Most Fought-Over Place in History?

Egyptian takeover, Persian Captures, Alexander Invades, Roman and Byzantium Rule, Arab conquest, Nine Crusades, Saladin's recapture, Mongol Attacks, Ottoman Assault. British Advance, 1948 Arab-Israeli War, 6 day war, Israeli-Palestinian conflict, Two invasions of Lebanon and much more

Yep the Holy Land is full of blood

Israel Mesopotamia and Belgium are high on my list.

Here's a nice question. Which sea area do you think has been fought over the most?

Presumable the Bosphorus and Dardenelles. There have been four battles at Lepanto/Naupactus, which lies at the mouth of the Gulf of Corinth. The first was in 423 BC and is called the Battle of Naupactus, part of the Pelopennesian War. The second and Third were in 1499 and 1500 and won by the Ottomans over the Venetians. The fourth battle is THE Battle of Lepanto.

Actium was fought at the next bay up, about 50 miles away.

The thing about Mesopotamia though is that there were stretches of hundreds of years where it was just kicked back and forth between two empires like a soccer ball.

Seleucids/Parthians, Rome/Parthians, Byzantium/Sassanids, Sassanids/Arabs, Mongols/Arabs, Ottomans/Safavids, etc.

It saw a lot of obscure campaigns and nameless wars.

And, of course, there was a long stretch of thousands of years where people in Mesopotamia were fighting each other, and people everywhere else weren't yet organized enough to fight proper wars.

Actually, I don't think that Palestine has seen significantly more warfare than a lot of other places, it is just that what it does see tends to be better documented.
I would agree. There was essentially an unbroken time from the ninth Crusade 1272, to the British advance during WWI 1918, where the was no fighting in the Holy Land. Even longer if you discount the advance during WWI because there was no effective resistance. Still thats, 646 straight years with no fighting at all. Not many places can say that.

I was just thinking that there have been almost unbroken rebellions in Ireland apart from after the famine. It's been going on for the last 800 years. Before that the vikings were killing the celts and before that the celts were killing the gaels and before that the gaels were killing the stone-age settlers. And when the invaders weren't killing the old people, the people were killing each other. Our monks even started killing the invaders.

I was just thinking that there have been almost unbroken rebellions in Ireland apart from after the famine. It's been going on for the last 800 years. Before that the vikings were killing the celts and before that the celts were killing the gaels and before that the gaels were killing the stone-age settlers. And when the invaders weren't killing the old people, the people were killing each other. Our monks even started killing the invaders.

Im never going to Ireland.....

Well, most of Europe would score pretty high in "places fought over a lot". :)

My opinion still hasn't changed though: Jerusalem (and the whole Holy Lands), and in second probably Istanbul (Constantinopole, Byzantium).

Iran is another option, but lower than those two IMHO.

And, of course, there was a long stretch of thousands of years where people in Mesopotamia were fighting each other, and people everywhere else weren't yet organized enough to fight proper wars.

The thing about Mesopotamia though is that there were stretches of hundreds of years where it was just kicked back and forth between two empires like a soccer ball.

Seleucids/Parthians, Rome/Parthians, Byzantium/Sassanids, Sassanids/Arabs, Mongols/Arabs, Ottomans/Safavids, etc.

It saw a lot of obscure campaigns and nameless wars.
Precisely why I think Mesopotamia has been more violent.

Well for the most faught over place in the world during the 17th-20th centuries has to be Poland.

Following the alliance between Austria-Prussia-Russia Poland was split apart by the 3. And then there was a major resistance almost every decade. so i'm quite proud of my ancestors. then there was the fighting in WW1 and 2.

But i'm not sure if it counts. It wasn't really fought over 2 different states. it was usually 1 state takes poland, and then huge resistance followed.

Well for the most faught over place in the world during the 17th-20th centuries has to be Poland.

Following the alliance between Austria-Prussia-Russia Poland was split apart by the 3. And then there was a major resistance almost every decade. so i'm quite proud of my ancestors. then there was the fighting in WW1 and 2.

But i'm not sure if it counts. It wasn't really fought over 2 different states. it was usually 1 state takes poland, and then huge resistance followed.

More than Belgium or Alsace-Lorraine?

ok forgot about Belgium...

But still. I don't know if Poland counts as i said, it wasn't fought over by different people, just the Germans and Russians. (The germans to the north, South and west. :D ) (austria, Prussia, Germany.)

I could say that my area was fought over by Austrians, Hungarians, Russians and Ottomans, in exactly those centuries you were talking about. So what? I don't think that's what makes an area "fought over", but a long history of many, many different people battling and shifting authority over the place, during thousands of years.

Except that didn't happen to poland. :D

It got split by an alliance of strong states cause the resistance would be to hard for 1 state to do so, then ounce that happened, Poles were giving loads of resistance.

^of course that's my extremely Nationalistic view. so this post is worth the :joke: smiley.

The Middle East in general is at the top, but Israel is the most heavily engulfed in war. In Europe, I think the most warfare is in Belgium, or the Low Countries in general. In America, Central-South America. In Asia, India, in Australia, Australia, and in Africa, north Africa. On the other extreme, the least conflicts have been fought in Antarctica. :p

So when the world is engulfed in war, Antarctica will be the safest place, for no former conflicts, except if global warming melts Antarctica, but by that time, you will not care because you're either dead, drowning, or on another planet. :p

fighting over the area of Megiddo and its like, I do not understand. What are the fruits of victory?

Lazy workers
Insubordinate workers
Non-innovative region
Poor soil
No naturally defensible border
rough climate

and so on.

I think conquering this place must have been more a burden than blessing.

Often it's not the place itself but its location. Somewhere like Megiddo - and there are many other places like it in that part of the world, such as Armenia, or Nisibis, or Israel - was valuable because it represented a potential buffer against an enemy. For example, the reason the Holy Land was important to the Roman empire was that it was a buffer against Persia, and so the Romans were prepared to keep it, protect it, and if necessary fight for it, simply because of that, even though the place itself didn't provide very much and was a lot of trouble (it is possible, though not certain, that the empire effectively lost money on the Holy Land overall, contrary to the traditional picture of ruthless tax collectors bleeding it dry). Similarly, Armenia had the bad fortune to be stuck in between Rome and Persia, which meant it spent much of antiquity hosting various battles and wars between the two.

I think northern England must be fairly high on the list, given that it was the scene of battles between Romans and Picts, Saxons and Picts, Vikings and Saxons, Lancastrians and Yorkshiremen, Parliamentarians and Royalists, etc etc... In fact you could probably say something similar for southern England too.

Top Bottom