1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

New computer

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by Maniacal, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

2. Maniacal

Well then, I guess the case can wait...

I just noticed I didn't have a soundcard... I'll need one of those.

THe one that looks good with a good price ($55.79):
    Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4 SE PCI 7.1 Surround Sound Card OEM

3. Woody

Woody General

Any case that accepts an ATX motherboard will work (and thats nearly all of them). Other than that its mainly a matter of personal taste and/or personal needs in what you want in a case. (And budget)

Here are a few things I would look for. Its nice to have front and/or top ports for USB, headphones, and etc. Having at least a couple of fans is good for cooling, 120mm ones move more air with less noise. Its good to have a couple of empty drive bays for adding hard drives and/or DVD drives later.

Technically you dont need one since the motherboard has built in sound. IMHO you wont notice any difference in sound quality between onboard sound and a addon card until you get into higher end sound cards. But if you have the money its not a bad idea to get a sound card since onboard sound will give you a 5% or so decrease in performance when playing games.

4. Chazumi

Chazumi Trained& Motivated Killer

That computer you want to build sounds like it will be quite formidable, although I am in complete agreement about the RAM. 1 gig is awesome, anything above that would not make anything too noticeable, and is money that could be well spent elsewhere.

If I were you I would go with 1 gig and put as much money as humanly possible on the video card and the processor, everything else is just bells and whistles (oh and a DVD drive...whoever left that out, you'll want that for certain games, I hear a lot of the "next-gen" games are DVDRom, [oblivion])

5. Maniacal

The dvd writer can read cds and dvds as well as burn them (or so it said). 5% performance? i'd like that increasement! I don't want my games lagging anymore. (I know lag is connection but I can't remember the other term). Well, I'll see in the end wether or not to get the sound card.

Re: Case: Someone earlier said this about the case I currently have selected:
    your case might not be upto scratch. best get a case only without PSU.""

Spoiler :
    Specifications

Model SH-W162C(TS-H552C)
    Data Transfer DVD+R Write: 16X (21.6MB/sec) / Read: 12X (16.2MB/sec)
    Rate MAX DVD+RW Write: 8X (10.8MB/sec) / Read: 8X (10.8MB/sec)
    DVD+R DUAL Write: 5X (6.75MB/sec) / Read: 8X (10.8MB/sec)
    DVD-R DUAL Write: 4X (5.4MB/sec) / Read: 8X (10.8MB/sec)
    DVD-R Write: 16X (21.6MB/sec) / Read: 12X (16.2MB/sec)
    DVD-RW Write: 6X (8.1MB/sec) / Read: 8X (10.8MB/sec)
    DVD-ROM(Single) - / Read: 16X (21.6MB/sec)
    CD-ROM - / Read: 48X (7.2MB/sec)
    CD-R Write: 48X (7.2MB/sec) / Read: 40X (6.0MB/sec)
    US-RW Write: 32X (4.8MB/sec) / Read: 40X (6.0MB/sec)
    HS-RW Write: 10X (1.5MB/sec) / Read: 40X (6.0MB/sec)
    CD-RW Write: 4X (0.6MB/sec) / Read: 40X (6.0MB/sec)

Access Time CD-ROM : 110ms (Ramdom) / DVD-ROM : 130ms (Ramdom)
    Burst Rate Ultra DMA Mode 2 : 33.3MB/sec, PIO Mode 4 : 16.7MB/sec
    Interface ATA/ATAPI
    Buffer Memory 2M
    Drive Install Form Horizontal / Vertical
    Size (W * H * L) 5.34 X 1.65 X 7.24 Inch (148.2 X 42 X 184mm)

Disk Format
    DVD :
    DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-ROM,
    DVD-Video, DVD+R (Dual), DVD-R (Dual)
    CD :
    CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, CD-DA, CD+E(G)
    CD-MIDI, CD-TEXT, CD-ROM XA, Mixed Mode CD
    CD-I, CD-I Bridge (Photo-CD, Video-CD),
    Multisession CD (Photo-CD, CD-EXTRA, Portforio)
    Buffer Protection Applied
    Lead Free Applied

6. Maniacal

Er, ok. Next topic: Keyboard and mouse. I want an optical mouse, cordless I don't care about as long as it's rechargable. I also wouldn't mind of those ones with the extra button or two on the side, but whatever. Keyboard I want something fo gaming/internet and not a cheap crud but bot expensive either of course.

7. Speedo

Speedo Esse Quam Videri

Actually more like 15-35% decrease, depending on the game.

8. Maniacal

Sounds even better! Any advice on keyboards though?

9. Woody

Woody General

Those numbers are way to high. When HardOCP reviews motherboards one of the things they test is the audio subsystem. I looked over the reviews from the past 6 months or so and they came up with fairly consistent numbers of a 5% decrease in FPS with direct 3D games and a 10% decrease in FPS with OpenGL games.

They were comparing onboard sound to no sound. Even a good soundcard will cause a decrease in FPS of 2 or 3% compared to no sound.

I am not saying dont bother getting a sound card, a good one will have better quality sound output and probably can handle more special effects. But if your on a tight budget you can get by without one and you can always add one later.

10. Speedo

Speedo Esse Quam Videri

Allow me to be blunt and say that I don't give a crap what Hardocp says. I've done substantial benchmarking in that area, and I'll stand by my results, thanks.

11. Maniacal

http://secure.ncix.com/pcbuilder/index.php?action=getprice&id=2234715&platformid=1000

This case looks really good, I just want to make sure it will work with the rest of the system.
    --------
    Coolermaster Centurion 530 BLACK-SILVER Aluminum ATX 18IN Tower Case 5X5.25 1X3.5 5X3.5INT No PS

Spoiler :
    Specifications

Available Color: Silver
    Dimensions: L495 x W235 x H460 mm
    Weight: 10kg
    Material: Aluminum bezel, SECC chassis
    M/B Type: ATX; 12” x 9.6” (30.5cm x 24.5 cm)
    5.25 Drive Bay: 5 (Exposed)
    3.5 Drive Bay: 1 (Exposed)
    5 (Hidden)
    Cooling System: One 120x120x25mm front fan ( Intake)
    One 120x120x25mm rear fan ( Exhaust ) (option)
    I/O Panel: USB2.0 x 2
    MIC x 1
    SPK x 1
    IEEE1394 x 1
    Power Supply Standard: ATX PS2, 380W (option)

12. Maniacal

http://secure.ncix.com/pcbuilder/index.php?action=getprice&id=2234715&platformid=1000

Ok, I realized I didn't have a hard drive yet. Now I have a Seagate Barracuda 200GB 7200.9 8MB SATA2 11MS Roha NCQ Hard Drive.

I don't think I've missed anything...
    Just a few questions;
    *1. Is it all compatible?*

2. Should I bother getting that keyboard or get something a bit cheaper?

3. I am not sure about the speakers, should I get a cheaper set for now?

4. Do I need a modem? I will be connecting this to a cable hook up (or maybe wireless router) for a few months then it might be hooked up to ADSL.

5. Did I forget anything?

13. Maniacal

14. CruddyLeper

CruddyLeper Unworshipped Deity

Yes.

Makes no difference. It will work, keyboards are cheap if they break anyway.

Suugest you get the PC delivered, take it to a local HiFi store, and ask them to rig it up to some of their demo systems.

Then you'll appreciate that, to really make a difference in sound (which you might not hear anyway) it costs a fortune.

In short - Makes no difference. It will work, speakers are cheap if they break anyway.

You will need a modem card if you want to suffer the pains of slow dialup. Broadband or cable modems are usually supplied by the ISP as part of the deal. Routers are never supplied, ISPs don't like them as they cost the ISPs sales.

Probably. But it's nothing you won't cope with I'm sure. Just when is it getting built? Because you keep threatening to get a new PC and never seem to get round to it? :p

15. Maniacal

16. Maniacal

17. Speedo

Speedo Esse Quam Videri

FYI if you're getting a factory overclocked GF79000GT:

The RMA rates on these have been pretty high - the companies say 5% but some other sources say as high as 10%.

The voltage regulators on the cards are only designed to handle the stock 1300mhz clock, but many of the factory OC'd cards are pushing the memory clock to 1500mhz+ which can cause the regulators to overheat and fail. Been a few weeks since I've read anything about it, so maybe they've dealt with it by now.

Btw, you've got the wrong memory in that last link. You've chosen DDR2, but that CPU/mobo takes normal DDR.

18. Maniacal

Why does it have to be so complicated?
    Ok, the RAM is now DDR, but I am do not understand very much pf what you are saying about the video card. I understand something about them overheating, are saying I need to get a different card?

I guess I don't really understand the whole overclocking thing.

19. Maniacal

I still do not understand what you mean about the video card.

20. CruddyLeper

CruddyLeper Unworshipped Deity

Meaning - a lot of companies are modifying the cards to run faster, but the cards haven't been designed to run that fast (they are drawing too much power) and hence they are failing.

Much better to get a "standard" card and try OCing it yourself. With a tool like NVTweak, it's really, really, REALLY easy. Slightly easier than setting the display resolution.

EDIT: Whether or not it consistently works Overclocked... you find that out the hard way.

Most GFX card coolers are pants and barely work with standard settings.