1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

MSMD: How to Create a Mod (video demo)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modding Tutorials & Reference' started by Kael, Feb 7, 2008.

1. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Super Moderator Supporter

If windows doesn't let you create it manually, that means you don't have the rights to do so -> you need administrator rights, or you have to run the game with administrator rights.

And welcome to CFC :).

2. DarkDragon164

DarkDragon164 Chieftain

Okay, I got the file made and in the folder. Now what should be in the file by default?

3. The_J

So you created the file by hand?
    mmh, just copy the content of the next war .ini file, that should be sufficient.

4. Sir Penguinboy

Sir Penguinboy Chieftain

hi!!! I'm new, and was wondering if you could help me. i tried looking at the videos but windows says it cant connect each time, its not the firewall or my connection, and i have adobe flash so i dont know what it is. can u help?

5. The_J

:hmm: i can open the video.
    :hmm:...wait...the video is on civfanatics.net (technically another server), which is currently having some stability problems. You might try again later/now/elsewhen, then it will probably work.

6. Sir Penguinboy

Sir Penguinboy Chieftain

Oh okay, thanks, its working now. :)

7. luckylavs

luckylavs Chieftain

This was a brilliant tutorial. It was a lot easier to see it on the screen than to try to piece it together by reading what different people have posted. I don't think I could have finished my own mod without this tutorial, so thanks again!!

8. RavenMays

RavenMays Chieftain

Hay i was wondering if there was more then just that way of doing it, because I've been doing exactly what you said to do in the introduction and the computer keeps saying that that you know the name thing we write in the target box is not valid and to make sure the path and file name was correct. So yeah.

9. The_J

Welcome to the forums :).

Could you please make a screenshot of the folder in which you put your mod? I think that would be helpful.

10. Goldflash

Goldflash Grumpy Old Man

Okay, I'm being silly here. I'm trying to make a shortcut like it says in the first video. I've followed Kael's smooth, smarmy instructions on making the shortcut to the letter, but when I activate it I get a message saying "Invalid Mod Directory." What is odd, however, is that I can still load the mod in through the game and it works fine. I can't for the life of me figure out what I did wrong.

11. The_J

Easiest advice: Skip that part.
    You do not really need a shortcut.

12. Goldflash

Goldflash Grumpy Old Man

But.. but... it's not working and I want to know why.

13. The_J

Just checking the error message...it seems you have a space too much there at the end.

If you can't get it to work, you might want to try one of the several available mod choosers in the utilities section to directly start your mod without having to start normal Bts.

14. Goldflash

Goldflash Grumpy Old Man

I know it displays a space, but it isn't there in for real.

15. diademic

diademic Chieftain

what program did you use to make your button? is it something that can be downloaded?

and assuming I can't make a button, will the mod still function without a picture?

16. The_J

The mod will run without any problems if you don't have an image for the button, that's not a problem at all :).

17. diademic

diademic Chieftain

Thanx!

18. DanoWisdom

DanoWisdom Chieftain

I get this same MOD error and I noticed that this was attempted on a Steam-downloaded version of the game. Mine is also from Steam...is this a problem only with Steam versions and how do we compensate for it?

19. Asaf

Asaf Sleep Deprived

I might be mistaken but in the screen shot it looks like there's an extra space after the 'CiviliNations'.

20. DanoWisdom

DanoWisdom Chieftain

Could be! I just thought it an odd coincidence that I got this error just like another Steam user and I'm pretty sure that when I created my shortcut, I had the same problem but I pretty certain that I didn't add or omit any characters or spaces.

:confused: Not sure what to do about it...oh well. Plenty to play on Civ4 without my modding project if I can't get it to work!