NC 184 - Roosevelt

Markets? Just no, it's such an expensive and weak building, rather just grow and work coast. I also don't understand why you want to go drama early as there is lots of :) anyway.

ups, my bad, i mean courts, drama cuz dyes thats 2 happy faces

drama cuz dyes thats 2 happy faces
Well, theatre is rather cheap indeed, but only gives +1 :) with dye. I don't think that's a good reason to alter your tech path when there are probably many other reachable :) -resources, too.

T58 deity nhne

Spoiler :

Settle on plains the plan was to make a space for a another city on dye 2S from my capitol dunno was it best idea.

I think that sampsa made better business by settling on sugar, but i was so many times squeezed on this kind on maps so ... well
mining-bw-sailing-mansonry-ah-(writing or mistycyzm) dont know yet, i rly need a border pop in my 3th city but, maybe Saladin will be that kind and spread rel to me :wavey:?

defending with warriors on deity is not fun :whew:

didnt play a while ... but i allrdy like this game :)

Not sure whether I like these watery maps or not. Anyway, I gave this a try on Immortal and the first look of the map is pretty good. Unfortunately I played so sloppy that I decided to try again from scratch at a better time.

Spoiler :
Anyway, I see there are horses down south. Has anyone played with the idea of horse archer rushing Saladin? Looks to me like if you can do that, you can easily get 20+ cities peacefully after that. Add the GLH and a truckload of cottages everywhere and who is gonna be able to stop you? I realize it might not be necessary, just asking if anyone has done it or toyed with the idea :)

Alright I finished at 1955 Space Race on Immortal.

Spoiler :

Lessons learned :lol:
Don't HA rush unless you have to. I tried it against Saladin but I was kinda late to the party. Didn't wanna whip all my towns down because I was teching at the same time and started late because I went for some other techs first and build GLH etc. I guess if you're gonna HA rush especially against PRO characters, you better focus on it from the start. I took some of his land but had to finish him with Engineering later, since he already had too many troops and a bunch of hilled cities. Also he was kinda far away. Anyway, I deleted him, then capped Mao (who had dowed me a couple times before) with Steel and Rifling later. Everyone else had a ton of cities and/or was far away, so I decided to just take it easy and tech to space. Went well, I had the tech lead the whole time by quite a margin. But I had never done a space race before and had no idea why you can build some parts more than once. So i chose not to do it and just launched, since building the parts took me way longer than getting the necessary techs for all of it. So pretty much finish one part somewhere, immediately start building the next instead of building the parts you can get more often more often before you can even get the next ones. Well I looked it up and found in the victory condition screen that I had a 20% success rate. Now since I didn't know better and I could have easily built the other parts as well in time and still won, I reloaded the last turn like 20 times. Still lost every time though.

So question arises: does it simulate whether your space race is successful by the time you launch the ship or at the turn you arrive at Alpha Centauri?

So question arises: does it simulate whether your space race is successful by the time you launch the ship or at the turn you arrive at Alpha Centauri?
I think it does on arrival. But... on default game uses fixed random seed (like if you lost unit with 99.9% win odds, you will do it on reload too), so if you have not done anything to use up random number before clicking enter it will be the same every time.

So, in reality it gets fixed after the last random number application or something like that.

Imm, NH NE:
Spoiler :
I really enjoy these kind of maps. Unfortunately, I am knocking off some rust from having not played in a while, and my IMM victory rate was only ever ~33% to begin with. Long story short, I quit the game even though it was still technically winnable after bogging myself down with a poorly planned war against Saladin. The plan was to just take 1-2 cities, but I underestimated IMM AI unit spam. The game was actually "lost" when I missed the GLH by 2 turns. Definitely should have made that a higher priority. Even without it I peacefully rexed to 11 cities and had a booming economy. With GLH I imagine I could have taken Steel with Liberalism and dominated with Frigates/Cannons.

Immortal. 1500ad.
Not doing too badly ( I think). Not sure how to finish the game. Diplomation?

Attachments

• NC Roosevelt AD-1500.CivBeyondSwordSave
    349.3 KB · Views: 211
So AZ is doing a Let's Play of this map on his youtube.
First spoiler is just the video, but the thumbnail gives a little bit away sooo...

Spoiler :

He has quite a different approach to anyone else that has posted so far as far as I can tell. It's quite interesting really.

Spoiler :
His first settler goes way the hell down south to block off Saladins expansion. He succeeds in that, but it means that Saladin is quicker grabbing land on the island to the east where the human player could otherwise get some nice spots. Also settling in Saladins face means that he is scared of him and switches to his religion asap to not get declared on, which means that he is Churchills worst enemy, which causes problems. His approach to the type of map (in the middle of part 2 he still hasn't fully figured out that he has only Mao, Churchill and Saladin to work with until Optics) is also a little different. He keeps emphasizing that his best chance to beat the map was to expand like crazy as fast as possible. Not sure where this one is gonna go, as he obviously is quite rusty and only plays Civ4 every couple months nowadays.

Imm 1260 AD
Spoiler :

So it ended up being a little easier than I thought. I had some trouble with rexing due to a few barbs I couldnt get rid of and a then because noone tech'd alpha I ended up with a pretty weird tech order. After currency/CoL the tech rate got so high im just obscenely far ahead, probably could have lib'd combustion if id wanted to. I have 2 great people and taj coming in, I might go for a space victory or just wait till US and buy lots of transports/tanks. I also went a little simcity build crazy here, because ive been in OR and rushed forges in pretty much every city. Im sure I could have jumped on saladin but I dont really like the water maps all that much. Probably will end up going tanks/navy seals/transports and just rushing the whole map. I did really mismanage my workers early, there were a few early turns with very little for them to do, then once I started moving them I realized I didnt have enough.

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-1_12-37-16.png
    upload_2017-5-1_12-37-16.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 145
Last edited:
So AZ is doing a Let's Play of this map on his youtube.
Nice to see that the celebrities are also playing :)

Spoiler :
And yeah, I think one should probably avoid the Siren's call of the triple gold site on this map.

Last edited:
Could have done conquest but too lazy to fight CG3 infantry w artillery so went for diplomation instead (1685 diplo, 205k).

Az(Chris) has this one up on YouTube. Got done watching part 1 a few hours ago.

1AD Deity

Spoiler :

Barb archer smashed Saladins city in the center of on my island :thumbsup:.
Allso citizens of Aden decided to join to my empire... cant blame them :smug:.
Spoiler :

This is 2nd part of my civ iam still rexing theres so much place to be filled.
Iam a bit worry with England and Chinas red fists :run: but well i can only hope taht they will give me enough time to develop.
Plannning to take out Churchill anyway.
Spoiler :

tech race
I have early Compas Harbors with GLH are awsome.
I will deley CS beocuse i dont want to trade them CoL, so going MC and trade for Math and other stuff. Allso i want to start working on GE.
Next probably CS and then early Astro i think that Astro will be better here then Edu.
167:science:/T isnt bad for this kind of map i think.
Spoiler :

I loved how AZ went a completely different path than everyone here. It's interesting to evaluate how different approaches work in this map. I'm thinking about trying it myself on Deity, with the spoilers that I got it might be enough for me to have a chance. Although...

...How do you guys win water maps on Deity? Invading with bombardment from frigates and going for domination or diplo (via vassals)? Tech race?

On this particular map...

Spoiler :
I would discard cultural due to the lack of marble, not to mention it's hard to get many religions on island maps. But maybe being peaceful and trying to get to friendly with 3 AIs (and getting a lot of pop through the peaceful expansion that everyone seems to be getting) could achieve a peaceful diplo victory?

@yyeah

Spoiler :
I see you went with Saladin's religion too. It seems inevitable since he's closer and cares more about that than both Mao and Churchill. Will you prepare with a war with Churchill then? The way the map goes it looks like going Buddhism and assuming an early war with Saladin could also be doable, though it spoils early peaceful expansion. Is there a good reason to discard just waiting for a religion until later in the game, to not spoil the diplo the situation?

@DrCron

Yea iam watching AZ too, love hes playthroughs ( basicly was my "teacher" :)).
he inspired me to finish this one and check how hard this map actually is.

Spoiler :

Like you mentioned Saladin cares a lot of religon, especially if he owns Holy City, like he allmoust allways do on deity.

Heres 2 options, Saladin friend or go to war with him. I prefer get him to friendly, hes not a bad techer, and expand/develop peacefully, until iam rdy.
Wars on this kind of maps are v slow which on deity is terrible everybody run away with tech and its hard to catch up.

I settled by my own now 19 cities i belive its 1000AD, and its rly hard to develop everything, basicly beocuse one have to transport settlers workers etc and it takes like forever.
On top of that every city needs LH, Granary, Court ( no option to expand above like 16 cities without Courts), Forge, Harbor, Lib +25%:hammers: from Org Rel helps a lot.
So from my point of view, on deity at least one have to adopt Org Rel its just too many :hammers:. I can understand if one is planning war then one doesnt need to develop that much other way religion is a must have.
Diplo win is definetly an option on this kind of maps but i dont rly like this kind of vic condition. I more like go to space get coprs and just start teching like :crazyeye:.

But idk my last BiC game was space maybe i go for tanks and nukes here if i manage to get GE.
Early Flight on this maps is advantages, not only one can spread corps but allso one can transpport units this way without like heavy investment in navy.
So yea thats my plan

But who knows.

Not only AZ get DoW, they wombo combo me too :cry:. I though i was safe beocuse England DoW on Saladin- that was short war.
But unfortunatly Mao Dow on me and bribed Churchill in too.
I think i have made mistake i was ahead in points with Mao i should demand 1 :gold: from him.
Spoiler :

Anyway if its only this thats no problem. This stack is a joke.
I have Astro so i didnt loose :traderoute: i should recover fast.

And i can take this city from Englad. Guy took it out with only 1 sword :crazyeye:.
1 English Swordsman took 4 barb archers... awsome.
Spoiler :

Last edited:
AZ just finished NC 184.

Spoiler :
It didn't work out. He was about to declare against Saladin in early Medieval war, but got double teamed by Churchull and Mao in a surprising move the turn before. He managed to fight them off, went after Saladin afterwards, and drove him off the mainland and chased him over a few islands. Saladin had Longbowmen at the start of the war. He had Infantry by the end. There was no capitulation in sight, so he went for a peace treaty and got some gold. By this point, he was completely out-teched by everyone except Saladin. He tried to pull off a Diplomatic win with Sid's Sushi, but he had too few friends.

You can tell that he's rusty: he thought Carriers had land troops in them, and he briefly forgot that Farms generally need fresh water.

Top Bottom