Need Good Strategy Game

atticus finch

Chieftain
I'm in a rut. The past few games I've bought have gotten boring after a few days. Can anyone suggest a good strategy game? Preferably one that's not brand new- my computer can't handle a lot of the newer games. I'll go for anyone type- rts, turnbased, annything! Here are the strategy games I already have:
Heroes of Might and Magic 5 with expansions
Entire Civ series
All Total War games except Empire
Entire Age of Empires series
EU3 plus expansions
EU Rome
Hearts of Iron 1
Dawn of War plus expansions
Command and Conquer The First Decade
Star Wars Empire at War plus expansions

Any suggestions?

Hearts of Iron 1
Hearts of Iron II is highly recommended, especially if you liked the first one or Europa Universalis. You could probably guess that one from all the AARs on this board, though. The only problem is that it might be a bit tough to find in stores.

Galatics Civ2. I'd stay away from Sword in the Stars unless you like a RTS element in your strategy games.

I'm in a rut. The past few games I've bought have gotten boring after a few days. Can anyone suggest a good strategy game? Preferably one that's not brand new- my computer can't handle a lot of the newer games. I'll go for anyone type- rts, turnbased, annything! Here are the strategy games I already have:
Heroes of Might and Magic 5 with expansions
Entire Civ series
All Total War games except Empire
Entire Age of Empires series
EU3 plus expansions
EU Rome
Hearts of Iron 1
Dawn of War plus expansions
Command and Conquer The First Decade
Star Wars Empire at War plus expansions

Any suggestions?

Try getting Diplomacy for PC, look it up, purchase it on-line. Or try PC version of Axis and Allies. They are both older games.

King's Bounty: Legends

Play the demo to see what it's like. It's kinda like H5 except adapted for single player.

Galatics Civ2. I'd stay away from Sword in the Stars unless you like a RTS element in your strategy games.

Both the Total War series and Paradox games have RTS in them, and they are on his list, he also listed Age of Empires.

Hearts of Iron 2 is a definite if you liked the first. Company of Heroes if your computer can handle it.

For an older one then get the original Homeworld. It's a wonderful RTS in space, with a most lovely storyline to it :)

Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon is a must... Although HOI3 is coming out in Sept. and looks like it will be epic!

For a different kind of game, Tropico is a fun one.

Here's some strategy games that I've enjoyed:

Sins of a Solar Empire - a scifi rts on a big scale (many planets on a map) with good interface and AI to handle it all.

Dominions III - a fantasy 4X tbs game with a huge variety of playable factions and possible strategies. The graphics are weak and it's expensive, but it has the best manual ever.

Armageddon Empires - post-apocalyptic 4X tbs in which all your assets are represented by cards. It's quick to play, but there's a lot in it: assassins, air power, commandos, biologic research, tactics cards, and giant death robots (observe my avatar).

Battle for Wesnoth - FREE turnbased strategy rpg that's pretty simple, but very well balanced and can be quite challenging. Also, it's FREE.

All of these will run on a low-end or old computer, though I didn't consider that when making the list. They're all excellent games.

Sword of the Stars Ultimate Collection - sadly you just missed asale on it on Gamersgate but eh it's still only $29.99.

Agreed with this, great game. Doesn't have the sheer depth of, say, Paradox games, but it's great fun. The space battles in particular are probably second only to Homeworld (actually, if you can get hold of a copy, and get it working on modern computers, Homeworld would be a good suggestion...:p)

EU3 plus expansions
Have you also tried out MMP?
That mod gave EU3 an entire new breathing for me...and MMP2 that is due in a month or two makes me excited like schoolboy before his first date...:blush:
Linky

EDIT: To add more weight to my suggestion, I will add that your taste for games seems to be nearly identical with mine - first six titles you mentioned are what I've been playing for a long time.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Age of Empires I, II and III and Age of Mythology. Also if you are into WWII, you may want to get Codename: Panzers Phase One, you can get it for about $20 AUS. I would also recommend Stronghold if you like Castle Building. If you like a fast paced RTS you might like Command and Conquer: Generals.

I'ld say that if Napoleonic era is ok -> Crown of Glory:Empire's Edition
*diplomacy
*detailed battles (or not if you prefer not to)
*several campaigns
* pbem ability
* several nations to chose from
*economy needs to be managed as well
or if you want American Civil War -> Forge of Freedom
*play either side
*european diplomacy
*detailed battles (or not it you prefer not to)
*pbem ability
*right use of generals is crucial
*economy needs to be managed as well
If you prefer a huge game about WWII in the Pacific -> War in the Pacific
*Play the allies or Japan
*several scenarios, from 1 day to 5 years
*1-3 days per turn
*huge database, handle ships down to patrolcraft size
*juggle your economy as Japan
*capture/bomb oilfields, resource centers, cities
*landbased units+airial units+naval units
*pbem ability

All from matrixgames.com.
Might sound like I'm trying to sell off matrixgames I guess, but I picked up one of their games some 5 years ago, and have since bought alot of their games.
Their slogan is "By wargamers FOR wargamers" after all :)
I find the forum there to be the best asset, as you get all the help needed by ppl on a daily basis.

Terje

Curious if anyone has played X3 Terran and what did they think of it.

I got it 2 weeks ago, have logged around 30 hours on it, and still feel like I haven't achieved much and don't understand how to do a lot of stuff. That's coming from a guy who thinks he managed to understand and play a game like Europa Universalis III pretty fast.

That being said, I'm having fun with it. But expect a massive learning curve. One of the hardest games to learn that I've played. Also, you gotta be prepared to play a lot since a whole 2-3 hours can be dedicated to not much. It's a contemplative game with occasional battles. The battles are pretty epic. There's a massive amount of content, places to go, and like 300 ships to buy and fly. It's a very economics-oriented game, in a way. You can have your own stations to sell stuff... Freighters to carry goods, etc.

You,re always in your spaceship. Except for brief stints in your space suit outside but that's pretty rare. You just hover in space.

Well, I like it. But it's really not for everyone. I guess it could be considered a strategy game... in a way... It IS empire building, although I guess you could play by just being a space pirate and selling loot...

I can play anything that has some sort of Skirmish mode, if it is just a campaign, I wouldn't think you are getting your moneys worth (especially if it $50 and over) unless it had a really engaging story and really addictive gameplay, I might get it.

Top Bottom