Music Genres

aimeeandbeatles

watermelon
Cleaning up my music collection (fixing tags, adding cover art, etc). Noticed "Rock" was an incredibly broad genre. Thought it'd be a good idea to define it further. It's confusing, though. An album I thought of as hard rock was actually listed as "alternative metal" on Discogs. I still have no idea what some genres are even after checking WIkipedia. Album rock I thought was a radio format.

Is there a better way to figure this stuff out, or should I just leave it?

Rock genres are, at best, really blurry designations. If you get fairly close, I think you're doing well enough. No matter what you do, someone will disagree with most of it. So don't worry about it too much.

Cleaning up my music collection (fixing tags, adding cover art, etc). Noticed "Rock" was an incredibly broad genre. Thought it'd be a good idea to define it further. It's confusing, though. An album I thought of as hard rock was actually listed as "alternative metal" on Discogs. I still have no idea what some genres are even after checking WIkipedia. Album rock I thought was a radio format.

Is there a better way to figure this stuff out, or should I just leave it?

You're probably better off defining the subclasses in a way you like - as Cutlass implied it's arbitrary anyway.

Top Bottom