[GS] New City States

There are 15 new improvements in GS. 3 of those may or may not be unique improvements of new civs. 6 of those are revealed (railroad, tunnel, wind turbine, solar thermal plant, geothermal plant, Moai). There are also the ski resort and flood barrier, which we can't be certain they are improvements or not yet.

That leaves at least 4 improvements unaccounted for. I think it's not unlikely one of them turns out to be Burial Mound unique to suzerains of Cahokia.

(Unrelated to city states: one other improvements could be some facility for carbon sequestration, as a way of "recapturing carbon emissions" were mentioned in official announcement.)

There are 15 new improvements in GS. 3 of those may or may not be unique improvements of new civs. 6 of those are revealed (railroad, tunnel, wind turbine, solar thermal plant, geothermal plant, Moai). There are also the ski resort and flood barrier, which we can't be certain they are improvements or not yet.

That leaves at least 4 improvements unaccounted for. I think it's not unlikely one of them turns out to be Burial Mound unique to suzerains of Cahokia.

Sarah confirmed that the 15 include uniques.

I don't think so. The building bonuses from science city states don't get increased through the Rationalism card, for example.

Oy I completely forgot about the change to make them buildings for 2nd/3rd tier that happened.

I wonder if the one in the capital still counts as an adjacency bonus? I'll have to check. That could be some crazy shipyard production in the capital if so.

So Ngazargamu replaces Carthage and both of the cities are in Africa and Bologna replaces Stockholm and both of them are in Europe.
Does that mean Toronto might get a North American replacement? The only one I could think of is Mexico City unless they would go to another Central America or Caribbean city.

So Ngazargamu replaces Carthage and both of the cities are in Africa and Bologna replaces Stockholm and both of them are in Europe.
Does that mean Toronto might get a North American replacement? The only one I could think of is Mexico City unless they would go to another Central America or Caribbean city.
I don't know if civ considers the Americas to be one continent or not, but South America has quite some potential "industrial" city states as well.

Cahokia was mentioned before. Also of note is that since we've seen 3 new CS, and will likely only drop 2 that need replacement, that means there's a good chance we might have a whole new set of them. Although interesting that it wasn't listed on the new content, unless if "2 new city sets" actually meant "2 new city states" or something like that.

Cahokia was mentioned before. Also of note is that since we've seen 3 new CS, and will likely only drop 2 that need replacement, that means there's a good chance we might have a whole new set of them. Although interesting that it wasn't listed on the new content, unless if "2 new city sets" actually meant "2 new city states" or something like that.
We've seen 4 though and we are probably are getting a new set because we have two new science.
Rapa Nui (Cultural), Bologna (Stockholm Replacement), Fez(Scientific), and now Ngazargamu (Carthage Replacement).
And yes I'm betting that Cahokia will be the new religious one.
City sets probably just means new city architecture and we've already seen the Maori get one of them.

We've seen 4 though and we are probably are getting a new set because we have two new science.
Rapa Nui (Cultural), Bologna (Stockholm Replacement), Fez(Scientific), and now Ngazargamu (Carthage Replacement).
And yes I'm betting that Cahokia will be the new religious one.
City sets probably just means new city architecture and we've already seen the Maori get one of them.

Cahokia could be industrious if they just have it replace Toronto as the "NA industrious" category. But just have to wait for it to show up in a live stream or first look.

But my other comment was just saying that it's curious that if there are new city-states, they didn't mention them. They list exactly how many new units, unique improvements, techs, etc... Unless if they didn't want to list "9 new city-states (but only really 6 new city-states because 3 of the new ones replace 3 of the ones currently in the game)"

Cahokia could be trade too. It was the nexus of a trade network that spanned the Mississippi drainage basin (half of North America).

Cahokia could be industrious if they just have it replace Toronto as the "NA industrious" category. But just have to wait for it to show up in a live stream or first look.

But my other comment was just saying that it's curious that if there are new city-states, they didn't mention them. They list exactly how many new units, unique improvements, techs, etc... Unless if they didn't want to list "9 new city-states (but only really 6 new city-states because 3 of the new ones replace 3 of the ones currently in the game)"
It could be industrial, but the mound improvement makes me believe it will be religious. That or the mounds could provide production as well as faith which would be interesting.
As for not mentioning how many new city-states that might give away possible new Civs, since technically there are 9 new ones.
The Vikings DLC was the only one that ever mentioned how many city-states we would get but there weren't any Civs coming in that to begin with.

I'll bet that Lhasa is the new religious CS. They've made it in before as a CS, so it can happen again. It's pretty ideal for a religious CS, you have to admit. Perhaps this is even more likely as well, since they cannot add Tibet as a full, playable civ, in order to be sold in China (huge market there, and China is not afraid to ban games it doesn't like for political reasons ~ and of you find a way to get it anyway, you lose social points on your public record for doing so...no joke), yet they may have wanted their inclusion despite that, so a CS is a nice compromise that I think would make most people happy, or at least most people would be cool with it.

Any chance for Vatican City to return as a religious city-state again? and now with diplomacy and world congress...

I really like city-states that give unique improvements, although I find them weak and hardly ever use them, I think them thematically interesting. I would like to have Tiwanaku that grants the improvement "gate of the sun", or some Andean city-state that grants the improvement "Nazca lines".

Cahokia could be a new religious c-s too, there's always this possibility.
What about commercial? Cahokia was a center of trade. There just seems to be some more likely options for a religious CS than Cahokia (not that it wasn't religious). I don't see Cahokia as a militaristic CS either, so commercial seems like the most likely to me.

Also of note is that since we've seen 3 new CS, and will likely only drop 2 that need replacement, that means there's a good chance we might have a whole new set of them. Although interesting that it wasn't listed on the new content,

But my other comment was just saying that it's curious that if there are new city-states, they didn't mention them. They list exactly how many new units, unique improvements, techs, etc... Unless if they didn't want to list "9 new city-states (but only really 6 new city-states because 3 of the new ones
It does seem we may be getting more city states. I'm wondering if they're working on a new type, perhaps related to the diplo victory, but they weren't sure if it would actually work well so they didn't want to say anything definite related to city states.

Top Bottom