[GS] Multiplayer feature for simultaneous turns

kotpeter

Warlord
Please add the possibility to set a client-side minimum delay between offensive actions (in seconds).

The reasoning is simple: in Civ 6 multiplayer, fast-clicking provides lots of advantage. In general, it allows you to take your turns faster and accomplish more within the given time limit. With simultaneous turns enabled, however, this turns wars into a fast-click mess, or a ping challenge, depending on network delay. This is not fair, and I don't believe it's generally satisfying to outplay opponents by clicking faster than your opponent, especially in a game like Civ. To each their own, of course, it's just my opinion.

Some multiplayer leagues even establish agreements on minimum delay before starting offensive actions. What I ask for (or propose) is a bit different:

Whenever a player is at war, he/she cannot attack with military units more than once in X seconds where X can be configured during game setup (only when simultaneous turns are enabled, because otherwise this param does not make much sense). This way, if X=2, players can only use their military units once every 2 seconds, which legitimately turns the war into alternating attacks between players. This is more tactical and actually more like alternating turns, which Civ 6 is balanced around in general. Or like a blitz chess, which is cool, I believe :)

Of course, this option can be disabled for the fans of current implementation. Also, it kind of affects snowballing players with lots of army because it denies their capabilities to use all their units. However, I don't see this being much of a problem, because it's a toggleable parameter for niche use cases, and no one is forced to play using this setting. However, it could really simplify the life and imply fairness during multiplayer FFA games with simultaneous turns.

I believe more thought can be put into all this (e.g. should planes be affected by such restriction, etc.), so if my idea sounds interesting to anyone, let's discuss :) Any feedback is welcome!

Top Bottom