New Beta Version - December 20th (12/20)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after several games in the last version and one in this one, I've come down firmly against the new Skirmisher line. I really dislike them; they have most of the strength of the old ones, with the added downside of making it feel completely impossible to hold on rough terrain. It doesn't seem to matter what unit I put on rough terrain, the AI will be able to do enough damage with Skirmishers to either immediately kill the unit or force it to retreat, and there's no good answer to them if they have open terrain to retreat to anywhere nearby. Trying to attack a civ with Skirmishers near their roads is painfully Sisyphean; trying to defend using your hills that are surrounded by plains is similarly frustrating. They absolutely annihilate anything that doesn't have Cover, and do a lot of damage even to units that do, using ranged naval units anywhere near the coast is out of the question, because it will just get deleted by a Skirmisher or two.

I was originally in favor of this change as I thought it would let the unit be tactically powerful, but I don't feel like that is what's happening. They feel even more imbalanced than they did before we started this Skirmisher shake-up a few patches ago.

I'm going to give my next game a run with Pineappledan's Unit Tweaks mod to see if I see like that version of the units any better.
You will enjoy - I've been using PDan's unit tweaks since the beginning with great pleasure. The Formation changes are legit as well; I can't recall ever picking that promotion for my units, but now it's my default going Formation II on all my (non-sword) melee.

I have nothing but love for VP and all involved, but it took me one game to realize this new mounted ranged isn't for me. Why are terrain specific variables being thrown onto a single mounted line, when we don't have general defensive terrain bonus for any mounted (I understand for gameplay, but it makes little sense to say my horses, aside from chariots, have no advantage on high ground, while simultaneously slapping some negative modifier on my ranged cavalry because they're on a hill)?

Supreme Glorious Leader will not be indoctrinated! :nono:

Is this a bug? got 2 friends as germany, but no +6 science (I am getting the golden age pts)

Is this a bug? got 2 friends as germany, but no +6 science (I am getting the golden age pts)
It doesn't look like you're getting the Golden Age Points as there should be a timer active in the top panel if the sum is positive...so if you're saying that you have 2 City State friends (not major civilizations with Declarations of Friendship) then kindly report to GitHub.

Just as an FYI to everyone, the latest hotfix (due to some merge errors) undoes many of my diplomacy changes. Working on getting this fixed.

When fixed, it will not be savegame compatible with the -2 hotfix.

Ignore the above message, see below for explanation.

Last edited:
Hey all,

Happy holidays! New beta inbound. (Yes I know 12-20; I had it ready last night but my internet died.)

Code:
[...]

Workers Faculties
                Receive 5 free factories immediately
            People's Army
                Now grants 5 free academies, public schools generate +5c/+2h (was +3/+1)
            Academy of Sciences
                Now grants 5 free laboratories, labs generate +5 science (was +0)

[...]

Scaling with mapsize, I suppose? :mischief:

To the order change:
While I like the increased yields for improvements and the reduced maintenance cost for buildings I dislike the free building ideas.
Its so uncreative, so late in the game you already are able to rush the few comming buildings. Especially in the first 5 cities, which are in most cases the already best developed.
Except some saved hammers and money, does this really help? I don't think so.

To Germany:
I was hoping for more diplomatic power by reducing the ratio for votes from CS from 3 to 2. And something that helps in achieving the alliance status with CS, like a cost decrease for civilian units by half the Hanse modifier. An immunity for sanctions for trade routes would fit too. For that, you could throw away that yields. I would prefer utility UA than pure yields.

Solar plant:
Looks for me crappy.
If your bond in producing units cause of endless wars, when do you want to use that processes? Not even that, it's also the one with the lowest modifier, and I don't see a reason why.

Just as an FYI to everyone, the latest hotfix (due to some merge errors) undoes many of my diplomacy changes. Working on getting this fixed.

I don’t think it does. I have the latest pull in my local repo

G

Is this why DIPLO_AI_NO_VICTORY_COMPETITION is no longer available in CoreChanges.sql (or anywhere else for that matter)?

I don’t think it does. I have the latest pull in my local repo

G

After taking a closer look at the repository using WinMerge, the DLL seems fine and the deletions seem to be all fixes to merge errors (I mistook deleted duplicate code as being a reversion of changes, but it turns out the fixed merge error had a very large amount of duplicate code - ~3,000 ish changes)

A few of the SQL files were deleted, however, so I'll send a pull request to restore those to the repository.
Sorry for being unnecessarily alarmist, everyone. :)

To correct my previous statement, 12-20-2 will be compatible with any hotfix that is posted, and you can start playing right away.

However, to play with the full extent of my diplomacy changes (and a number of diplomacy changes from before I came along, too), insert the following attached files into the Community Patch > Core Files > Core Changes folder. The current posted version does not have the correct diplo values for a number of things.

Savegame compatible. Happy holidays, all!

UPDATE: Don't bother doing this yet as there is an issue with the changes in the files; fix is incoming.

Attachments

• MissingFiles.zip
    4.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Ah, DIPLO_AI_NO_VICTORY_COMPETITION was moved to a new file that was missing. Got it, thanks!

Ah, DIPLO_AI_NO_VICTORY_COMPETITION was moved to a new file that was missing. Got it, thanks!

I'm happy to hear that some people do use and enjoy it, I hadn't heard much feedback about it. :)

I'm happy to hear that some people do use and enjoy it, I hadn't heard much feedback about it. :)

Oh I definitely like it; it always bothered me how my long term friends would suddenly hate me just because the era changed and I was doing well. Then again, I'm not the most competitive player who is looking for the greatest possible challenge.

There's actually an issue with the new files - it looks like the changes made there are not actually being added to the game; trying to get this fixed ATM.

Wtf are you doing Recursive... take it easy man, it's Christmas!

I just had some fun one-shotting a newly settled coastal city with a quinquireme in the very early game.

I shall...but I wanted to get my edits in before Christmas. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom