New civ linked to new resource

Lithuania can't be in as there is Vilnius on the Polish city list... I wish people would consider all info we have before making these baseless claims all the time.

I have to wonder if instead of being a resource that is only used by one civ it might just be a pun along the lines of coffee = java = Java civ?

The other thought I had was if the world congress could be used to create a world cup type sporting event with the winner getting bonus happiness and tourism until the next event. If it is a world cup soccer(football) event that might show that Italy or Argentina will be added because I think they are the only huge soccer powers not accounted for yet.

ps. please forgive me if I missed your country as a soccer power as I don't follow it much.

That wouldn't work in a Mac OS version. ;)

Amber doesn't give away the identity of a Civ though.

90% of the world's extractable amber comes from the very small oblast of Kaliningrad (which was once the capital of East Prussia, Konigsberg). If they didn't have a German civ already, amber would certainly point to a Prussian civ.

90% of the world's extractable amber comes from the very small oblast of Kaliningrad (which was once the capital of East Prussia, Konigsberg). If they didn't have a German civ already, amber would certainly point to a Prussian civ.

It may suggest a German Civ, but it wouldn't give it away. The way it was said suggests that it would literally give away the identity of the civ, not just point us in a general direct if we were really paying attention.

Why on Earth would they add pituri?

The thought process: "Hmmm... we're adding one key resource for some reason, better making it a particular narcotic that most people have never heard of!"

It's not going to be something strange, it's not going to be something wishy washy, if it's a general resource the connection will be immediately obvious with no wiggle room. The second, and potentially more interesting option as has been pointed out is that it's a Civilization specific resource, this in and of itself could be what gives away a Civilization, but we'll have to wait and see on that one.

Tea/coffee/rice are appropriate new resources, but they don't really give any new civ away. Giveaway resources would be seals, apricots, and lapis lazuli.

Why on Earth would they add pituri?

Why are people assuming it's a general resource?

Pituri makes more sense than something like rice, coffee, seals, etc. Otherwise there would be no reason to be concerned about revealing it. A civ with it's own specific resource that no other civ can get is a more interesting game mechanic. It also makes Australia a more interesting choice for inclusion.

To be honest it really does come down to three categories:

1. Normal resource, obvious connection, but silly
- Kangaroos for Australia
- Maple for Canada

2. Normal resource, strong connection:
- Seals for Inuits

3. Special resource, Civilization specific

This last one is a bit more complicated. It could be, as some have suggested, that it is a Civilization specific resource, part of their unique ability or a power of a unique building. What's interesting about this is that the connection doesn't even need to be obvious in this case, and revealing the details about it alone would require revealing the Civilization, which is what may have been meant.

Why are people assuming it's a general resource?

Pituri makes more sense than something like rice, coffee, seals, etc. Otherwise there would be no reason to be concerned about revealing it. A civ with it's own specific resource that no other civ can get is a more interesting game mechanic. It also makes Australia a more interesting choice for inclusion.

To be honest, only a very small number of Australians would even know what pituri, and whilst it's from Australia, there really isn't a strong connection for it. They also wouldn't include a narcotic.

Tea/coffee/rice are appropriate new resources, but they don't really give any new civ away. Giveaway resources would be seals, apricots, and lapis lazuli.

Who would lapis lazuli give away, it was widely used throughout the ancient world?

This last one is a bit more complicated. It could be, as some have suggested, that it is a Civilization specific resource, part of their unique ability or a power of a unique building. What's interesting about this is that the connection doesn't even need to be obvious in this case, and revealing the details about it alone would require revealing the Civilization, which is what may have been meant.

Uh ... well, yeah. In fact, I don't really understand why people would think otherwise. A new, general resource would not reveal anything, really. At best, it would simply force speculation about a specific region rich in some arbitrary trade good (which doesn't tell us anything new, as we already know what civs--along with their geographical areas--aren't in the game yet).

I'm betting that the resource is civ-specific (tied only to them, perhaps as part of a UA, etc.); there would be no reason to be concerned about revealing it if it wasn't.

The Inuit-->Seals link is a strong likelihood ; but something like the Australia-->Pituri link is even stronger.

Uh ... well, yeah. In fact, I don't really understand why people would think otherwise. A new, general resource would not reveal anything, really. At best, it would simply force speculation about a specific region rich in some arbitrary trade good (which doesn't tell us anything new, as we already know what civs--along with their geographical areas--aren't in the game yet).

I'm betting that the resource is civ-specific (tied only to them, perhaps as part of a UA, etc.); there would be no reason to be concerned about revealing it if it wasn't.

Hence why if it wasn't like that I'd expect it to be either incredibly silly, or seals. That is:

Them: "It's Mapel!"
Us: "They added Canada haven't they... ugh..."

The Inuit-->Seals link is a strong likelihood ; but something like the Australia-->Pituri link is even stronger.

Honest question. Did you even know what pituri was, or have you just looked it up? If you've heard of it before, where? I can tell you right now, I don't know anyone who would know who it is apart from the person who told me about it, and they have specific reason to have been informed of what it is. It's interesting, but such a specific resource, and one which is basically unheard of to even Australians would be bizarre to say the least. I would honestly rule it out now as well, even if the developers knew what it was, simply because I don't see them having a narcotic as a resource when they don't even have something like Tobacco.

Top Bottom