New Civ: Romania

Italicus said:
I have already converted your mod to warlords, but there obviously was not the UB. :(

:( Yea i have seen a couplke that have been converted from the vanilla version of the civ, while they mostly stay true to my work, the UB makes no sense what so ever. Hell if i had not had some help from Mitiu Ioan I would not have had much success in finding something that was unique to Romania ( even if it was first created by the Dacians, who became the modern Romanians)

Aranor said:
Hell if i had not had some help from Mitiu Ioan I would not have had much success in finding something that was unique to Romania

Pleasure was on my side. :)

Three historical remarks, if I don't disturb anybody ...

1. The UB is not necessary this is specifically to Romania - is more correctely to say this was somekind of "feudal privillege" granted to "free villages" ( or to the "free peasant" - razeshi or moshneni - communities ). The "serf villages" ( satele de iobagi in romanian ) didn't have the right to build mills, forges or to have their own forests. They had to "buy" this services/products from their "master" ( boier in romanian ) or "supervising" monastery ( if this was the case ) - with money or, more likely, working a number of days the land of their landlords. Opposite to this - the "free villages" had the granted right ( usually from the king - voievod or domn in romanian ) to posses a "communal mills", or forges, judge some minor delicts by elder, even to trade non-agricultural products and so on. Most of this villages was founded in border-regions and, for their status, need to send soldiers ( armed by the village ) in case of war. :rolleyes:
This was a succesfull "social arrangement" for more than 2 centuries ( XIVth-XVIth ) and provided enough partially-trained soldiers to defend with some good military victories against wastly superior enemy forces ( turkish, pollish, hungarians and so on ). Unfortunatelly - starting with the begining of XVIth century the two romanians principates ruled by romanian lords ( Valachia and Moldavia ) - became the stage of internal fighting between landlords in order to impose a "friendly" king. the land and revenues of "free-villages" was a good motivation for the greed of "boier-s and their abuse. In less than a centuries most of "free peasant" was transformed to serfs and the remaining ones was forced to accept reduction of their "feudal privilleges". Despite the fact that those measure reduced the army and capacity of defense - the fear of noblemans for possible peasant uprising lead to drastically reduction of pre-existent "peasant militia". Even so, especially in western part of Walachia, there remains "traces" of old organization until the end of XIXth century ( those man formed the main part of Tudor Vladimirescu's revolutionary units in 1821 ). ;)
For that historical considerations I belive that the bonuses are pretty accurate. :)

2. I see that here is used the term "Flaxman" for old dacian warriors. This is derived/composed from their weapon ? :rolleyes:
Because I ( and probably most of romanians passioned by history :) ) am more familiar with the term "Daoi" or "Dacoi" - which means ( AFAIK ) something like "wolves-warriors" and is the term related by ancient historians to be used by dacians warriors ... :mischief:

Michael the Great is ( very ) rarely used in Romania. Insteead the "official" name is Mihai Viteazul ( Michael the Brave ). ;)

Sorry for such a long post and excuse me my bad english. :(

Regards - and, BTW, is the mod finnished ?

Mîtiu Ioan said:
Pleasure was on my side. :)

Three historical remarks, if I don't disturb anybody ...

1. The UB is not necessary this is specifically to Romania - is more correctely to say this was somekind of "feudal privillege" granted to "free villages" ( or to the "free peasant" - razeshi or moshneni - communities ). The "serf villages" ( satele de iobagi in romanian ) didn't have the right to build mills, forges or to have their own forests. They had to "buy" this services/products from their "master" ( boier in romanian ) or "supervising" monastery ( if this was the case ) - with money or, more likely, working a number of days the land of their landlords. Opposite to this - the "free villages" had the granted right ( usually from the king - voievod or domn in romanian ) to posses a "communal mills", or forges, judge some minor delicts by elder, even to trade non-agricultural products and so on. Most of this villages was founded in border-regions and, for their status, need to send soldiers ( armed by the village ) in case of war. :rolleyes:
This was a succesfull "social arrangement" for more than 2 centuries ( XIVth-XVIth ) and provided enough partially-trained soldiers to defend with some good military victories against wastly superior enemy forces ( turkish, pollish, hungarians and so on ). Unfortunatelly - starting with the begining of XVIth century the two romanians principates ruled by romanian lords ( Valachia and Moldavia ) - became the stage of internal fighting between landlords in order to impose a "friendly" king. the land and revenues of "free-villages" was a good motivation for the greed of "boier-s and their abuse. In less than a centuries most of "free peasant" was transformed to serfs and the remaining ones was forced to accept reduction of their "feudal privilleges". Despite the fact that those measure reduced the army and capacity of defense - the fear of noblemans for possible peasant uprising lead to drastically reduction of pre-existent "peasant militia". Even so, especially in western part of Walachia, there remains "traces" of old organization until the end of XIXth century ( those man formed the main part of Tudor Vladimirescu's revolutionary units in 1821 ). ;)
For that historical considerations I belive that the bonuses are pretty accurate. :)

2. I see that here is used the term "Flaxman" for old dacian warriors. This is derived/composed from their weapon ? :rolleyes:
Because I ( and probably most of romanians passioned by history :) ) am more familiar with the term "Daoi" or "Dacoi" - which means ( AFAIK ) something like "wolves-warriors" and is the term related by ancient historians to be used by dacians warriors ... :mischief:

Michael the Great is ( very ) rarely used in Romania. Insteead the "official" name is Mihai Viteazul ( Michael the Brave ). ;)

Sorry for such a long post and excuse me my bad english. :(

Regards - and, BTW, is the mod finnished ?

In the Game I have Michael the Brave's name as Mihai Viteazul. As for the Falxman, I have been doing futher research into the names the the Dacians used for their military "units" if you will. Unfortunately I flound no evidence along the line of reference to the Daoi 9 infact the only reference I found was was a refernce to wolves in general) But Falx armed warriors ( from my research) were known as Drapanai. and the standard Dacian warrior was known as a Komatai. But this is just what I have found :crazyeye:

@Mîtiu Ioan: Falxmen are however a very known term for Dacian warriors, because of the name of the weapon. Also, very few English people will know what means Dacoi or Drapanai, and the Falxman is a better decision IMO.

Oh, and Aranor, thanks for making this civ! :D

I'm having trouble downloading this new civ. The link keeps telling me its undermaintanence no matter when i try. My e-mail is crazzymonkey92@yahoo.com if u could please help me get this working. Im romanian and would really like to get my hands on this civ. =) thanks!

dealexman said:
I'm having trouble downloading this new civ. The link keeps telling me its undermaintanence no matter when i try. My e-mail is crazzymonkey92@yahoo.com if u could please help me get this working. Im romanian and would really like to get my hands on this civ. =) thanks!

check your pm:D

When will the Warlords version be available. I want to use the Romanians to beat on Mehmed II. I think that you should try to include Vlad Tepes, after all, he is the most famous (infamous) Romanian figure head. Thanks for saving me from all the hard work of creating this Civ. You Rock.

BretP said:
he is the most famous (infamous) Romanian figure head
Well, he is the most famous figure head abroad, and he is certainly not infamous. His method of impaling was widely used in Europe at the time. Turks used it all the time. In fact he was raised in Turkey (wallachia was not part of the Ottoman Empire, but there was a tribute that needed to be paid in money and children. He was one of the children), and when he came to Wallachia he became a Christian like his family and ruled his country. He has seen many victims of this method in Turkey, and he thought it might be useful to keep people under control. On that time, he didn't have things like "high-security prisons". There were few ways to convince the people. It's cruel but it happened a lot in that time. He was the only one to use it in the Wallachia, that's why he got the name "Tepes" (impaler).

BretP said:
When will the Warlords version be available. I want to use the Romanians to beat on Mehmed II. I think that you should try to include Vlad Tepes, after all, he is the most famous (infamous) Romanian figure head. Thanks for saving me from all the hard work of creating this Civ. You Rock.

At this point the warlonds version is still a ways off. But it is making some slow progress. I hit a snag with one seriously mean bug and Im trying to figure out how to fix it. It is coming along just slower than I had hoped. as for Vlad Tepes he will not be in this build but in the future I am thinking of adding him. As Mirc said in the previous post, he may be well known out side of Romania however in Romania he is considered nowhere near as influential as other leaders in their history. But he is in my mind for future releases ;)

I meant he is infamous in the sense that many people think of him as Count Dracula, which I know is not true, but he was the inspiration for Stoker. I think he is historically important because he was able to fend of the Ottoman Empire with significantly less military might.

BretP said:
I meant he is infamous in the sense that many people think of him as Count Dracula, which I know is not true, but he was the inspiration for Stoker. I think he is historically important because he was able to fend of the Ottoman Empire with significantly less military might.

Yes you are correct, so also did many other leaders of Wallachia and Moldova. the new leader I have included with this update Mihai Viteazul or Micheal the Brave succeeded in doing what no other leader before him did and united Wallachia and Moldova in the face of the Ottoman menace. The unity only lasted a short few years before he was assassinated but none the less he was probably one of the most influential characters in Romanian history and rightfully belongs in over Vlad Tepes.;)

Hi evrybody!

I am new to the forum.
I have been playing Civ since it came out in the 90'. Though I am not an expert on it. I am only playing for relaxation, in the little free time that I have.

I am more of a builder than a warrior.

I am Romanian and I am thrilled to see someone took the time to creat this mod, because it sounds very nice and I would like to try it.
There is one little problem: I can not download the mod.
Can someone please help me with this issue.

When I get to the download site the download button is disabled (grayed-out).

So please, if anyone can send the mod per E-mail, or otherwise, let me know.
Thank you very much in advance.

Salut!

Leinarius said:
Hi evrybody!

I am new to the forum.
I have been playing Civ since it came out in the 90'. Though I am not an expert on it. I am only playing for relaxation, in the little free time that I have.

I am more of a builder than a warrior.

I am Romanian and I am thrilled to see someone took the time to creat this mod, because it sounds very nice and I would like to try it.
There is one little problem: I can not download the mod.
Can someone please help me with this issue.

When I get to the download site the download button is disabled (grayed-out).

So please, if anyone can send the mod per E-mail, or otherwise, let me know.
Thank you very much in advance.

Salut!

Hi! Welcome to the forums! check the first post for an alternate Dowload site. Hope you enjoy!

And just a little update on the Warlords edition of this mod, it is on its way. Im still waiting on the artwork for 2 more units and the leaderhead and UB

Aranor said:
Hi! Welcome to the forums! check the first post for an alternate Dowload site. Hope you enjoy!

And just a little update on the Warlords edition of this mod, it is on its way. Im still waiting on the artwork for 2 more units and the leaderhead and UB

BTW, I've updated Romania in CIV Gold for Warlords. The UB is Linguistic Institute, which may not be what you'd prefer. But it's there if you want it. If you have another idea in mind, visit our Development forum and let me know.

Wyz_sub10 said:
BTW, I've updated Romania in CIV Gold for Warlords. The UB is Linguistic Institute, which may not be what you'd prefer. But it's there if you want it. If you have another idea in mind, visit our Development forum and let me know.

That sounds fine for now! :goodjob: When I have the entire update ready I will send you a copy for you to use in CivGold with the updated buildings, leaders and units. BTW I dont sppose you know of anyone who can do a leaderhead and the UB for me do you? As so far the people who have offered have turned out to be very unreliable.:(

Aranor said:
That sounds fine for now! :goodjob: When I have the entire update ready I will send you a copy for you to use in CivGold with the updated buildings, leaders and units. BTW I dont sppose you know of anyone who can do a leaderhead and the UB for me do you? As so far the people who have offered have turned out to be very unreliable.:(

I can only do LH re-skins - same for UBs. I'm learning how to do new models, but I'm not quite there yet.

ms2050 said:
Thanx for this civ. I'm from Romania and I love the civ you made.:goodjob: :thanx: :thanx: :thanx:

Glad you like it, The warlords update is still onits way, but I have another civ I am going to release first then I will dive headlong back into this civ and get it released too.:goodjob:

Top Bottom