challenge or play for fun? Creative just adds to the salt. Oh and the extra production from a plains hill.

Way too over powered start.

Needed to make up for the first game I posted.:lol:

Gee... thanks... you both play on Emperor or something like that. This is for us, normal people, who try to become emperor geeks. :p It's not supposed to be too hard. :)

Actually Kossin's @ immortal/deity and like me will generally play these for fun/possibly challenge if we set the difficulty up.

And while Gumbolt is also well above monarch, he appears confused as to Washington's traits :lol:. Washington is CHA/EXP.

You can't always judge a game by its start though.

Anyway I'd just like to point out that this is the 12 MS PRIME game, the original monarch student series was way, way past 12. When meatbuster took over he didn't want to step on toes or some strange such and started prime instead of continuing the original monarch student, making this somewhat confusing.

At any rate, even though kossin's grading it with "too easy", I'll play it on immortal like usual :p.

I have a question, because I've noticed that I won't have AH fast enough and the best that tech can offer, early on, is the ability to build farms for 4 food, near the river.

Is this one of those situations where warrior first might be better? Or are the farmed floodplains good enough for starters to promote the worker first order?

Worker first will win. The only reason you'll get a worker before AH is EXP. And not much before. Building a warrior first means hooking up that pig later, it's hard to imagine coming out ahead that way.

Actually Kossin's @ immortal/deity and like me will generally play these for fun/possibly challenge if we set the difficulty up.

And while Gumbolt is also well above monarch, he appears confused as to Washington's traits :lol:. Washington is CHA/EXP.

Anyway I'd just like to point out that this is the 12 MS PRIME game, the original monarch student series was way, way past 12. When meatbuster took over he didn't want to step on toes or some strange such and started prime instead of continuing the original monarch student, making this somewhat confusing.

At any rate, even though kossin's grading it with "too easy", I'll play it on immortal like usual :p.

I know Kossin is a immortal/deity player. Just trying to get him to play the game.

As for the MSXII I know AiShizuka started the Monarch student games first and they went up to 23 I think. I just continued the numbers from meatbusters bullpen. Maybe in the title I should put Monarch Student Prime.

Here is the links to both monarch student bullpens.

Thanks AiShizuka for hosting the old Monarch Student series, of which this was the index/bullpen: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=317468

Here is the current Bullpen thread. I'll use Meatbuster's for the first and if more games follow i'll start new bullpen. http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=333702

Yeh the start does look easy but as said already you should never judge a game by the start except maybe if you get 3 grassland gems with loads of food to :D. You can have starts that looks really good and think that It will be an easy win only to find Shaka next to you with no metal or horse close. Suddenly not to easy anymore or playing with a good start and everything going great only to meet the new continent and see a super AI way ahead of you.

Obviously it can be opposite as well with a bad/mediocre start but surrounded by nice teachers that you can trade teaches with and later kill of easy.

Long story short there is so much that can make a game hard/easy than the starting capitals position even if it is obviously a big factor.

I added the word Prime into the thread title. TMIT pointed it out and I don't want people to get confused from AiShizuka oringinal Monarch Student thread which went up to 23.

I posted the links to both bullpens in an earlier post.

Looks like a good start to see if I can win my first Monarch game. I've made it up to winning most Prince games easily, but have always failed on my Monarch attempts.

I'll see how this goes tonight after work.

Lazy days. I played from the immortal save but selected emperor. The Ai seem pretty quick on techs so I assume they had all the immortal techs?

messed up on that front.

Spoiler :

Anyway despite error on settings on my part.

Grew Washington to size 6 teching AH then beelining pottery and alphabet. i used about 4-5 warrior fog busters which did the job. Eventually replaced with archers.

I traded a few techs when i reached alphabet. Capital built a further settler worker settler. Meanwhile mansa and hetty had a war with GK. Hetty lost a city or two. GK is a bit backwards now but powerful. Jud spread to my lands and i adopted.

I teched towards Aesh and lit. Traded for hbr and mediation among other techs here. Then traded for currency once i had COl.

Meanwhile built Library, temple, great lib, academy and NE in Washington. I do need 3-4 workers asap.

Once i bulbed philosphy i grabbed music too and got a free artist. Next step is calender build MM and start golden age.

Overall I think if I had played immortal properly this would have been quite an easy game. Unless I have missed a huge GK stack somewhere.

On a humour point of view. my iron resouce got a +1 food event and now a +2 commerce event. Its now 3f4h3c. Wow!

Attachments

• MSXII Washington BC-0170.CivBeyondSwordSave
    157.6 KB · Views: 86

I was reading through so quick I could of sworn I saw the word creative. :lol:

Alright giving this one a go. Last one wasn't so great for me.

To 1 AD

Spoiler :

Settings: Monarch/Marathon
I'm a solid prince player but I haven't won a non cultural-victory monarch game in like over a year lawl.

Took a lot of notes this time around.

4000 BC: Settle in place, researching AH first. Worker first. Will build a farm on flood plain while waiting for AH, then pasture on the pig.

3895 BC: Warrior pops sailing. Yay.

3820 BC: Warrior pops Mysticism. Double yay.

3730 BC: Warrior eaten by a bear nooooo :(

3535 BC: Oh fun, Genghis finds me. He's NE somewhere. Can't see much of map due to warrior dying.

3460 BC: AH finishes, researching mining.

3205 BC: Kinda bored worker atm. Farming flood plains to keep him busy.

3145 BC: Mining finishes. Decide to go for masonry over BW here, not sure if it's the right call.

2995 BC: Well, I very luckily made the right call (at least this game) as a warrior pops BW lol. Not really any near enough copper for my second city though. Third for sure, but I'm not a fan of founding second city far.

2800 BC: Masonry done, will found my second city near the horse, not really any nearby copper so I'll go wheel for chariots to fend off barbs. Course I could just go for TGW to solve that problem, but I start going for Stonehenge instead.

2710 BC: New York founded. In retrospect, I may have been better off founding it 1W as I could have worked the horse much faster and I'd gain 2 more grassland/river tiles but at the time I thought I'd want the extra hills (I'd lose 1 plains/hill + 1 grassy hill).

2360 BC: Stonehenge complete in Washington. This start is so much better than XI, hehe.

2320 BC: Wheel done, Going IW next. Building TGW in Washington. Can finish it pretty fast with minimal chopping too.

2160 BC: Great Wall done, yay. Maybe I'll get a barb event and have them go beat up on Genghis! (who I haven't really properly found yet due to warrior dying early and Washington making mostly wonders) Meanwhile, I still haven't found another civ... or rather I should say another civ hasn't found me since I haven't really been looking. I'm positive I'm not alone with him though based on Genghis's espionage point spread.

1950 BC: Boston founded. Plains/cow + Plains/Copper with food to support early on will be nice I think. Probably will look to workshop it later and use as military production center.

1930 BC: Finally meet another civ, Mansa, who actually is closer to me than Genghis I think, yay.

1870 BC: And another... Hatty is on the continent as well. With any luck, Hatty/Mansa can share techs with me and keep Genghis at bay a bit. Also, found Iron in Washington's cross which is REAL GOOD!

1520 BC: Great Prophet born and settles in Washington. I probably make a poor decision of hoping I can get a GS from washington with the diluted gene pool rather than trying to get it elsewhere. However I'd have to farm some GLs in New York to get it, and likely not work my high production tiles in Boston to support scientists, so I choose to take my chances with Washington.

1510 BC: Philly founded. Not sure this was the right move, probably should have expanded north first, but I really wanted to hook up some silver as I have no religion yet. Hatty founded Judaism and spread to Mansa but currently I do not have it.

1440 BC: Raze some beat ass barb city north of Washington. Will resettle in a slightly different spot soon.

1400 BC: Judaism reaches New York and we're now all Jewish on our continent. Silver + Char + Stonehenge is making the happiness situation pretty solid, much better than last round!

1320 BC: Atlanta founded near razed barb city. I rarely settle on resources (at least when they're revealed) but I thought I'd try it here. The rice wouldn't have been irrigated for a while and would require a reasonable irrigation project. Of course, as it is, it's a pretty weak city until at least monarchy.

1140 BC: Got Alphabet, first on continent I think. I usually play with no tech brokering so I'm honestly pretty bad at remembering to trade techs and researching techs that no one else has, but I'll work on it. Pick up some older techs from Mansa and Hatty... (hunting, poly? I forget)

1010 BC: Chitown founded. I may have gotten lucky to get the gems here, surprised it wasn't taken yet. This probably should have been my 5th city, or even 4th, I could have waited on Philly. TBH I forgot that monuments gave +1 happiness for char leaders so I probably over-valued the silver. Also, the barb city you can see in the SS will hopefully be razed and resettled 1 SW. Though if I see someone about to take it, I'll end up taking it myself.

810 BC: Mansa + Hatty are at war with Genghis. I agree to cancel deals with Genghis but I don't declare. Obviously I'm happy to keep MM + Hatty happy and willing to tech trade me and hopefully help keep Genghis and his massive stack away from me. (uh that sounds kinda bad. lawl)

800 BC: Seattle founded near that barb city as planned. Reasonable production potential with bananas feeding the shield producers I think.

640 BC: Chopped the crap out of Temple of Artemis in Washington so now my gene pool can be even more dilute! (I got a great spy some time earlier. I definitely dropped the ball on getting a GS) Meanwhile, Hatty takes a city from Genghis then peaces. Mansa still going at it. Genghis had 8 cities (now 7) though, so he's still very much a threat. His power rating is way higher than everyone elses on the continent.

440 BC: I grab TGL in Boston. Not exactly sure why I built it as I only have two coastal cities atm, though I'm planning to found one more once my economy settles a bit (only recently got CoL + Currency).

20 BC: Parthenon built in Washington. Yeah, I'm never gonna get a GS here.

1 AD: Well this is what the map looks like for me right now. Empire economy has settled a bit with courthouses built/whipped/chopped and a few markets placed as needed.

Tentative plan is to found at least 2 more cities, one by the iron/fish East of New York, and one more somewhere between Philly and Boston, though despite staring at it for like 5 minutes I still can't decide where it's going. There's Fish, Wheat, and Iron there, though the iron is on tundra. I can place it to get all three but there will be a ton of tundra in the cross and only 2 GL/river tiles. I could put those statue things to make the water tiles reasonable I suppose. The other options are to give up the fish but keep the iron/wheat and get 4 GL/river tiles, but that leaves 6 workable tiles (i.e. not tundra) and its not coastal. Settling kinda north I could get Iron + 6 GL/rivers, 2 GL/hills and some other tiles but no food so I'd have to farm stuff.

Curious to hear where you'd guys settle here. Keep in mind I do have TGL and Moai Statues are still available.

As for later game plans, I'm not the tech leader but I'm reasonable and neither MM nor Hatty particularly worry me. At some point I'll look to take a few cities from Genghis with their help, but ultimately I really want MM's capital for the Jewish shrine, and maybe the Confucian shrine also. Course, god only knows whats going on in the other continent, though the updates say MM + Hatty are tech leaders with me somewhere around 3rd/4th.

I'm thinking I'll try pushing a little on Genghis around gunpowder, or possibly rifles, Then a brief rebuild period and hopefully getting MM's capital. Of course, I'll probably just do something dumb and throw the game away in the mid-game like I usually do :)

Top Bottom