NES forum Civ3 game! fun/quick/easy idea

Great idea! One problem: I dont have conquests... so you guys have fun!

I get the idea that one doesn't need to actually have the game.

Make it civ 4 though.....I'd like to see the new flashy graphics and all.

I have intreast in this. Though I must say C3C AI is crap, but anywyas. Might I suggest that you use the Rhyes of Civ Mod. Awesome mod, awesome units, gameplay, map and AI.

Lord_Iggy said:
He gave his reasons for making it Civ3.

Bleh so what 30 civs big deal..........

The patches and expansion helped to fix that. Although I don't have the expansion, but it sounds fun.

No need to have any game at all, ill run everything on my pc. I may be able to upload save games for people to look at and see whats happening, but that wouldnt be neccessary. Ill try and do a good job with screenies etc. And it might be more fun not to see the whole world until later on...

I liked civ4, the ability to step into edit mode at any time would be very cool for this kind of forum game. But it tends to run way too slowly on my 2ghz 512 ram. I cant really play on worlds bigger than medium, with 8 or 9 civs at most.

My idea for this is that once youve set up your civ, you can either sit back and watch, or do some diplomacy with other people, or send special orders (see below). At the moment, it seems civ3 and all its utilities offers the best chance of getting some tinkering with things as they go along, as well as far greater amount of civ customisation at the start.

Creating a custom civ with custom UU's is also the main idea, i can do that very easily in civ3. Civ4 is very limited with its graphics, even if i knew how to add or edit units for it.

Creating custom buildings - i forgot about the civ-specific tech option, thanks disenfrancised :) Another thing in Civ3's favour...

Personally, I also prefer the variety, detail and exact-ness of sprites and 2D over the somewhat messy 3D of civ4 (I grew up with sega and amiga games :)) So overall, i dont see civ4 being ideal for this...

As for using teturkhan etc, ill look into that. My first idea was just to use a modified vanilla conquests game, making it easier to add UU's to civs, without having to remove too much stuff first. Ive already made a scenario with rule changes that should make things more interesting to watch.

As for doing things in the game, im now thinking of a basic points system for people. 1 or 2 points per age, which you can spend on special things:
* Military campaign, declare war on someone and get tons of extra units near their borders, maybe even automatically get some of their weaker cities
* Military buildup - just getting more units in defence, and military techs, and getting armies and elite units
* Naval expedition - exploring, colonising or conquering somewhere overseas (i'll manually place new units/cities there).
* Naval buildup - get lots of naval units and docks
* Infrastructure - extra city buildings and populations, maybe even a free wonder
* Science - extra techs, science buildings, maybe a free wonder also
* Political stuff - make conquered areas rebel back to their original civ, or quell rebellions in your own lands

Now i have some questions for any potential players....

Question #1 – Would you want save games available to download and look at, as this game goes along?

If so, im only going to use firaxis graphics for the UU’s. Well, maybe one or two custom units, but using loads of them would make this too big for me to upload (im on 56k). Ive worked out how to use INI files on their own to access any of the PTW/conquests graphics from all the hidden/extra thing and scenarios, which people should already have installed. I can then make a *small* .zip for people to download with all the custom settings (really just some .INI files, the scenariom and the pediaicons.txt), if you want to look at save games etc once the game gets going. It will still require conquests installed though.

Question # 2 – What game settings do you want?

Even though this is just going to be AI fighting each other, im going to use some changes that I usually play with in civ3... Extra HP for all experience levels, extra move for boats, more deadly bombard, stronger aircraft defence, increased chance for air intercept, some tinkering with att/def ratings, stealth attack for TOW against tank units, airports+airbases needing advanced flight... ive probably changed more, but thats all i can think of at the mo.

Time limit raised to something silly like 3000AD, to make sure that either a space race or world conquest can happen. No other victory conditions.

Im thinking of playing on ‘Sid’ to hopefully get the best out of the AI. AI production cheating is toned down a bit, to stop the map flooding with units. And the AI-to-AI trade modifier is just 100, not 200, so they don’t share all of their techs for free.

Please feel free to request other/different changes…

Question #3 - Extra Shared Units for all civs?

So far, I’ve added these general units for all civs to use. Just to let you know in case it affects UU choosing...

Musket infantry- Napoleonic style infantry, 5 attack and 5 def, comes with military tradition. This creates two lines of infantry during gunpowder age - Medieval infantry now upgrades to this new musket infantry, and these will be the strong, expensive, attack/def combo infantry types. Musketman still upgrades to riflemen, and these will be the cheaper, defence-only infantry. Then both lines upgrade to normal industrial infantry.

Carbine Cavalry – Ive actually changed the normal cavalry to use the Austrian ‘hussar’ graphics, and it is a bit weaker. Then there is a new carbine cavalry, which comes with nationalism along with the riflemen, this uses the standard cavalry graphics, and it is a little more powerful. Neither of these needs saltpetre.

Nuclear Bomb – Cheaper, shorter range tactical nuke, that comes with fission. It uses the bomber-dropped nuke graphics from the ‘WWII in the pacific’. It’s a bit odd that it can be carried and launched from subs :( but there was no other way to get the AI to use it properly. The idea of this unit is to actually allow nuclear weapons building with fission, well before space flight is researched for the tac-nuke rockets.

Paratrooper – Actually this is a removed unit. I’d prefer just one paratrooper unit in the game, so im using the ‘ww2’ style one. The modern paratrooper graphic one could be someone’s UU…

Question #4 - Map?

At the moment im going with a random map, fairly large, somewhat earth-like continents. I will generate it in the editor, then edit it to be more interesting, and add extra small isalnds and things. Ill also make the invincible polar bear base at the top of the map for my 'observer' civ.

= = =

OK, if people are OK with all this, i cant really do any more until i have some custom civs to put into the game. Looks like i cant add specific player details in-game, so every custom nation will have to exist at the start (the start will probably be about 2000 BC, with cities already on the map). So please fire away! Im not expecting commitment on playing, if you want to just see how the ai plays out without doing anything else thats fine by me.

As well as any of the stuff on the first page, you could also tell me what kind of terrain you want to start in, and whether you want to start as a developed city-state, or a sprawling barbarian kingdom, or somewhere in between.

Could also suggest custom buildings - anything you want, any kind of building or wonder with any effects, its cost will depend on what it does.

:) hmm, i guess i was in the mood for wiritng random things, and i had some time...

Ys League

Leader - Gradlon, King of Cornouaille
Leaderhead- William of Orange will do fine.
Civ colour - White
Seafaring and Agricultural
Prefered government – Republic
Culture group – European

Unique Building
Yssian Polders (Improvement): +1 Shield, +1 Commerce in all coastal tiles. 100 Shields or so, requires harbour.

Unique units
1) Kornden Milita: replaces Spearmen, has +1 defence
2) Ys Sloop: Replaces Caravel and Galleon, has +1 Defence, +1 Move over Caravels and doesn’t sink in ocean. (Probably costs as much as a galleon though)
3) City Guard: Replaces Musketmen, has +1 defence, requires saltpetre
4) Lemmden Marine: Replaces Marines, +4 Attack, +2 Defence, requires rubber extra 10 shields
5) Ys Supercarrier: replaces carrier, has +2 Defence and +1 Move, carries 8 units. Needs oil. Has 8/2/2 air defence. Extra 20 shields

Cities
Ys
Naoned
Roazhon
Brest
Oriant
Kemper
Gwened
Redon
Brieg
Nazer

New:
Aggressiveness - 3
Starting techs - Pottery and Masonry
Building Often - Growth, Production, Wealth, Trade, Naval, Explore, Settlers, workers, defensive land units

awesome, thanks disenfrancised :)

Aren't you starting to complicate it a bit much?

yeah ive probably put too much time into this tonight, the actual game will probably be laughable, but oh well... I hope its kinda fun :)

Kingdom of Zekul *liked it from cui's nes.*

Leader - Eric von Zek,King of Zekul
Leaderhead- The Scandinavian guy.
Civ colour - Purple
Relegious and Agricultural
Prefered government – Monarchy
Culture group – European

Unique units
1)Zekulian Air Guard(replaces regular paratrooper) +2 attack (shields and all that you can figure)(uses modern paratrooper graphics)

Cities
Zekulamuton
Zekulimite
Zekuliera
Temperof
Zekulitalk
Zekulondon
Zekuliparis
Zekuliberlin
Zekuliatlanta

Libria

Leader - Father
Leaderhead - Bismarck
Scientific and Industrial
Civ Colour - Black or Blue
Prefered government – Facism
Culture group – European

UUs:
1) SS trupen

Pangari
Leader - Emperor Risk
Leaderhead- Mao
Civ colour - Red
Scientific and Industrial
Prefered government - Republic
Shunned Government - Despotism
Culture group – Asian

Unique Building - Fortress- Available with Feudalism, requires walls to be built, gives the city the defenses of a Metropolis.

A scouting force of Penguinska fell into a planet's gravity well upon emerging from hyperspace, and crashed, irreversersibly destroying the ship and killing all but three. A penguin named Risk, the highest-ranking survivor, declared himself Emperor of the landed force (one small, crashed 10-penguin vessel with only 3 remaining penguins) and devised a plan to escape. He would take control of the tribe they had crashed into and develop them into an advanced race capable of building a spaceship that would carry the penguins back to the stars.

When the two other penguins pointed out that it would take as long as 5050 years to do this, the plan was finalized. The three penguins kidnapped three leaders from the village and overwrote the leaders' minds with their own (until the spaceship had been built and the penguins could leave, at which point their minds would be returned) and then put their penguin bodies into a time freezer.

Now, the trio leads the state of Pengari out of barbarism, setting out on the long path back to high technology.

1st UU: Riskien Legion- Warriors with an extra defense. You can just use an Enkidu Warrior.

City List:

Panga
Tarsa
Varya
Trica
Arava
Jarca
Artca
Rassa
Pikta
Girsa

very cool :) thanks very much, feel free to add any more UU or anything later on...

I was experimenting with using plagues in the game, and this happened...

Top Bottom