1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Beta Version - November 9th (11-9)

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Gazebo, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Again, would love an example. Can you show us how the math works that turned 10% into 16.48%.

vyyt likes this.
  2. pineappledan

pineappledan Warlord

Just installed the mod. I can't find GAMEEVENT_ConquerorValidBuilding.

Can you say what file it's in? If I am understanding this correctly, I need to list all the buildings Rome shouldn't be able to capture in a lua table? Does this lua trigger once at game startup, every time a city is conquered by anyone, or just by Rome?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  3. chicorbeef

chicorbeef Warlord

This is the explanation that G gave me in Github:
    If you look in the civilopedia the Shock flank attack is indeed +3%.

4. nekokon

nekokon Chieftain

I'm not sure if the new flanking mechanic a good choice design wise. What's the purpose of this change (except for being a bit more realistic) ?
    The old flanking favors good maneuver (when attacking) and strategic unit placement (when defending) which would work even with a smaller number of units, while the new flanking simply favors more units to fill in the blank rank formation style to avoid being exposed. The main battlefield would simply become a slug fest because of the lack of bonus dmg, and flank attack would only be useful when sniping lone unit. Shock promotions are completely useless for infantry units now.

vyyt likes this.
  5. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch

The civilopedia automatically adds %, in reality it is just 3 added on to the base define of 5. I think @Infixo added all that stuff to the civpedia, it doesn't check what a value does it just outputs table entries.

G

6. Gazebo

It is in CvLuaCity - it isn't a lua function, but rather a game event hook - you'd need to set up a hook and, if the three values (player, cityID, and builidngID) are all valid, it blocks the building from being conquered by Rome.

Others like @Enginseer can explain lua hooks better than I.

G

7. Gazebo

It benefits the AI, and closes a weird loophole in which you got a flanking bonus for attacking players when they weren't technically flanked. Made alpha strikes far stronger.

G

8. ElliotS

ElliotS Warmonger

Did you remove the Mongol specific cooldown?

9. HorseshoeHermit

HorseshoeHermit 20% accurate as usual, Morty

Okay, so, the flanking modifier is now defined in absolute terms. Semantics aren't different, just the interface from the modding side - co-ordination of GC.flanking and the promotions has to be done manually. Okay. It's now a bonus- a "Bonus Per Adjacent Friend". It's the same kind of thing as the GC define.

You've asked about tuning the numbers. Seeing the formula, the number is just 2.5% per promotion which was originally "25% of flanking bonus", since the GC define was 10. Nerfing flanking to 5, the number should be 1.25%. Buffing the flanking promotions separately, well... how strong is it supposed to be to have flanking training? It should be some nice round eighth of a ten. 16.48 does not look right, it don't matter the balance.

I'm guessing now the flanking loophole was any situation of surrounding a hex, but the attacker is in an ambuscade of their own. Formerly, these would give both flanking bonus to attacker and defender, which of course magnifies the base strength disparities of the combatants. Now with a single-payout function, inferior units can improve their situation by reducing multipliers applied to the stronger CS value. I don't know if any of this addresses alpha strikes... a moment where a melee crushes, takes ground, and then flanks into several strong slams is still going to happen.

And dear God, do I want to know why this function is a member of CvPlot ? Saxony lemons, that's gross.

10. pineappledan

pineappledan Warlord

Hm... still having trouble locating it, but it's late. Doesn't look too hard, but if I need help then hopefully I can ask nicely :D

11. ryanmusante

ryanmusante Regular Supporter

These are only backups (*.bak) and not needed, right?
    Code:
    Delete 12.3kB /home/ryan/Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS/(3) CSD for CBP/Promotions/Promotions.xml.bak
    Delete 4.1kB /home/ryan/Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS/(3) CSD for CBP/Improvements/ImprovementText.xml.bak
    Delete 8.2kB /home/ryan/Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS/(3) CSD for CBP/DLL/AddDefines.sql.bak
    Delete 24.6kB /home/ryan/Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS/(3) CSD for CBP/World Congress/IdeologyChanges.sql.bak
    Delete 4.1kB /home/ryan/Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS/(3) CSD for CBP/Units/UnitAI.xml.bak

Same for EUI (*.bak)?
    Code:
    Delete 45.1kB /home/ryan/.oldsteam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization V/Assets/DLC/UI_bc1/LeaderHead/LeaderHeadRoot.lua.bak
    Delete 36.9kB /home/ryan/.oldsteam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization V/Assets/DLC/UI_bc1/CityView/CityView.xml.bak
    Delete 36.9kB /home/ryan/.oldsteam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization V/Assets/DLC/UI_bc1/CityView/CityView_small.xml.bak
    Delete 8.2kB /home/ryan/.oldsteam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization V/Assets/DLC/UI_bc1/Core/EUI_context.lua.bak
    Delete 65.5kB /home/ryan/.oldsteam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization V/Assets/DLC/UI_bc1/CityBanners/CityBannerManager.lua.bak
    Delete 20.5kB /home/ryan/.oldsteam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization V/Assets/DLC/UI_bc1/CityBanners/CityBannerManager.xml.bak
    Delete 41kB /home/ryan/.oldsteam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization V/Assets/DLC/UI_bc1/UnitFlagManager/UnitFlagManager.lua.bak
    Delete 12.3kB /home/ryan/.oldsteam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization V/Assets/DLC/UI_bc1/UnitFlagManager/UnitFlagManager.xml.bak
    Delete 41kB /home/ryan/.oldsteam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization V/Assets/DLC/UI_bc1/Improvements/WorldView.lua.bak
    Delete 73.7kB /home/ryan/.oldsteam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization V/Assets/DLC/UI_bc1/NotificationPanel/NotificationPanel.lua.bak
    Delete 118.8kB /home/ryan/.oldsteam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization V/Assets/DLC/UI_bc1/NotificationPanel/NotificationPanel.xml.bak
    Delete 20.5kB /home/ryan/.oldsteam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization V/Assets/DLC/UI_bc1/UnitPanel/UnitPanel.xml.bak
    Delete 20.5kB /home/ryan/.oldsteam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization V/Assets/DLC/UI_bc1/UnitPanel/UnitPanel_small.xml.bak
    Delete 8.2kB /home/ryan/.oldsteam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization V/Assets/DLC/UI_bc1/PlotHelp/PlotHelpManager.xml.bak
    Delete 16.4kB /home/ryan/.oldsteam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization V/Assets/DLC/UI_bc1/TopPanel/TopPanel.xml.bak

12. ilteroi

ilteroi Chieftain

missing from the changelog:
    • units with noDefensiveBonus flag still profit from forts & citadels
    • walls etc don't count against units with ignoreBuildingDefense flag. default promotions on cannon etc should have been changed to compensate this

Gokudo01, CppMaster and saamohod like this.
  13. CppMaster

CppMaster Chieftain

I still don't get that new flanking system. Could someone make a guide with examples on images and comparison to the old system? That would be really helpful.

vyyt likes this.
  14. SpankmyMetroid

SpankmyMetroid Chieftain

"Randomness" issues from the last beta that was on Github is being persistant.
    Spoiler :
    20181110035837_1.jpg

There were actually a number of topics removed without being resolved. It would be nice if at least a reason was given (like addressed in next version), otherwise it seems like we're uploading bugs for nothing :confused:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    saamohod likes this.
  15. ilteroi

ilteroi Chieftain

easy. the old code was plain broken. didn't work and wasn't aligned with what the combat preview was showing.

now the new system: count the number of friendly units around the defender. subtract the number of enemy units around the attacker. multiply by your flankimg bonus (base + promotions). if positive the attacker gets the bonus. if negative the defender gets the bonus. like before this applies to melee combat only.

Skidizzle, Galbias, Bromar1 and 9 others like this.
  16. saamohod

saamohod Chieftain

How comes the bonus versus barbarians is 63% according to combat widow, while the promotions itself says it is 33%?

20181110125304_1.jpg

17. saamohod

saamohod Chieftain

This issue is still there. When I started a game the icon was ok, but when I exited and loaded the save, I got the "ICON_CITIZEN" thing.

18. YukiN

YukiN Chieftain

Probably getting +30% from difficulty modifier.

phantomaxl1207, vyyt and saamohod like this.
  19. matlajs

matlajs Chieftain

That yields on CS capture work just for a first time of capture of that particular CS?

20. tu_79

tu_79 Warlord

So now it wad s.