1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

My Deity Histo Attempt(s)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by killercane, Apr 29, 2005.

1. killercane

killercane Deity

Grass - 2057
    Plains- 846
    Desert- 103
    FP- 43
    Total- 3049.

Dom is 4200. So Ill be using over 1100 coastal tiles to get to the final tally.

I see what you mean about Uskudar;I am a horrible milker, this is true. I want to maximize sea tiles and putting cities on the coast seemed to be the thing to do on this vertical land mass. None of the Demigod+ saves in the HOF have the 1000 AD saves with them to check my progress, but I found Svar's huge domination insightfull however. He had 2600+ pop at 1385 IIRC.

As for the actual game, Greece is the only real big threat. Im at an oscillating war with everyone but Persia and Greece. The Ottos are cooked, Korea is halfway gone, Babs and Germany are quite weak. Sumerian cavalry have intercepted me in former korean territory, and I need to figure out a way to appease them for the time being so I can finish off the Koreans. I have an MPP (doh!) with Persia to protect my flank for a time, which complicates that.

2. superslug

superslug Still hatin' on Khan Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

No, it's not true! Horrible milkers just assume they know exactly what they're doing and stumble forward stubbornly without doublechecking themselves or trying to learn, which is what you're doing by posting in the HOF forum and analyzing other people's games. Just by participating here you're already becoming a better milker.

Having seen those mapstat numbers, you're right, you'll have to go for coastal tiles. As far as sea-cities go, just make sure you pay attention to whether or not more coastal tiles will get included in the second border expansion, and be sure to sell whatever your culture generators are in those towns. It'll save you money and hassle later.

And whenever possible, drop your cities on hills!!!

3. superslug

superslug Still hatin' on Khan Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

There will be some variations between games, but you might also want to check out the Deity and Sid runs, just to have more understanding on milk procedures. BTW, have you read the best milk thread ever?: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=81424

4. killercane

killercane Deity

But of course! I plan on using his score at certain dates to get some kind of calculation about where I stand, since my goal is 60K and he ended up with 64.

5. rysingsun

rysingsun King

i'm working on a similar milking game now. killercane are you taking 1 1/4 hours to cycle through the cities each turn like me? wow, this is a nightmare. only 260 turns to go :p huge continent deity like you. we may be competing with each other :)

6. killercane

killercane Deity

I do it every few turns, and when worker builds finish I zoom to the city and rearrange happies. Its definitely a pain.

7. rysingsun

rysingsun King

killer if you would like to check your progress against my own game just email me at jc@tosc.com (identifying yourself as "killercane") and i would be happy to send you a zip file. on account of the enormous size of the saves i cannot just blindly send you a zip of every saved turn i have (about 20), so give me an idea which parts of the game are most important to you :)

8. killercane

killercane Deity

Thank you for the offer. How far along are you in the game? What do you think a good time to reach the domination limit would be? 1250 AD? My first attempt I stopped at 55% to start milk things and didnt push the limit hard but Im pushing hard this time.

9. rysingsun

rysingsun King

not having the game in front of me i would say sometime around 1250 i hit somewhere around 55 percent. at this point i put about 3/4 of my cities into "milk mode" which basically means i irrigated everything around 3/4 of my cities and produced no military in those cities. then i had to organize a giant continent invasion which took about 20 turns getting me to about 63 percent. now im mopping up a number of islands disbanding junk (tundra etc) cities as i go to keep under the domination limit. im in the process of irrigating and milking my core as of a few turns ago. its about 1450 now.

10. killercane

killercane Deity

Well a sneak attack by Greece waylaid my plans in the Maya game, cramping my expansionistic plans while my army was on the other side of the world fighting Sumeria. So mapfinder found another map for me.

11. killercane

killercane Deity

The domination limit is 4512. Wheres the beef in this picture?? Well there isnt any, but the oases plus AGR trait gives me a few despotic settler factories. 3 nearby luxes plus one neighbor building ToA and another relatively nearby building Pyramids and Leos allowed for a pretty nice conquering spree while I saved money and planned on capturing the Great Library in yet another nearby civ, America.

12. killercane

killercane Deity

Horses however proved to be 24 tiles plus away from the core, so they did not get hooked up until around 600 BC. I did manage a monarchy slingshot (you have to love the Ottomans and their drive towards monarchy). For AI civ choice for these huge deity Iro games I decided on enough scientifics to spur on the tech pace but retaining a few non AGR non alphabet civs that only start with 1 defense people as their free units (America, Mongolia).

At 110 bc I was fighting my first war against the Ottomans for their spices, dyes and most importantly the ToA. The ToA simply explodes your score in the early game when your population remains low.

13. killercane

killercane Deity

Once Osman was sent to another continent (or so I thought), I turned on America at 250 ad. I would need to fight through them to get to Mongolia, who was my ultimate target, with Pyramids and Leos in Karakorum. America had been set to war against the Mongolian hordes in exchange for some Iroquois technology, and I figured after 30 some odd turns the brunt of their force was down in Mongol land. The Mongols were much stronger than Abe, but he did end up taking a few mongols cities (Superslug's menace was fighting a war against his other neighbor Russia, again thanks to me). The Mongols would have been a very tough civ with their land and the wonders they had up if not for help from some friends.

Abe's defenses were pretty light, with horses right across the border that were quickly cut off, though he did have iron all the way down by Washington so I fought quite a few pikes.

14. killercane

killercane Deity

Score at 1000 ad was 10,114, which is certainly my best start so far by 2000 points. Domination was reached about 1230.

Im now at 1545 dealing with the double pain of pollution and domination limit problems. Score is 26,648, gaining at 227 per turn, with almost 5300 citizens. I was at about 6150 points ahead of Sir Plebs pace at 1505, so hopefully that will translate into 70K at the end. I do plan on automating workers and pressing enter and just dealing with the score drop for the most part (Im lazy now that the game is just busy work). Cure for cancer and Longevity were built in 1460.

One of my main problems now is I joined in most of my 600 workers leading up to Longevity for the interim score boost as I moved to metros in the cities that could get a hospital up. I now only have 75 workers and 75 slaves give or take a few, and pollution has just gotten to the point where that is not enough to clean up the odd mountain tile plus the other pollution so I am having to deal with that annoyance and build more workers out of cities that are soon to be relocated. I would guess that 200 workers would be a solid number for the milking portion of a huge map?

15. AutomatedTeller

AutomatedTeller Frequent poster

oh my god. an irrigated oasis gives 3 food under despotism to an agri civ, doesn't it? It never occured to me... man, this is a complex game...

16. killercane

killercane Deity

With the help of a stapler on the keyboard I am going to dust this thing off and finish it up. I just checked and the Persians, who I should have destroyed long ago, have built up a sizeable arsenal of well over 1000 units:

88 cavs
    56 rifles
    106 infantry
    400 TOWs
    150 aircraft incl. cruise missiles and 24 nukes
    150 ships of various sorts
    a number of settlers and workers and various longbows and other nonsense

I need to destroy them before I just press enter a bunch of times, as they will hit 160K culture in 40 or so turns. They are no real threat for SS as they lack rubber.

17. Tone

Tone Deity Hall of Fame Staff

I like to see maps. Any chance of a current minimap or screen shot?

400 TOWs will take a few long sessions to deal with I would imagine. Good luck!

18. killercane

killercane Deity

I thought I had posted a map for some reason, but I guess I didnt. Here is the situation at 1710 after shortrushing modern armor for the last 20 turns. I think I can effectively destroy all cities on my continent in one turn, and then airlift them onto the main Persian continent.

I think the plan is to grab the furs with my settlers on his continent (the only lux I lack) and weather the first turn storm.

19. killercane

killercane Deity

It is 1973, and I think I lost several thousand points by not changing unhappies during the 20 turn persian war and the press enter technique (not to mention getting nuked many times). Score should be about 61000 I would guess. Are future tech points added on per turn score or score at the end?

I also am not going to take the time to destroy Longevity and rebuild the city. I figure the score loss is negligible.

20. Tone

Tone Deity Hall of Fame Staff

:eek:

Are they actually worth much. I researched 43 future techs in my game and here is my final score breakdown.

I am ignorant as to how they contribute to the final score (I think it's per turn score) but is it really worth it?