• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

New Civilisation: Italy

Cavour Jr. said:
Anyway, I think he' s been a decent prime minister who ruled the country quite well on the whole, making a few mistakes along the way. Nothing special, Lorenzo de' Medici and Vittorio Emanuele are better choices IMHO.

As a matter of the fact we have never had a great Prime Minister at all. I mean, we haven't had a "Dante Alighieri" as politician. That's why, in my opinion, Giolitti would be a good choice.

As to the king Vittorio Emanuele II: well, he was just the king, but the architect of the unification was Cavour, and the general opinion on the whole royal family seems to be quite negative since they were not cosidered "very capable".

Throttle said:
As to the king Vittorio Emanuele II: well, he was just the king, but the architect of the unification was Cavour, and the general opinion on the whole royal family seems to be quite negative since they were not cosidered "very capable".

I agree about Cavour of course (where d' ya think my nickname comes from ? :D ), he basically created Italy from scratch thanks to his wonderful diplomatic skills... trouble is, he' s been our prime minister for just a few months before his untimely death. He was probably the most brilliant mind behind the birth of the nation, but didn' t have a chance to lead it after unification. That' s why I' d still vote for Vittorio Emanuele, even if I' m not very fond of the Savoia family... but if LAnkou chooses Cavour I won' t tear my hair off, that' s for sure :)

LAnkou said:
well, this is for french school:

History of the italian peninsula:

Rome is created
they conquer gauls (and a few other countries with no importance) grrrr bad romans
Fall of the romans (Franks beat them. Yay!! First defeat in a long row for italian, still according to french history books)
Renaissance (well, the period of Lorenzo de Medicis, Machiavell, ) Francois I of France beat some italian ass
Napoleon conquer some italian territory (again kicking italian ass)
People's spring (we study germany and bismarck on the one hand, Italy and Garibaldi-Cavour-V.E.R.D.I., note the fact that only bismarck is truly study for germans instead of the whole three for Italy. I might add, that IIRC, Garibaldi is not presented as a military man, but more as a politician. Stupid french school)
WWI: well, italian wanted Dalmatia and didn't get it
Totalitarism in Europe: Hitler, Staline and Mussolini. Benito is presented as the less worse of the three, but he's definitely not a good man.
WWII: Italian did pretty much nothing (understand never really get into action, they weren't innocent), get their ass kicked and even return their shirt at the end...
Study of Modern days: Italia can be resumed to FIAT, Mafia and tourism.

a very biased story I have to say, just like the google joke "french military defeats" :)
About modern Italy, you forgot to mention pizza, spaghetti, pasta, mandolino (you see, I play mandolino every day when I beg for some change by the streets), and the latest added, catenaccio.

really, Italy may have a million problems (Berlusconi being the 1st one), but one thing I can say is we teach history better than you :)

nice work lankou and..yes.. italians do teach history better then you ...apparently :) and we teach it so good that we dont have enough time to post a "good" well-thoughtout history of Italia.

LAnkou said:

Rome is created
they conquer gauls (and a few other countries with no importance) grrrr bad romans
Fall of the romans (Franks beat them. Yay!! First defeat in a long row for italian, still according to french history books)
Renaissance (well, the period of Lorenzo de Medicis, Machiavell, ) Francois I of France beat some italian ass
People's spring (we study germany and bismarck on the one hand, Italy and Garibaldi-Cavour-V.E.R.D.I., note the fact that only bismarck is truly study for germans instead of the whole three for Italy. I might add, that IIRC, Garibaldi is not presented as a military man, but more as a politician. Stupid french school)
Totalitarism in Europe: Hitler, Staline and Mussolini. Benito is presented as the less worse of the three, but he's definitely not a good man.
WWII: Italian did pretty much nothing (understand never really get into action, they weren't innocent), get their ass kicked and even return their shirt at the end...

It's very realistic thinking at the level of the French students' knowledge when they start university studies.

+50% city attack, oh dear cities will fall.

Did you create the Condottiere skin, or did someone else make it? I used it in my composite mod as a second UU for Italy (I hope you don't mind. If you do, I can get a different unit.) Anyway, I just wanted to give credit where credit is due on my thread.

Rome is created

You forgot July 9th, 2006: Italy won its fourth World Cup versus France, :p :p :p , so two new leaders can be Cannavaro and Materazzi :king: :king: :king: no Zidane is permitted :cool:

Leader
Cavour should be a leader hands down... with out him Italian Unification wouldve took much longer if it would ever happen. His shrewd diplomacy put together Italy piece by piece.

UU
Italy as a nation emerged about 1866 a little late for knights i must say. To truly depict them I think a more modern unit would be more accurate such as calvary or infantry

Other than that it sounds good

Now just need to update it to Warlords

Carabiniere would make a good UU, but my point was for the "base unit" to be more advanced. i.e it would be more accurate if the "base unit" was infantry or calvary instead of a knight.

"Historically, a Carabiniere was a cavalryman or soldier armed with a carbine."
-From Wiki

It may be a little late to join the debate but I would think some kind of crossbowman would be a good UU for reniassance Italian States.

Why not a special unit: mafia...
The mafia can go in other city in other civ, and rubber some money from bank or increse the cost of mainteince (mantenimento)

Hi, Does somebody want to update this to a modular civ and beyond the sword and include a UB? (I have no big suggestion as I'm not Italian, but why not something representing the glory of the Rennaissance with its many "rich competing families", "city house" or something. Or a stadium, as the calcio is very important in Italy to get something "modern" into the civ... ;)?

greetz, mike

yea a UB would be nice

i think that world's opinion about italy is very curious.... expecially the one of the french. i think that the reason is that they try to hide the fact that italy excels in producing quality food, clothes, wine, cheese, autos and so on... probably better than the french do ;)

anyway, i think that Vittorio Emanuele II and Giolitti would be the right leaders for the Italian civilization. carabinieri or alpini would be the right UU.
concerning the special building, i think it could be a special museum or a special theater which produces a lot of art and a lot of money.

Top Bottom