MSMD: How to Create a Mod (video demo)

Kael,

By the way, I hope that one of the next videos you do concerns making DDS files. It seems so simple, and yet I spent the last hour or so playing around with Photoshop, and I can't seem to get any of my custom-made flags to show up. I searched around the forum, but couldn't really find any threads that explained these basics (they all sort of assumed that the reader already knew the basics, like that old Monty Python skit How to play the flute. "Well, you blow here, and move your fingers up and down there."

With DXTBmp you can :
- import an alpha channel from a bitmap
- convert a TGA file into a DDS

and you can convert to TGA from almost any other extension with irfanview

hey kael, at the top of some of the xml files it has a comment saying that they used the "xmlspy" program ... i went to the website - also in the comment - and it works really great, i just got the 30 day trial though, and to jkp1187, all you do is the same thing as the other stuff - make the same folders and files and then edit them in your mod folder
ps could you make one showing how to make a map, also how to make a 3d pic but i'm guessing that's complicated

Hey Kael, love the videos, keep up the good work! Now peeps like me can get started on modding

However, when I try it, I load the game up and nothings changed. I managed to get to part 3 of adding a leader, you go load up the game....and there's Colbert...meanwhile My guy hasn't decided to show up....

I followed your instructions very carfuly, but here are the key differences
1) My copy of Beyond the Sword was purchased on Steam, and while this did mean the shortcut doesn't work, after I properly load the mod, my leader guy isn't there
2) I used GIMP instead of Photoshop for my .dds files
3) Instead of using Washington for my script copies, I used Julius Caesar (suited my charictar better)

So thanks for Reading this long post, and thank you for all the work you have put into this so far, thanking you is the least I can do ;)

*update*

Sorted! I just started from scratch (this time more carefully...) and things now work great!

I use Microsoft Media Encoder, it is free (if you have windows) and it has worked for me.

:salute: I finally got it to work and I think they make it look a whole lot easier than I thought it would be.:)
:mad: One problem once I get down to where the xml files should be they aren't there? Any ideas?:confused:

Something is wrong... When the voice is in the Mods folder the video still is in the Civilization IV folder?

Gurra09

what do i do if I'm running off vista? every time i try to do what you say i get a box saying:"the name 'C:\Users\Gir\Desktop\Civ4BeyondSword.exe"mod=\neonation' specified in the target box is not valid. make sure the path and file name are correct." i have no idea whats wrong.

i corrected the slash problem, but it still give me the problem above, and again I'm running off vista.

I tried it (and have vista) and it works fine for me. It's probly something silly and small. Looking at what you've put in the post i think there's meant to be a space after .exe, and you've only got quotation marks at the start of mod=\neo nation.

Blackbaron: that's an odd path for your shortcut....do you actually have Beyond the Sword installed on your desktop???? I think it would be something more like: ProgramFiles\FiraxisGames\Civilization4\BeyondtheSword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe.....

Im trying to make my flag button & FlagDECAl, but I can't seem to find the Alpha Chennel in my photoshop program. How do u combine u graphic with ur TeamDECAL, like the one u did in the video where the graphic showed in the Alpha Channel?

can you please tell me how can i watch this videos without computer blocking? A conversion into avi and putting it on google videos would be great. tnx

Wow. This is really a great resource. I hope you keep more segments coming. I must agree, however, that it would be nice if the video was changed to a less memory intensive format. Previous posts have already put forth some feasible ideas.

Keep up the good work, and thanks.

Top Bottom