New civ linked to new resource

People are really tossing out some crazy stuff now, though I guess that's what happens with speculation. Soma? lol. The simpler and the more iconic, the more probably in my opinion. Remember this is linked directly to a new civilization. Are they really going to add another spice, or another dye? It doesn't seem likely to me.

They haven't mentioned Poland in association with the book. If it wasn't clear from my previous post, I was disagreeing precisely with the contention that the book is the reason they chose Poland.

It was mentioned; I didn't just come up with it out of nowhere. Perhaps I read too many forums :p :king:

People are really tossing out some crazy stuff now, though I guess that's what happens with speculation. Soma? lol. The simpler and the more iconic, the more probably in my opinion. Remember this is linked directly to a new civilization. Are they really going to add another spice, or another dye? It doesn't seem likely to me.

I agree with you on that, but my suggestion of Soma is a valid connection to the book and the game in general. I don't think it will happen but to me, Poland does not scream Brave New World at all. At least that suggestion has precedent due to literary and real-world Hindu/Zoroastrian connections. In any case, I didn't necessarily mean SOMA per se, rather some drug that is like soma (from the book). Opiates, coca.. As far as I'm concerned, seals are another fur but people insist on it.

Regardless, the suggestion was merely out of fun. I don't think they'll add drugs to the game, although I think the concept of drug wars to be fascinating with respect to CiV. If you were following the "truffles" comments, you would understand the flow of thought a little better. :king:

I agree with you on that, but my suggestion of Soma is a valid connection to the book and the game in general. I don't think it will happen but to me, Poland does not scream Brave New World at all. At least that suggestion has precedent due to literary and real-world Hindu/Zoroastrian connections. In any case, I didn't necessarily mean SOMA per se, rather some drug that is like soma (from the book). Opiates, coca.. As far as I'm concerned, seals are another fur but people insist on it.

Regardless, the suggestion was merely out of fun. I don't think they'll add drugs to the game, although I think the concept of drug wars to be fascinating with respect to CiV. If you were following the "truffles" comments, you would understand the flow of thought a little better. :king:

I know the novel, but we can be pretty certain they won't add a drug, especially in concert specifically with a particular civ. I'm also thinking about choices like tea, rice, crocodiles. They don't really work here when we think about what has been said and what we know about those items.

As much as I don't want to admit it, glass is probably the most likely one, with it pointing to Venice. Glass doesn't really point to Venice to me, but I understand why it does to some people and I have a feeling that they're right. I guess I've been convinced. Sioux is still possible, but I doubt it'll be because of a bison resource. And, as I said before, I don't really expect the Inuit for a quite a long time, mostly because the only non-legendary leaders who are good enough to represent them in the game are still alive.

What if they reworked a current Luxury Resource that was only available through CS? Porcelain, etc as something "exotic" that is typically associated with only a particular Civ.

Somehow, I am starting to not see a resource that is so obviously one civilization that it would be a dead giveaway. There have been some good suggestions, but how many resources have been suggested could be someone else?

Maybe once they announce who/what it is, it will make some sense.

I think calling it a "new" resource suggests that it's not something old. And if they added a generic resource and moved an old one to a civ-specific one, they could have revealed the old one without difficulty.

They never really said it was going to be civ-specific, only that we'd be able to guess the civilization if they gave us the resource. Meaning that it's possible for everybody to use the resource, but there's us one civilization that, when you think about it, you also think about this resource. While it is possible that Venice is in the game with a glassblower building, giving them a monopoly on the resource, the interview DID NOT hint at that at all. Think more along the lines of the atoll terrain feature added with Polynesia. Everybody in the game can use atolls, but you almost always think of Polynesia when you see the word.

Chocolate?

China and Chinese Porcelain of course.
China is even on top of the poster they showed to us, so they have surely done something to them.

Crocodiles could be an interesting addition, considering they span the globe. They can live in jungles and swamplands.

In Brave New World (the book), there is a drug called "soma," which is an allusion to a ritualistic drink used in Persia and India. I wonder if they're going to make a tie there. Considering they did Poland because of some loose connection with the book, there could be a connection with that. (¿:confused:?) :king:

I don't recall Poles in Brave New World (the book), however the Polish are in Civ V because players wanted them and they were a significant European culture, and they're in Brave New World specifically to tie into the ideology system with their policy-based UA Solidarity.

After surveying this thread, I am thinking it is more likely going to be tobacco linked with Powhatan as leader of a new North American Eastern woodlands civilization.

Top Bottom