Monarch Student^ XV Suleiman

What's the difference between the three scenario files? Just some starting differences, like AI techs and units? I want to play Emperor, so I should choose Monarch or Immortal then change the difficulty to Emperor right?

What's the difference between the three scenario files? Just some starting differences, like AI techs and units? I want to play Emperor, so I should choose Monarch or Immortal then change the difficulty to Emperor right?

Use the monarch save and emperor difficulty. The beginunits vary, but the 3 scenarios have different added techs for the AI. Noble has none, monarch has archery, immortal has archery,hunting, and agriculture.

I'm playing this, and have gotten 22 cities, all without going to war. It's taking me forever to catch up in research, though; I could win if there were no Time and Space victories, but otherwise I think I might be screwed. I'm in 1900 right now; the AI has reached Physics while I'm at Assembly Line.

In hindsight, I should have probably built Wealth in all my cities until I at least got Printing Press and Democracy; if I had done that, this would have been an easier game.

I'm playing this, and have gotten 22 cities, all without going to war. It's taking me forever to catch up in research, though; I could win if there were no Time and Space victories, but otherwise I think I might be screwed. I'm in 1900 right now; the AI has reached Physics while I'm at Assembly Line.

In hindsight, I should have probably built Wealth in all my cities until I at least got Printing Press and Democracy; if I had done that, this would have been an easier game.

Get a :)/health cap boost and grow your cities. I settled 17 on immortal on this map and I still won liberalism!

Monarch-normal 1952 domination victory

Spoiler :

I could have gone space but i preferred war, so i attacked Elizabeth, Pacal, Shaka, Isabella and Charlemagne (in that order, not all at once).
I really wanted to try out nukes this time.

I took all of Elizabeths cities on the continent and left her with some crappy island cities. I got the eiffeltower and the kremlin from her.

At some point Pacal wants this deal but i refuse.

Next is Pacal

Shaka

Isabella

and finally Charlemagne

Score etc.

Learned that nukes are very powerfull when attacking overseas. Had some trouble loading nukes on my transports because i tried to move them on it like i do with normal units, till i found out you have to use the load command in the city itself.

In the end Gandhi was -62 with me for nuking his friends :D , never had someone that angry with me.

It was a fun map with a nice start, looking forward to the next one. :)

EMPEROR/NORMAL

4000 bc -> 1200 ad

I'd need advices about the way to continue the game, thank you :)

Spoiler :

When met Ghandi, I've had the chance to steal a worker, so I've done it and pillaged a bit his land to weaken him, then declared peace.

So I'll expand peacefully, even if I was not so able to deal between expansion and economic growth (I'm not in confidence at emperor yet) despite the tons of gold avalaible :blush:

At 1200 AD I was able to settle only 10 cities. I've the room to place at least other 3 decent cities, but Ghandi has already pinched one good spot and could do it again.

At least I have won liberalism race and picked up nationalism, so I'm building Taj Mahal and waiting for my first GA(s) (chaining thanks to philosophic trait and then using GP).

Elizabeth seems weak but doesn't seem to have good land.
Ghandi seems to have good land, buddists' holy city, etc., but he's quite powerful right now.

I've just finished GUNPOWDER at the moment, and I've a GS which could lightbulb Printing Press (but I've to got Machinery first) or to use to chain 3 GA with TM.

So I think I have 3 options:

1) build an UU's army quickly during GA(s) (I've some CR swords upgradeable too) and invade England
2) fill ASAP the land avalaible (I think I can got 13-14 cities), beelining Optics, meet other civs and then try the space victory
3) beelining rifling and attack Ghandi

Some ideas? Thanks

Attachments

• MSXV Sueliman [CBPE] AD-1200.CivBeyondSwordSave
    247.1 KB · Views: 53
Get a :)/health cap boost and grow your cities. I settled 17 on immortal on this map and I still won liberalism!

I never had a problem with :) or :health:. I'll try another run through the map to see if I can do better this time around; I usually play Civ. on autopilot as I usually play the same map and game types over and over again, so this was a bit different and I was out of my comfort zone. But I know I can adapt well if I actually pay attention.

Okay, so I beat the game on my second try (I didn't even bother completing the first attempt). I've always been a Kremlin rushbuyer to buy nukes, so that didn't change much. However, I had made a few changes that I think made the difference, most of them to do with the early years. I had better city placements, and I didn't expand as quickly as I did the first time around.

@ CPBE

Spoiler :

You could do all of those at the same time. I would advise filling out your land FIRST, then deciding if you want to attack Gandhi or develop it more and tech away. With that amount of land, SP is a popular option, and spamming workshops and watermills could easily power you through your continent. After that, the game is basically won. It's just a matter of developing your land and going Infantry and Artillery for a domination-type Victory, or just teching out with massive tech power to space.

Game lost :blush:

Spoiler :

I've continued expanding while I was preparing UU's war after Elizabeth.
I've conquered 3 of her cities but Redcoats appeared (she was ahead in tech, I had no rifling yet).
So I was forced to made peace without taking London, capitulation or gaining some techs. The war was a failure and compromised the game.
The cities obtained were choked by opposite culture, I gifted one unuseble to Ghandi which went in WHEIOHRN and was stronger than me.
Ghandi went for Culture and choked, thanks to that, my strong border cities that revolted to him.
In the end I've tried to Nuke him but it was too late... he won by culture

Anyway, I've won my first games on Emperor but I'm not confident on this level yet.
I'll play Saladin's game on Monarch 'cause I want to understand if recently I've anyway improved or if I was only luck! :)

To BigTime
I see you've built the GL in your capital. Wasn't better build it in the city next to marble, for the bonus (50% cheapper) and make that city your SSC.
thanks.

To BigTime
I see you've built the GL in your capital. Wasn't better build it in the city next to marble, for the bonus (50% cheapper) and make that city your SSC.
thanks.

All of your cities get the Marble bonus if connected to each other through a trade network.

Played this a while ago but I never got around to posting.

Immortal, Normal, No Events.

Spoiler :
My strategy in this game was founded on something of a misconception. I scouted around and found vast expanses of land with no chokepoints to block off the AI, which caused me to panic a little bit. Inexperienced at Immortal, I reasoned that there was no way I could possibly try to compete with the AI in a straight land grab since even if I managed to keep in number of cities, there was no way I could keep up economically in the face of vast Immortal level AI maintenance reductions.

Turns out I was wrong about this, as I realised when I saw TMIT's playthrough...

Tech path was AH, Mining, BW and, since I found no horses or copper and have learned to fear AI barbs, on to IW. This gave me Iron in the BFC at 2200BC. So my strategy was to let Gandhi settle lots of cities for me and spread a religion, and then tech up to catapults and take it all by force.

Built three cities then started training units.

Got my catapults and DoWed.

The going was pretty easy as, like I expected, Gandhi was building more settlers, workers and missionaries than units.

This continues for a few bloody centuries until I've taken a decent-sized empire's worth of stuff, including nice things like the Great Lighthouse and a holy city.

By this stage I really need to get some techs, so we grant Gandhi peace on demanding terms.

I knew that this would mean Ghandi's immediate vassalisation to Liz, but that was something I would just have to put up with.

At this point I was reasonably satisfied insofar as my plan had come to fruition, I had crippled one AI and acquired a decent empire, but I knew I still faced an uphill struggle to catch the rexxing, Financial Lizzie.

As it turned out, I began to fall further and further behind in the following centuries.

Meeting the other civs alleviated my problems somewhat as I could whore out what few unique, tradeable techs I could get to try to gradually catch up somewhat. But every time I seemed to get semi-respectable the AI would suddenly jump ahead on me again.

By this stage I was running a very stripped down military as I could not afford to do anything other than try to improve my teching. Shaka had been harassing me for centuries. I ignored him at first as he has no astronomy (although he did make it abundantly clear that he intended to destroy me :lol:), and later when he demanded my hard-earned tradebait tech, Steam Power, I of course had to say no as it was my only lifeline at the time. A few turns later he DoWed and appeared with a puny invasion fleet.

I chuckled at this, but my chuckle soon turned into a death rattle...

Oh crap...is that what I think it is?

And at this point I resign with Istanbul as good as gone. All I have militarily is about half a dozen Janissaries and two or three grenadiers scattered around the empire. Hats off to Shaka for kicking my ass in this one! :D

This is my first time trying one of these (I've been lurking for a loooong time) and also my first win ever on Monarch.

I didn't take a lot of screenshots but my game followed most everybody else's. I led off with some quick REX and built up an army, took about half of Ghandi before he capitulated to Elizabeth and I didn't want war with both of them. Elizabeth started teching ahead of me and I was worried about my infrastructure so I did a quick build up. It got to the point where I had just grabbed steel and I noticed Elizabeth wasn't going down a path for redcoats, so I figured before she got them I better take her out. Built up a cannon heavy force and slammed through ghandi and into Elizabeth, about 50% of the way through the war (she had the whole eastern half of the continent) she got red coats, but it was too late, I already had too much production and just cannoned her to death. When she just had some island places left and I had secured the whole continent I let her capitulate.

Here is where the game got kind of interesting, we were closing in on 1900 and I had a huge army but nobody nearby to attack. I figured it was time to take down the other continent but I actually hadn't even met them yet. I teched to astronomy and quickly to combustion and built a ton of transports and destroyers while sending caravels ahead to scout. I met everybody on their continent was basically split carthage/zulu vs pacal/isabella. I decided to side with izzy and went to work on a tank and marine war into the southern and middle portion of the continent. It took awhile, but I was basically using modern armor on infantry by the end of it. The thing that took so long was getting border pops on my conquered cities. At some point I probably should of sat back and defended instead of spending so much time on war.

7 hour game later, my first win on Monarch. Next time I'll take screenshots I suppose.

Top Bottom