1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

MTCSG-01: Immac's Muti-Threaded Concurrent Succession Game -01

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by Immaculate, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Immaculate

Immaculate unerring

No, write a nice detailed report if you want to. I for one, will enjoy reading it. I normally write quite a bit and I enjoy the writing. If you enjoy doing it, go for it, if not, don't force yourself too much. I guess i probably could have written more. I don't know about the random seed thing. I play mostly with the defaults. I hope you got better hut results then a couple maps, some gold and hunting. Yeah, i guess its luck at this stage, but later, as the games start to diverge, the games will mostly be different because different strategies were employed (hopefully anyway).

I don't think we should try to define one game as better. Just this: when its your turn to choose which game you want to play, maybe explain why you wanted to play that one (for example, maybe someone really likes the way mutineer set us up for the whip with bronze working and agriculture or someone else likes that we are on our way to alphabet early on with a scouts and lots of contacts or something) in terms of their goals, style, etc and how it fits with your ideas.

I don't think we need to say why we didn't choose a particular game too much- thats sort of negative. Better games? Shouldn't be any better games, just different games and some that you like more then the others.

The whole point to this format is that we don't need to debate on everyone's behalf; we can just play the game that appeals to us personally.

2. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

I agree Immaculate, there shouldn't be a 'group' discussion over what games are 'better' but simply each member of the other team explains why they chose a particular save to play. Those reasons don't necessarily have to do with which save is 'best'.

Oh, and at this stage I'm picking your save.

3. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

I reckon that choosing a game will come down to how its fits with personal playing style,its not a matter of 'better' or 'worse', more a matter of 'that's the type of game I play'.
    Having said that I would actually like to have some feedback, positive and negative, because I know I have a lot to learn; some learning comes from looking at other people's games, just as much comes from other people looking at my game.

4. LlamaCat

LlamaCat Emperor

Ok thanks for the response. I agree I don't think we should "debate" per se, but my point was just how the discussion goes. I think I get it now. I too would love to have others criticize my saves so I can learn, but that may be detracting too much from the storyline here. We should focus on picking a save and reporting on our moves while explaining why we picked that person's game. Since this is the first round all we are doing is reporting I guess.

5. remconius

remconius Deity

Got it!

Civ problems solved, can play tomorrow...

6. Mutineer

Mutineer Deity

I did not look in spoiler, but amount of years per turn chance with time.
    50 turns would be 2000 BC I believe, easy to check by going to F8 screen and look how many turns left.

4000 BC = 460 turn left if I am not mistaken.
    What I try to say is that you have a bit more turns to play I think.

7. Ozbenno

Well, Immaculate either plays to 2000BC (if that's 50 turns) or everyone else plays to 2500BC.

8. Ozbenno

9. Mutineer

Mutineer Deity

Well, seens I allready played to 2000 it could be probably a good idea for Immaculate to have alittle bit more fun! :)

10. frankcor

frankcor Emperor

Round 1
    50 turns: ending year, 2040 BC

Spoiler Report :
    Turn 1 (4000 BC) I founded Madrid in place. With 2 food resources and a Calendar happiness resource, it looked good enough for me even though I'm not real happy about there being only one hill in the fat-cross. As it turned out, Madrid had 3 spices -- this someday be a good commerce city but without much production, I predict a lot of whipping going on.

Turn 2 (3960 BC) I sent our scout along the coast to the northeast.
    Research begun: Mining

. . .

Turn 5 (3840 BC)
    Tribal village results: 43 gold Where the hut was looked like a pretty good spot for a future city -- it could be a good choice for Heroic Epic: lots of production tiles and plenty of food to work all of them eventually.

Madrid's borders expand

. . .

Turn 8 (3720 BC)
    Tech learned: Mining
    Madrid grows: 2

Turn 9 (3680 BC)
    Research begun: Bronze Working

Turn 10 (3640 BC)
    Madrid begins: Worker I swapped out the Work Boat for a Worker, due one turn before Bronze Working is finished.

. . .

Turn 14 (3480 BC)
    Contact made: Mongolian Empire Our warrior (Bob) discovered the borders of a neighbor:

Turn 15 (3440 BC)
    Bob spotted a hut about 6 turns ago at the end of a skinny peninsula. He finally gets to it.
    Tribal village results: 41 gold

. . .

Turn 20 (3240 BC)

IBT:
    Buddhism founded in a distant land

Turn 21 (3200 BC)

. . .

Turn 19 (3280 BC) Hmmm, an interesting delemna presented itself in the form of a Bear:

Does Bob run away? Or stand and fight, hoping the jungle and crossing river bonuses can help Bob survive?

Bob fortified and gutted it out:

The fight did not go well. First the Bear ripped Bob's leg off as shown above. Then he severed his other leg. After that, things got worse. Bob died. This is probably a good enough reason for nobody to pick up my save. I wouldn't. Oh well, I decided to finish the Worker in Madrid and then train Bob's replacement.

Turn 20 (3240 BC)
    Tech learned: Bronze Working

Turn 23 (3120 BC)
    Research begun: Sailing There was no copper anywhere in sight, but there was still some hidden territory on our island.

I revolted -- love that Spiritual leader trait!

. . .

Turn 25 (3040 BC)
    Madrid finishes: Warrior

Turn 26 (3000 BC) I chopped the Warrior, the overflow hammers knock 5 turns off the Work Boat.

Turn 27 (2960 BC) Our worker moved to the hill to start a mine.

Turn 28 (2920 BC)
    Madrid grows: 3

. . .

Turn 30 (2840 BC)
    Tribal village results: 47 gold
    Madrid finishes: Work Boat

IBT:
    While defending, Warrior defeats (2.00/2): Barbarian Lion

Turn 31 (2800 BC)
    Madrid begins: Warrior <-- a garrison for our second city. Our worker moved to the forest south of the hill to begin chopping the warrior/settler combination. Meanwhile, Bob's replacement explores to the south for a good 2nd-city site.

Turn 32 (2760 BC)

IBT:
    While defending, Warrior defeats (2.00/2): Barbarian Lion

Turn 33 (2720 BC)
    Warrior promoted: Woodsman I

. . .

IBT:
    Hinduism founded in a distant land

Turn 37 (2560 BC)

Turn 38 (2520 BC)
    Tech learned: Iron Working
    Tribal village results: technology

Turn 39 (2480 BC) We have Iron in Madrid's fat cross. Our worker started to mine it.

Turn 40 (2440 BC)
    Research begun: The Wheel
    Madrid finishes: Settler

Turn 42 (2360 BC)
    Madrid begins: Galley

. . .

Turn 44 (2280 BC)
    Madrid grows: 4 And grows unhappy.

Turn 45 (2240 BC)
    Madrid finishes: Galley I whipped the Galley but it was for 1 population -- not enough to cure unhappiness.

Turn 46 (2200 BC)
    Madrid begins: Barracks

Turn 47 (2160 BC)
    Tech learned: The Wheel

Turn 48 (2120 BC)
    Research begun: Pottery
    Barcelona founded I founded it near the copper in the south-east, even though we don't need it that much. But the site is across a 1-tile wide straight and our culture will claim Rice on Montezuma's island -- that'll really tick him off. He's going to be our first target, I suspect.
    Barcelona begins: Obelisk

. . .

Turn 50 (2040 BC) I whipped the Barracks in Madrid. We're 3 or 4 turns away from building the road to the Iron Mine and then we can start building Axemen and Swordsmen.

My Save bites. Don't pick it.

11. remconius

remconius Deity

Can't wait to play tonight and read your reports. Did quick warrior on the hill move and that made me think where to build the capital.

Will do more thinking tonight.

12. Mutineer

Mutineer Deity

Hmm.. we have border problem, do we count turn 1 as turn 0 or as turn 1?

2040 = 411 turns left. My personal opinion is to keep it on round number, but one turn does not matter.

13. Mutineer

Mutineer Deity

My 50 turns, finishing 2000 BC,
    Spoiler :

Initial analisys:

We are spain on lake (well, on crabs which give 2 food 2 commerce).
    I want religion.
    Useally Spain prioritise Buddism and not every civ with mysticism does. WE have a good chance to get buddism.
    Settle in place.
    Set research on meditation.
    Send warrior north.
    Set build on workboat, fastest and cheapest way to increase production.
    Any worker we build will have nothing to do.

On turn 5, after border expand switch to work plain forest.
    2 shields /1 food, to speed up boat.

Got buddism, next reseach - mining.
    I want slavery, as we have enogth happiness to do whiping and our trait give us a cheap granary.
    We have one hill for worker to mine and mining hills is the best way (Next to special resources) to increase shields and productivity early on.
    Build warrior untill we get to size 2 (very little turns left with grabs working) then switch on worker.

My exploring warrior found scout, which I send south.

Mining - bronse working
    Build worker, he can only mine, so he went to mine hill on river.
    build shift on more warriors, when continue to grow.
    After mining hill I got slavery which let me to start chopping into setler, when continue to produce warriors in a mean time.
    Bronze working - well, I want granary as soon as posible.

I chop to grass forsers which adjusted to other forests, as they have the best chance to regrow.
    Warriors I build went on fog bustin duty and My second city cite duty.
    well- pottery

After worker chop 2 forests into setler (40 shields) I send him to chop forest on my second city site.
    pottery - farming.

My scout found map and a little gold befor die.
    The moment my city ritch size 4 (Working 3 food resource as 3rd tie) I whiped setler for 2 population, converting 50 food into 60 shields.
    setler- granary.
    Worker chop 11 more shield and I founded second city the same turn.

second city start granary, as I do not have much else to build at the moment.
    capital granary- worker. Second worker for farming resource in capital and cut forest or mine gold for thurd city.
    Worker went to mine gold and barselona switch to work gold the moment mine finished.
    farming - hunting
    This is mostly to give next person mahimum flehibility.
    Hunting is very cheap, all AI have it, it speed up animal hasbentry and oper archery. I really do not want to trade for it anyway.

So, this is state at the end of 50 turn.
    WE own 5 warriors, 1 worker, 2 cities.

warrior near river going left to fog bust lust 2 ties in area, making everything save exept Barselona from south.

Capital size 3 and barselona size 1.

We are first in GNP and resonable score in other category.

Politeism and Monoteism gone, but we do not care.
    We made only one contact with Khan.

Barselona has 7 forests in fat cross, making it a good cite to chop wander or 2.

AS I see, we a few options.
    Priesthood, build oracle and take Mettalocasting. It would be very beneficial for us, we have gold and we can build colosys, allways good on warter map and....

it does not need any other research, so we can at the same time research animal hasbentry for potential hources for defence and worker tech,
    Research archery if that fail,
    Research Masonry/sailing and build Greate ligthhouse, very beneficial wander on this map.

In a mean time build thurd city on second gold, for more research.
    Build exploring workboat to establish as many contacts as posible to spread our religion try trade routes.
    WE would need sailing and AI will research writing soon.
    Low sea level mean that we should be able to establish contacts with out optics.
    Trade will increase our income and will let us to leverage Greate ligthhouse to max.
    Micromanagment wize I would whip worker next turn.

And then decide do we use 2 workers stright away to chop Oracle as soon as posible or risk loosing Oracle,
    but I think we have about 1500 BC to build it.

Other option is to farm food source and build road to river first, connecting gold.
    This will speed up development.

I would build trurd city on hill next to second gold at north. City will have gold and fish and ship as special resource, very good thurd city.

14. Immaculate

Immaculate unerring

I'll play more tonight. Didn't know about the F8 button telling you turn numbers.

Also, ignore the part of my post which says we will all be drunk. I thought those spices were wine. Probably people thought that I was drunk.

15. LlamaCat

LlamaCat Emperor

If you go to the Victory Conditions screen it shows how many turns left at the top. Normal speed starts at 460 so I just played mine until it showed 410 turns left.

16. remconius

remconius Deity

My Report:
    Spoiler :

4000BC:
    Looks like lakes. Decide to explore
    Warrior to the hill, Settler NW-S.

3960BC:
    Build capital on Original spot. Madrid start workboat.
    Work Clams and decide to go for Meditation. What is Isabelle without Buddhism :)

3800BC:
    Meet GK.
    Get sccout from hut.

3600BC:
    Buddhism comes in. Woohoo!!
    Religion taken.
    Mining started.
    Get 30g from a hut.

3360BC:
    Mining comes in BW next.

3320BC:
    108g from hut.

3240BC:
    WB completed, Warrior next.

3000BC:
    Get BW from a hut, too bad we were almost there...
    BW>wheel.
    Slavery adopted

2960BC:
    Warrior > Warrior
    Switch to Priesthood for Oracle.

2920BC:
    Whip warrior

2880BC:
    Warrior > Warrior

2720BC:
    Warrior > Oracle
    Priesthood > Writing

2240BC:
    Writing > Agriculture

2000BC:
    Worker built a mine and is chopping forests.
    One more forest and a couple of pop should be enough for the Oracle.

Summary:
    -Got Buddhism for happiness.
    -Oracle is very possible with chop and whip. Could get CoL (most expensive) or IW or Alphabet (only know GK, so trading is limited)
    -Next step is to get archery for defense, then IW to find Iron.
    -Marked some city spots that seem reasonable.

save:
    View attachment 141985

17. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

so we're waiting on .5 games, right? editted b/c i discovered Frank's game

a few more turns from Immac, and a full set from...hmmm....

the roster on Post 1 says that i'm in team 1, but want to be in 2...who are the four playing this first round?

18. Ozbenno

I think we're just waiting on the rest of Immac's turns and Llamacat. I'm pretty sure you were moved to Team 2, pholk.

19. Immaculate

Immaculate unerring

I played my turns. I edited my first write-up instead of re-posting.

done.... and...

We got all but Llamacat's in and he mentioned that he finished playing just didn't submit his write-up yet (i think).

He wrote:

So, once we have Llammacat's in (i think), we can go with the B-team:

Pholk Pigswill Ozbenno Kanga DU​

I think if you want to discuss its safe to not use spoilers. i am going to go read everyone's write-ups now :).

I.

20. LlamaCat

LlamaCat Emperor

Alrighty chaps, here is my report finally. Warning: Content not suitable for people who actually know how to play this game.

Spoiler :

4000 BC - Madrid on the spot, build warrior, work clam water tile and research meditation (popular choice I think)

3680 - with Meditation due next turn, switch from working water tile and work the forest-grassland to speed warrior production. Start researching mining after meditation and founding of Buddhism.

3560 - city grows size 2; warrior completes and begin on work boat to catch those crabs

3520 - I meet the Mighty Khan

3480 - second hut produces a tech! Masonry ... but no stone in sight as of yet

3360 - after mining, begin bronze working. Third hut produces another tech - sailing! Wow, I've never gotten two techs from huts before ... and this is Emperor level? The randomness of the universe, gotta love it.

3160 - 4th hut provides some gold, but alas, a lion beats me down immediately after that.

3080 - work boat finishes, start on a new warrior (would have started a settler if my other warrior had survived that lion). My first warrior has circled back to Madrid for safety and happiness in the city.

3040 - Hinduism founded ... by someone else.

2880 - BW researched, adopt slavery. Start on The Wheel.

2760 - replacement warrior is done, the city has grown to size 4 and I'm going to start on a settler now, which is unusual for me because normally I would have a worker out first. But I've neglected the worker techs since we have crabs (not that kind of crabs!) in the fishing nets + a flood plains/desert tile to help growth. Got lots of spices around but those are worthless until Calendar, right? And you see a gold resource just outside the borders:

2640 - after The Wheel I switch to Priesthood

2600 - Damn: barbarian archer out of nowhere! Warrior survives and I promote to woodsman.

2480 - I can finally whip the settler and start on another warrior

2440 - aha! here's some marble at least, but pretty far south of the city

Wish it was stone - I like Pyramids, but am thinking someone else will beat me to it by the time I hook this up way down here. I'm settling my second city to the north actually, where there's gold in them thar hills. Here's the spot I have in mind:

2240 - change of plans, I'm turning my settler around and heading south toward that Marble and maybe going for the Oracle. I've got my scouting warrior down there for support and I fear there may be too many barbarians or even a barb city very soon on that northern coast, I just can't tell - I spotted a barb archer up there earlier. I've got a worker queued up in Madrid finally.

2200 - Hunting is done, I'm going to research Animal Husbandry now to see if there are any horses around. Agriculture can wait for now.

2160 - kill a barb warrior in the south woods. Keeping the hoodlums at bay as my settler slowly makes his way south with another warrior escort. Looking for a good spot in this area now as shown on my next map, trying to have the gold, marble and copper as close as possible to the city:

2000 - my settler has arrived on the square where I think the 2nd city should go. it's on the coast and should have the gold and marble within range pretty soon. Worker is still in process at Madrid.

Military: 2 warriors in Madrid, 1 with the settler, 1in the forests to the south.

Jeez, 50 turns and I still only have 1 city? Looks like I'm dead last in almost everything...except for some reason Madrid is the world's top city. I've probably made a real mess of things but this level is uncharted territory for me. Hope you enjoyed the reading at least!