Naming Spies, Archaeologists, etc.

TyrannusRex

Warlord
Is there a way that civilizations get names for their Spies & Archaeologists? They seem to be different from the 20 or so "citizen names" that the wiki gives for each civilization (that I believe are drawn from for delegate names).

I seldom rename these but I always rename Vampires and I have two names I use. Baron Von Barron is my favorite.

Oh, I'm not talking about "how should I rename them"; I'm talking about the generated names they have upon being spawned. I don't think they draw from the same citizen name list as you see in your news feed.

Oh, I'm not talking about "how should I rename them"; I'm talking about the generated names they have upon being spawned. I don't think they draw from the same citizen name list as you see in your news feed.
There's 10 pre-defined names for each civ, for both ages and genders. Forty total = 10 Male Ancient, 10 Female Ancient, 10 Modern Male, 10 Modern Female. I just had a look at a couple of civs on the wiki site and they seem to all be present... are you able to cite which civ and name prompted this topic? It would be interesting to try and track down where the name has come from.
It makes me wonder if there's some clever script in there with dual-civ leaders that allows them to choose from the name pools of both civs they can represent.

As far as renaming citizens, I just edited the xml file for Australia becasue I enjoy random silliness like that - citizen names, city names, geographic feature names.

As far as renaming citizens, I just edited the xml file for Australia becasue I enjoy random silliness like that - citizen names, city names, geographic feature names.

sorry if I'm asking a stupid question, but what do you mean by "citizen names" ? You mean citizens in each city have names? I can't find that.

I do see the names for spies and archeologists, though.

sorry if I'm asking a stupid question, but what do you mean by "citizen names" ? You mean citizens in each city have names? I can't find that.

I do see the names for spies and archeologists, though.
Citizen names are used for those gossip reports -- things like "your delegate, Bob, reports that Egypt has built a Brothel in Giza".

Examples here, names highlighted: (this was a game where I was playing as Poland)
delegate names.jpg

The names are all declared in a "gameplaytext" XML file, there's quite a few of these files covering the base game, expansions and DLCs.

Thanks! I was looking in the cities themselves. I probably don't pay enough attention to these gossips, too many of them...

There's 10 pre-defined names for each civ, for both ages and genders. Forty total = 10 Male Ancient, 10 Female Ancient, 10 Modern Male, 10 Modern Female. I just had a look at a couple of civs on the wiki site and they seem to all be present... are you able to cite which civ and name prompted this topic? It would be interesting to try and track down where the name has come from.
It makes me wonder if there's some clever script in there with dual-civ leaders that allows them to choose from the name pools of both civs they can represent.

Unfortunately, I can't cite a specific example off the top of my head, but I'll try to keep an eye out when I play again. I'm about 99% certain that I trained a spy as Gaul that did not have a name from the citizen list I'm looking at. Scythia might have done the same thing; I've got a game in progress as Scythia, I'll write down the names of spies I train.

Okay, update:
I recorded the names of five spies, three archaeologists, and a newsfeed citizen in my Scythia game, and...
They're all in the citizen list and I must be going crazy. :crazyeye:

Okay, update:
I recorded the names of five spies, three archaeologists, and a newsfeed citizen in my Scythia game, and...
They're all in the citizen list and I must be going crazy. :crazyeye:
Maybe the list you were looking at prior to this (that prompted you to start the topic) wasn't complete. When you get a quite unique name that only occurs once in the xml declarations, it becomes a sure bet that that is where they are being drawn from.

Top Bottom