• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Throwing in my own experience with hotfix 5 (several games): expansion seems the same as before. The amount of cities you are seeing verge on the impossible. Something being off with your setup may be the culprit, as opposed to being in over your head on Emperor.

I think I'm cursed. Kid gets well, and now a massive blizzard has clogged up my state. Hooray. Intermittent internet outages, great fun. I'll get on this once things settle down. Not gone, just crippled by infrastructure and tasks. :)
Meanwhile here in Australia it's hitting 38 degrees Celsius (100.4 Fahrenheit) plus and I be going in and out of a giant oven in the powder coating industry :lol:

I think I'm cursed. Kid gets well, and now a massive blizzard has clogged up my state. Hooray. Intermittent internet outages, great fun. I'll get on this once things settle down. Not gone, just crippled by infrastructure and tasks. :)
Gazebos are not made for bad wheather, we should have known.

Gazebos are not made for bad wheather, we should have known.

Literally had my outdoor patio gazebo collapse on me from the weight of snow overnight on Monday, wife and I made this joke many times. :)

G

Throwing in my own experience with hotfix 5 (several games): expansion seems the same as before. The amount of cities you are seeing verge on the impossible. Something being off with your setup may be the culprit, as opposed to being in over your head on Emperor.

Reinstalled from scratch and all seems fine on King. Usual performance by AIs. Maybe some leftover code or modifications from mods and/or multiple hotfixes over many different betas. I'll try Emperor soon since the game is a bit on easy side already. We are four on a medium island: the game will be decided on early industrial.

On a side note: kudos for AI again stealing the pantheon I designed the map for (Sweden/Cool temperature/Standard/Communitu/blocky with a Jade monopoly that screams Aut/Art playthrough), got Stonehenge and the turn before the first AI getting a Pantheon chose Stars and Skies. Aaaaaaargh !

Spy rigging election seems weird, description says 15% coup success, but on the coup button itself it says 0%. which is the right probability? was it changed in this patch

And also the conduct intelligence operation quest from CS seems weird, the remaining number keep changing, from 1 to 2, sometimes 0 to 1, making the quest impossible to finish

Just finished a deity game with the celts on hotfix 5. I chose Authority, fealty, and imperialism, followed by autocracy. I won a domination victory on turn 430 (epic speed). I love the fact that you can now remain friends with an AI for most of the game. Austria even asked to become my voluntary vassel after I had conquered a few civs. Nice! I left her to the final civ alive before backstabbing her.
However I do feel that there is something amiss in the tactical AI right now. There were several times when they should have killed some of my units that wandered a bit too far and found themselves surrounded by enemy units. On the next turn I could not believe they were still alive. In fact undamaged in some cases because the AI just retreated. This never used to happen, so I thought I should post here. Don't know whether it's a bug or expected behavior.

From hotfix 4 onwards, and possibly this entire Beta, I've finally found that Emperor is just a bit too challenging for me and I've dropped back to King ... which is slightly too easy. Time to git gud I guess. My biggest issue is religion founding, which is a byproduct of playing with many AI on a huge map. It just doesn't scale that well, and the AI is now good enough to land all 8 religions before I can most of the time. Considering modding to allow 9 or 10 religions, but the overall nature of religion doesn't scale well on higher difficulties and higher AI count imo, but not really something that can be fixed without some drastic change I think.

Gotta give a shoutout to this horrid natural wonder placement
Spoiler :
upload_2021-2-18_19-14-11.png

And to this AI player with their atrocious city placement. I would have razed and replaced if I had scouted better. Even the hill 1 tile south would have been better
Spoiler :
upload_2021-2-18_19-18-15.png

Huh? That isn't supposed to happen. Are you sure there isn't any land that can access the NW?

We have this check:
Code:
    -- Check the location is a decent city site, otherwise the wonderID is pointless
    local plot = Map.GetPlot(x, y);
    if self:Plot_GetFertilityInRange(plot, 3) < 16 then
        return false
    end

Each coast tile is 1 fertility (resources are added later), and fertility of each plot is divided by the distance from the NW before being added to the total, so there's no way it can exceed 16 fertility.

EDIT: Wait atolls are 5 fertility each and added before NWs... Guess I should just increase the threshold.

Last edited:

And to this AI player with their atrocious city placement. I would have razed and replaced if I had scouted better. Even the hill 1 tile south would have been better
I seriously don't understand what's so wrong with that city placement (also dependes on how 'imbedded' the city is into the safety of one's empire if I were to choose a hill placement or not - which can't be seen on your screenshot). The one red marking to the south seems like a really really bad alternative (poor defense against ships).

Current spot looks pretty good acctually.

Also, I sometimes even avoid coastal cities (like your second marking to the north) even if several food resources (fish, a luxury etc.) are to be found nearby, if I don't want to have trouble defending it (dependes on neighbouring AI's etc.) and don't want to build a huge navy.

Last edited:
The bad thing is that the city is 3 tiles away from the NW. You usually want to get it ASAP, but AIs don't buy tiles towards it.

I'd settle 2 tiles west from Krakow. It has 4 good tiles immediately available, and a farm triangle to the south.

Huh? That isn't supposed to happen. Are you sure there isn't any land that can access the NW?

We have this check:
Code:
    -- Check the location is a decent city site, otherwise the wonderID is pointless
    local plot = Map.GetPlot(x, y);
    if self:Plot_GetFertilityInRange(plot, 3) < 16 then
        return false
    end

Each coast tile is 1 fertility (resources are added later), and fertility of each plot is divided by the distance from the NW before being added to the total, so there's no way it can exceed 16 fertility.

EDIT: Wait atolls are 5 fertility each and added before NWs... Guess I should just increase the threshold.
Why don't we take a look at atolls, maybe asking them to be near a settle able piece of land (no mountains).

Just noting that the AI is definitely expanding more aggressively, is forward settling again, and pretty much the last 7/9 games I have gotten an immediate 2 civ double team in early medieval. The AI just loves to do a double pounce. Good luck to me on this one! :(

Spoiler :

upload_2021-2-19_1-53-30.png

... I've dropped back to King ... My biggest issue is religion founding, which is a byproduct of playing with many AI on a huge map. It just doesn't scale that well, and the AI is now good enough to land all 8 religions before I can most of the time.
I like religions, and usually building Monument -> Stonehenge on King secures a good pantheon and a religion (free pantheon, shrine and council, plus some culture and engineer points!). Not sure whether that would work on a huge map / with many AIs ( >8) though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom