1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Cityset Model Created - Conversion to .nif and texture help needed

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Graphics Modpacks' started by Matsuda123, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Matsuda123

Matsuda123 Chieftain

Ok. :) I will do that. Thank you. How do I send you the files? I was also wondering, can you teach me how to do this is as well? If you don't want to, that is alright as well.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  2. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

It really is nice to see that there is still a community for this game...

I look forward to these cities...city graphics really add alot to the game I have found.

3. hrochland

hrochland Prince

I look, another look and maybe another server too. As I write the answer, I see below the window "Upload File" button. Try this.

4. Matsuda123

Matsuda123 Chieftain

Yes, that is very true. I get rid of all other improvement building graphics except for wonders, walls, harbors, lighthouses, and unique buildings. It really cleans up the look of the game, makes it much less crowded and emphasizes the city. And we desperately need Industrial ages in other civs, so I'm making that.

Do you have a gmail? I can share it with you in a private message on Google Drive. The upload file button does not allow for .obj and .nifs...

5. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

Well in my mod the city improvements are also flavored. The one type of improvement I think should be invisible is religious buildings, a buddist pagoda in an aztec city really looks out of place. With the Christian buildings I managed to flavor them, and the buildings do look nice when they match the culture they are relate to, but otherwise they are an eyesore...

6. Matsuda123

Matsuda123 Chieftain

I tried that for a while, but it still seemed too cluttered for my tastes... Religious buildings are the other ones I do keep exposed, except for the monastery. I think I will make smaller temples that are flavored too for all the cultures and religions, so they don't look out of place and take up too much room.

7. hrochland

hrochland Prince

But you can use upload here for .7zip

8. Matsuda123

Matsuda123 Chieftain

Here they are. :)

Attached Files:

9. hrochland

hrochland Prince

downloaded :)

10. Matsuda123

Matsuda123 Chieftain

Awesome. The only thing that worries me is the Sino Classical set. Not all of the edges are joined together properly, I could't figure out how to fix it...

11. hrochland

hrochland Prince

generally perceived as counterproductive to make a cityset at once. I took my first cityset, which I use in my mod. Here I kept 1x1_01 he is the same. I was unable to import your cityset with nodes. In Blender I modified your own 1x1_02 and added a texture layer. I send in rar sino.NIF with 2 valid buildings and texture. You paint the texture, I will prepare 1x1_03. OK?

Attached Files:

12. Matsuda123

Matsuda123 Chieftain

I was not aware of that. I thought that the models were made first, then textured, then nodes added, then put into the game... I seem to be mistaken.

How exactly do you attach nodes to a set? Or, make a city set properly?

13. hrochland

hrochland Prince

I have archived finished citysets today and I exchange buildings in only. It's much easier. You can make it same with original firaxis citysets :)
    By this way you can make one new building according to your ideas, create a UV layer model, insert it into the desired Node, and modify the texture layer according to the new texture.

new building and UV layer in Blender. (in your case Maya. There you can definitely cut the new layer) Everything else NifScope.

Do you have any idea of the new texture for your new cityset? Are you trying to do it? I'll have less time in a week, but I've got five buildings ready.

14. Matsuda123

Matsuda123 Chieftain

That's what I tried to do with Maya... I exchanged my buildings with the Firaxis Asia set, but, I don't think I did it right. I think because I didn't load and save it as a .nif every time, it ruined the sets... I think I may just have to learn how to use 3dsmax or learn how to with blender, and load and save it as a .nif file every time. And remake all those sets... :/

I haven't learned how to texture yet actually... I will try to learn that soon. Don't worry about time... It'll be awhile until this is all finished. But hopefully, I can understand it all soon...

15. Matsuda123

Matsuda123 Chieftain

I guess what I'm saying is, I need to learn the process more thoroughly, and probably get a PC. Maybe my mac is the problem... Preventing me from getting the right versions of programs and plugins.

16. hrochland

hrochland Prince

Once, I've been hiding my procedure. I do not think there is any reason now. I use two versions of nifskope. One older, in my case, 0.9.6 has a feature missing from the new version. Replace NiTriShape as directly in NiNode
    It's simple and very fast.

In the new Nifskope (1.1.3) I will then modify the texture and how it fits into the UVlayer.

So you see, the biggest thing is to do the model itself :)

17. hrochland

hrochland Prince

P.S. Because Nifskope can work with .Obj, you can see that you do not need any plugin :)

18. Matsuda123

Matsuda123 Chieftain

It would be very good to know about this procedure, especially since the knowledge is mostly gone from the forums. If it is written down somewhere, it can be retained forever~

How exactly do you replace NiTriShape as the NiNode?

I think that the issue with my models, is that they are all joined together as one object. But, perhaps if i separate all the objects and shadows, maybe then the nodes can be attached to them... Maybe.

19. hrochland

hrochland Prince

I suppose you have NifScope ...
    Here is 0.9.6 version . No need install. Unpack only.
    Though, you probably will need a Mac version

WOW is problem with upload. I must find storage
    http://hrochland.valka.cz/prog/NifSkopeOLD.rar

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  20. Matsuda123

Matsuda123 Chieftain

Oh I do have it. But the Mac version might not be equipped with all I need. This version of NifScope surely will. Thank you. I will test it out today on a pc...