1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

New computer

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by Maniacal, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Speedo

Speedo Esse Quam Videri

You don't really need to worry about the details, just be aware that that particular type of card that you've picked (GF7900GT OC) has an unusually high return - but like I said, it's still only between 5-10%.

2. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

So if I were to play Oblivion for 12 hours straight it would hurt the card?

3. p dandy

p dandy Prince

So is there an economical (i.e. cheap) way to compensate for the card running too hot. I've seen some of the high end cooling systems that people have and they are rarely fans and cost in the hundreds. I live in a place that gets extremely hot in the summer so this is of great concern to me.

When buying a cooling unit, what features should I be looking for. I've never shopped for one of those before.

4. Speedo

Speedo Esse Quam Videri

No, a properly working card should be fine.

I would recommend that you just get a plain 7900GT, and not worry about it.

I've never seen any cooling solutions for the voltages regulators, so I'd say you're on your own (custom rig).

Like I said, unless you're running an overclocked GF7900GT, don't worry about it unless your card is actually running hot enough to justify some fancy cooling setup. Personally, I also live in house that gets very hot in the summer, but I've never seen my 7800GTX go above 75C (core limit on the GPU is 115C).

5. Maniacal

The only two regular GTs listed are a BFG Geforce and an ASUS Geforce. I am wondering if there is a difference between brands?

6. Speedo

Speedo Esse Quam Videri

Usually not much. Maybe a very minor difference in core/memory clocks, and different cooler design.

Both of those are good brands.

7. Maniacal

8. Maniacal

I do truly believe it is FINALY done. http://secure.ncix.com/pcbuilder/index.php?action=getprice&id=2234715&platformid=1000

1) I had to change the processor as the one I had selected is not in stock anymore, so I am spending $3 more on a processor that is exactly the same but has E6 added to the title. Does E6 mean anything?

2) It also has a special offer to get AOE3 FREE but I cannot figure out how to cash in on that. Help please?

3) The RAM is two 512s, Corsair Twinx. Is two 512s better than one 1gig?

4) How can the warrenty not be in stock?

9. Maniacal

10. Maniacal

Can someone please answer my questions/ I want to order this next week and then this will all be over.

11. Speedo

Speedo Esse Quam Videri

Probably just a Rev E version of the processor (didn't bother looking at it). Newer version of the same thing. Small improvements in ways that you'll never notice.

2x512MB is 1GB.... You generally want two DIMMs though, so that you can make use of dual channel.

12. Maniacal