Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately it happened again and this time I couldn't even reload my original save nor any autosave. Deleting the cache didn't work this time.

EDIT: I got it to work!!! I reloaded a 2 hour earlier save, then immediately loaded my original save and this time I got in. :)
Please report this to GitHub. I remember many many moons ago this was happening. If you could not load a save, you had to reload a save from early game and then you could load the latest one without problem. Maybe this bug has kept back in.

It only happened to me ages ago in lategame huge map saves.

Please report this to GitHub. I remember many many moons ago this was happening. If you could not load a save, you had to reload a save from early game and then you could load the latest one without problem. Maybe this bug has kept back in.
I had a CTD on epic speed game at t495, manage to reload a save file at t395 without crashing. Then i tried to reload the t495 file, didnt work, still crashes.

Same here with the loading game crashes. Will try the various solutions and edit/report.

Edit: Yup, deleted cache then reloaded not working. But reloaded my oldest autosave (2h earlier) then the main save worked!

EDIT2: And here we go again 24h later.
Now even loading old save then new save doesn't work. :(

EDIT3: For anyone struggling like I do, just try loading different autosaves then going for the main one or an autosave close to the last save you made...

Last edited:
Am I the only one experiencing that hover info about CS rewards don't work?

Example: It says you gain 44 Influence for destroying a barb camp, the pop up when you do says you've gained 40 influence and your actual influence only increases by 31...

\Skodkim

Am I the only one experiencing that hover info about CS rewards don't work?

Example: It says you gain 44 Influence for destroying a barb camp, the pop up when you do says you've gained 40 influence and your actual influence only increases by 31...

\Skodkim
What game speed are you playing at? It may be a scaling issue with game speed. I personally haven't noticed anything odd though I am currently running marathon speed games.

What game speed are you playing at? It may be a scaling issue with game speed. I personally haven't noticed anything odd though I am currently running marathon speed games.
Playing epic. I use other mods as well (which is why I ask) but afaik none of these should affect this.

\Skodkim

Hello folk of the forum.

I was looking for a bit of an opinion and advice. I play on immortal (only recently) and normally play on random personalities (to make a playthrough feel fresh).

No1 - Do players here know when they’re beaten before they start... ?
I randomly rolled Korea (Again) on the communitas map. Sweden were so close we found each other on the 2nd turn. I had only one area to found a city, unless I forward settled Sweden. (Sweden's military bonuses are so strong from the start). Anyway, I played it the best I could knowing they would forward settle me and say we have contested borders and attack me. Sure enough they did and I died. I could have focused on Iron working & steel but that would have left me so far behind on resource management, I don’t think I could have won.

Just wondering do folk here generally give up and reroll a start if they feel they will be crushed or is it viable to go full warmonger and try to take on Sweden at your doorstep with Korea? With the mind frame of playing peaceful after that and trying to win the space race?

No2 - [This is also an observation on troop size].
I randomly rolled Greece(Progress) next.
The same thing happened but in moderation. Persia(Authority) was close and Darius rolled out their UU, immortals but I had my UU, Hoplites (hoplites are better than immortals and their UA to create GG is more powerful than I’d thought. Basically, I was able to hold his army back while setting down a couple of strategic citadels and raise my troop cap.

Later all my diplomacy played off with Babylon. (thanks Recursive!!). Babylon who was also at mine and Persia's border wanted a defensive pact! It felt so satisfying and dynamic. I thought I had a chance and began exploring the ocean. THEN freaking Rome we’re just 10 tiles away over a narrow sea and having already vassalized the Incas. Rome is never to be trusted. I'm over my military supply by 2 but I have to build more ships. It will really mess up my production and growth penalty. Rome has already many ships at my border.

Now that I'll surely be stuck between a land war and sea war, I find that I have not enough troops. Does authority give too many troops?? Here are some numbers. The menu that pops telling you of different lists in the world gave information on troop size at two different times in the game.

Pop up list person (Military) - Annoying I can't remember his name...

Iroquois 2800 - 3200 (Authority)
Rome 2750 - 4400 (Authority)
Spain 2700 - 3100 (Authority)
Darius 2700 - 3700 (Authority)

Babylon 1300 - 1200 (Tradition)
Me(Greece) 850 - 1200 (Progress) (I maxed out all my troop cap buildings and laid 2/3 citadels).

Inca 600 - 500 - Vassal of Rome
Byzantium 200 - 200 Vassal of Babylon

Authority has over 3 to 3.5 times as many troops as Progress. Also, Rome and Persia were still ahead of me in techs until I entered the industrial age.

Update
4 turns later Rome started a war with an armada of a carpet of ships. I took out quite few firing from the land and buying ships but her navy never stopped adding more ships. Rome took my first coastal city in 8 turns. (Rome could have taken it earlier but stopped bombarding the city so hard when it could have easily taken it).
I think I made a mistake also... While I was buying ships. Persia has now upgraded her army so now they have superior troops at my borders when she will inevitably attack again in the next few turns. I probably should have left Rome to take my coastal cities. Fortified my land borders and tried to recapture my coastal cities later...

-
City States
Going into the Industrial era less than half the city states remained. The AI really goes after them if they are allied to me. An incessant bombardment then takes them fairly quickly.

Last edited:
Hello folk of the forum.

I was looking for a bit of an opinion and advice. I play on immortal (only recently) and normally play on random personalities (to make a playthrough feel fresh).

I randomly rolled Korea (Again) on the communitas map. Sweden were so close we found each other on the 2nd turn. I had only one area to found a city, unless I forward settled Sweden. (Sweden's military bonuses are so strong from the start). Anyway, I played it the best I could knowing they would forward settle me and say we have contested borders and attack me. Sure enough they did and I died. I could have focused on Iron working & steel but that would have left me so far behind on resource management, I don’t think I could have won.

Just wondering do folk here generally give up and reroll a start if they feel they will be crushed or is it viable to go full warmonger and try to take on Sweden at your doorstep with Korea? With the mind frame of playing peaceful after that and trying to win the space race?

The same thing happened but in moderation. Persia(Authority) was close and Darius rolled out their UU, immortals but I had my UU, Hoplites (hoplites are better than immortals and their UA to create GG is more powerful than I’d thought. Basically, I was able to hold his army back while setting down a couple of strategic citadels and raise my troop cap.

Later all my diplomacy played off with Babylon. (thanks Recursive!!). Babylon who was also at mine and Persia's border wanted a defensive pact! It felt so satisfying and dynamic. I thought I had a chance and began exploring the ocean. THEN freaking Rome we’re just 10 tiles away over a narrow sea and having already vassalized the Incas. Rome is never to be trusted. I'm over my military supply by 2 but I have to build more ships. It will really mess up my production and growth penalty. Rome has already many ships at my border.

Now that I'll surely be stuck between a land war and sea war, I find that I have not enough troops. Does authority give too many troops?? Here are some numbers. The menu that pops telling you of different lists in the world gave information on troop size at two different times in the game.

Me(Greece) 850 - 1200 (Progress) (I maxed out all my troop cap buildings and laid 2/3 citadels).

Authority has over 3 to 3.5 times as many troops as Progress. Also, Rome and Persia were still ahead of me in techs until I entered the industrial age.

Update
4 turns later Rome started a war with an armada of a carpet of ships. I took out quite few firing from the land and buying ships but her navy never stopped adding more ships. Rome took my first coastal city in 8 turns. (Rome could have taken it earlier but stopped bombarding the city so hard when it could have easily taken it).
I think I made a mistake also... While I was buying ships. Persia has now upgraded her army so now they have superior troops at my borders when she will inevitably attack again in the next few turns. I probably should have left Rome to take my coastal cities. Fortified my land borders and tried to recapture my coastal cities later...

-
City States
Going into the Industrial era less than half the city states remained. The AI really goes after them if they are allied to me. An incessant bombardment then takes them fairly quickly.

I wouldn't be happy with that Korea start, either, but you can turn it into a plus by taking out Sweden, exactly the way you mentioned but didn't do: going for swords and catapults. Those will turn into well-promoted hwachas and you'll be set for a peaceful defensive posture for the rest of the game. With Sweden's conquered resources, you should have aenough assets to claw your way back into the mix vor a victory by the late game. This is Korea's natural path, anyway. But back to Sweden: it tsakes a complete commitment to wipe him out.

I wouldn't trust those numbers, but Immortal-level AI production + Authority provides a big numerical edge. Not one that should have you sinking in the Renaissance, though. With Babylon as an ally, you shouldn't need a huge army, and be able to build enough ships to hold off mid-game Rome. It could be that you're over-invested in holding off Persia.

At the risk of reading too much into your post, it seems that you're a little intimidated by full-scale war at a new, tougher level. Playing on Immortal, and sometimes on Emperor, you have to learn how to deliver a punch that hurts, even if you're playing a "peaceful" game. Stalker0 has had some recent posts on playing at Deity, where he talks about never-ending waves of AI. He won his share, and if I recall, never or rarely went Authority.

Hello folk of the forum.

Update

-
City States

Early game room:
I play with low sea for more room and restart if Im too close to opponent, it just leads to either AI or me forward settle and/or citadel with a rush which feels meh for me.

Supply:
No you dont get any direct supply bonus as authority, the AI gets 30% bonus supply on immortal according to the wiki.
Babylon surely looks a bit low considering he Vassaled Byzantium.
Hard to say exactly whats going on without looking at:
Wonders, who built great wall and Terracotta?
Religion, hero worship boosts generals which means potentially more supply.
Generals and admirals, how many were spend on citadels and lux? hard to say about the AI.
Rome captures all buildings so a winning war as Rome is a rocket train on fire.

My guess
I assume the supply numbers you reference to is affected by combat strength and if its the same rules as goes by bullying CS then melee pumps that value a LOT more than ranged units.
Most of those AI's tend to go very heavy on melee, especially Rome, Persia and Iroquois.
It would make sense for Babylon to pump a strong ranged UU and that doesnt make as much impact on supply. (same with Inca)
Same goes for you, you likely have a decent amount of ranged and siege units.
Roman Legion are VERY strong for its era, IS a melee unit, they need enough iron but I guess Rome was lucky here?
Darius, UU is melee and free of strategic resource cost.
You can get a similar spike from Iroquois when Mohawk gets online.

There is a pretty big difference between good starts and bad one, maybe up to a full difficulty level. I don't think any starts are truly unwinable but some are certainly a lot harder than others. And part of that is that some strats are stronger than others. If you know there isn't room to expand you pretty much have to take honour and fight. Sure Sweden have buffs but you can build up to do a timing attack on them. Honour doesn't require an early aggressive war, attacking with muskets is fine.

Terracotta gives you a lot of extra supply, and the AI doesn't like it at all, so you can get it pretty much every game and it is very powerful if you are fighting a lot and more powerful on high levels.

I wouldn't be happy with that Korea start, either, but you can turn it into a plus by taking out Sweden, exactly the way you mentioned but didn't do: going for swords and catapults. Those will turn into well-promoted hwachas and you'll be set for a peaceful defensive posture for the rest of the game. With Sweden's conquered resources, you should have aenough assets to claw your way back into the mix vor a victory by the late game. This is Korea's natural path, anyway. But back to Sweden: it tsakes a complete commitment to wipe him out.

I wouldn't trust those numbers, but Immortal-level AI production + Authority provides a big numerical edge. Not one that should have you sinking in the Renaissance, though. With Babylon as an ally, you shouldn't need a huge army, and be able to build enough ships to hold off mid-game Rome. It could be that you're over-invested in holding off Persia.

At the risk of reading too much into your post, it seems that you're a little intimidated by full-scale war at a new, tougher level. Playing on Immortal, and sometimes on Emperor, you have to learn how to deliver a punch that hurts, even if you're playing a "peaceful" game. Stalker0 has had some recent posts on playing at Deity, where he talks about never-ending waves of AI. He won his share, and if I recall, never or rarely went Authority.
You are indeed right 2506. I did over invest in holding of Persia. The reason being was that Babylon had a defensive pact with Persia first and they joint warred me a couple of times. Babylon took Byzantium (Theodora wared terribly) she was my friend so now I had to protect on multiple fronts.

On the diplomacy side, I was very careful not to upset Bablyon. Only defended against his attacks. Never took a civilian etc in the hope Persia would piss them off. This paid off and I eventually got a defensive pact with Babylon but by that stage I had already recruited enough troops to hold off Babylon and Persia leaving nothing in reserve. My plan was to get the Brandenburg Gate to get the 10x military supply but as I was building it Rome DOW. In retrospect, I should have built the ships - took the hit on production for a while - then had my military supply stabilised by the Brandenburg Gate. Or, as you said, just not over invested in troops in the first place :)

Yeah for sure, I'm not feeling too confident with this mass amount of troops. I'm not sure when to Punch. Especially when trying to take a city.

Last edited:
Early game room:
I play with low sea for more room and restart if Im too close to opponent, it just leads to either AI or me forward settle and/or citadel with a rush which feels meh for me.

Supply:
No you dont get any direct supply bonus as authority, the AI gets 30% bonus supply on immortal according to the wiki.
Babylon surely looks a bit low considering he Vassaled Byzantium.
Hard to say exactly whats going on without looking at:
Wonders, who built great wall and Terracotta?
Religion, hero worship boosts generals which means potentially more supply.
Generals and admirals, how many were spend on citadels and lux? hard to say about the AI.
Rome captures all buildings so a winning war as Rome is a rocket train on fire.

My guess
I assume the supply numbers you reference to is affected by combat strength and if its the same rules as goes by bullying CS then melee pumps that value a LOT more than ranged units.
Most of those AI's tend to go very heavy on melee, especially Rome, Persia and Iroquois.
It would make sense for Babylon to pump a strong ranged UU and that doesnt make as much impact on supply. (same with Inca)
Same goes for you, you likely have a decent amount of ranged and siege units.
Roman Legion are VERY strong for its era, IS a melee unit, they need enough iron but I guess Rome was lucky here?
Darius, UU is melee and free of strategic resource cost.
You can get a similar spike from Iroquois when Mohawk gets online.
I also feel a little disheartened with a 'hard' start. I try to play it out though and see how it goes. I find the challenge of the game that bit more exciting but this is coupled with an inevitable feeling of... I know this will end bad! I gotta Git Gud, Andersw!! ;)

So that's very interesting - AI gets 30% bonus supply on immortal according to the wiki. I had totally forgotten to consult the wiki. I didn't realise troop supply would also increase in higher levels. Doh. Even with just this information you have helped me enjoy my next more as I now know what I'm actually up against and not being so confused about the numbers!

Babylon looks low because we had just warred against Persia. Persia built the Great Wall and Terracotta. Rome took hero worship.

Hmmm interesting too about what you say about Combat Strength being affected by ranged vs melee units. I didn't realise this. I did have quite a lot of tactically placed ranged units...

Hello folk of the forum.

Update

-
City States
I took the step up from Emperor to Immortal recently and in my experience nothing has served me better than flexibility; starting a game with a mindset that i'm playing Babylon so i'll play progress/artistry/rationalism regardless of my surroundings and the Ai neighbors screws even the easiest starts.
Imo i don't think any of the starts you mentioned are unwinnable per se but it's the mindset that is holding you back from adapting and playing that Korea start optimally i.e. You are not going to be able to hold Sweden back at least in the early game as a Tradition Korea unless the terrain heavily favors the defender so the better play IMO is to start Authority and try to cripple/eliminate Sweden and turtle for a SV ..... Sure going authority instead of tradition feels bad and slows your GP generation but it sure is better than losing the game in classical era.
The other game feels like dealing with an overseas runaway on one hand and a missed opportunity on your continent the other hand; Authority Rome is truely terrifying once they start gaining cities and fighting a naval war in the Renaissance without having a pre-existing navy is a terrible situation to be in especially with the supply issue you mentioned but i don't think it's a lost cause for a couple of reasons:
  • Losing a city to Rome (especially if it can be retaken from land -you did not mention any embarked forces) is not the end of the world; you get to keep all the buildings and some extra land aswell if you managed to take it back.
  • If you are at your supply limit and it's mostly land units you can push against Persia ,secure a Vassal yourself and deal with Rome later.
Retrospectively speaking ideally securing a vassal as early as possible or securing your borders by crippling your neighbors even it means delaying development for a while pays off big time and makes the game way easier on the long run.
If you have the initial Autosave for the Korea game i'm interested in playing it myself (Korea and Venice are pretty much the only civ i have never tried).

I took the step up from Emperor to Immortal recently and in my experience nothing has served me better than flexibility; starting a game with a mindset that i'm playing Babylon so i'll play progress/artistry/rationalism regardless of my surroundings and the Ai neighbors screws even the easiest starts.
Imo i don't think any of the starts you mentioned are unwinnable per se but it's the mindset that is holding you back from adapting and playing that Korea start optimally i.e. You are not going to be able to hold Sweden back at least in the early game as a Tradition Korea unless the terrain heavily favors the defender so the better play IMO is to start Authority and try to cripple/eliminate Sweden and turtle for a SV ..... Sure going authority instead of tradition feels bad and slows your GP generation but it sure is better than losing the game in classical era.
The other game feels like dealing with an overseas runaway on one hand and a missed opportunity on your continent the other hand; Authority Rome is truely terrifying once they start gaining cities and fighting a naval war in the Renaissance without having a pre-existing navy is a terrible situation to be in especially with the supply issue you mentioned but i don't think it's a lost cause for a couple of reasons:
  • Losing a city to Rome (especially if it can be retaken from land -you did not mention any embarked forces) is not the end of the world; you get to keep all the buildings and some extra land aswell if you managed to take it back.
  • If you are at your supply limit and it's mostly land units you can push against Persia ,secure a Vassal yourself and deal with Rome later.
Retrospectively speaking ideally securing a vassal as early as possible or securing your borders by crippling your neighbours even it means delaying development for a while pays off big time and makes the game way easier on the long run.
If you have the initial Autosave for the Korea game I'm interested in playing it myself (Korea and Venice are pretty much the only civ i have never tried).
Being more Flexible is great advice. It could make the game more interesting and unique also.

In my game I have 7 cities overall. Rome will take my two coastal cities and seem to have a few melee units on the way... If I push against Persia to the east, I leave a big gap for Roman troops to roll into the west. I'm really enjoying the game so I'm going to play more when I get a chance. I'll try to be more flexible in troop movement also :)

Sorry to say I don't have my Korea save. When I finish a game, I normally delete the cache and save folder.

I actually like the harder starts, whether it be poor terrain in the area or being pigeon holed by the neighbors. It makes for a more adaptable game and often has some unique twists thrown into the mix throughout the eras.
Yeah, I'm enjoying the harder starts also. I had a start with Rome a while back where I was stuck in a really poor tundra placement. Once I did a bit of research I found the area was full of deer and Iron. (Excellent placement by communitas map script) Ended up having a monopoly on Iron and picking the right pantheon gave me a massive boost on tundra tiles.

My feeling when playing before when I was up against one or two authority players on my doorstep early was an I an ominous feeling that I knew how the game would go...(Overpowered too early for me to have enough defence) and I found that took away some of the fun of the early playthrough but now I'm more confident in more situations so I enjoy different aspects of all the starts.

Something weird is happening - I used GA and got 4 glass than couldn't find it in the monopolies list. I see jewelry, porcelain but no glass

Luxuries from an admiral do not contribute to monopolies, since the luxury isn't on an actual tile in the map.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom