New computer

Maniacal

the green Napoleon
Ok, my new computer for House A is put on hold as the budget is under heated debate. House B I have the money for, though I would prefer NOT to spend more than $2100 MAXIMUM (not counting tax, maybe). I would like some suggestions that are EASILY AVAILIABLE FOR ME ON VANCOUVER ISLAND, BC, CANADA. I will ask at a couple of computer palces here about how much they would charge for putting it together for me IF, I repeat IF, I decide to just get pieces.
I will use the computer for games and internet and would like it to be upgradable and run, say, Oblivion (quite) well.
So far:

I can give NCIX a thumbs up. They are Canada-based, and I ordered my hard drives from them for my current comp. For some reason the Samsung drives I was after weren't available anywhere in the US. I haven't looked around enough to know how decent their prices are, though.

yes, it has 4. these days your gonna be extreamly hard pressed to find a motherboard with OUT usb ports

That ''No PS W/USB & Audio Ports'' means the case doesn't have a Power Supply, but does have USB and Audio ports. 4 USB to be exact, but these are easily split into as many as you'll ever need.

I've had the same processor since August, and am very happy with it. The motherboard appears solid, and evga.com will send you a free copy of Quake 4 with the purchase of that video card, but you have to buy it from selected companies. I think Tigerdirect ships to Canada, and I've heard good things about them.

Personally, I think you should pick your own case. It'll be sitting on your desk staring at you, and you better like how it looks. Antec does make superb cases, but you can find quality ones for half or even a third the price. Just don't use the power supply that comes with one of them. Stick with the OCZ drago picked out.

2 gigs of RAM is probably overkill unless you do photo/video editing or game hosting, but if it's in your budget, you won't be disappointed.

If you put this together yourself, don't forget the Arctic Silver thermal compound for the CPU. It is pretty easy to piece everything together yourself, just make sure you read the instructions carefully if you're not familiar with it.

Memory has nothing to do with lag, that's entirely your internet connection and/or the server that you're "talking" to.

All the testing has shown that the performance difference between 1GB and 2GB of RAM is <5%. So, there's no particular reason to use 2GB just for gaming.

System requirements for COD are relatively low by today's standards. Can you run single player games without problems? If so, it could be the internet connection isn't always as good as you think it is, the server is slow, or some other thing you have no control over. The parts listed above are capable of playing any game on the market today, and should be future-proof for some time.

PrinceScamp said:
Couldn't graphics card also affect it? As I have highspeed/cable internet, COD:UO still lags. With a FX5200 gfx card and 512 RAM. But ok, I will go for 1gig maybe.

FX5200 is only marginally faster than my MX440 low fps rears it ugly head ever once in a while.

The lag could also be memory leakage after cycling through several maps. Ging to 1 gig will do wonders for your PC.

Couldn't graphics card also affect it? As I have highspeed/cable internet, COD:UO still lags.
-------------
The lag could also be memory leakage after cycling through several maps. Ging to 1 gig will do wonders for your PC.

You guys are making the (very common) mistake of confusing lag with low framerate.

Lag, aka latency or "ping", is the time delay for information to move from the server to your computer. You're dealing with this all the time on the internet, it's just not noticeable. It's in games where you have a constant flow of data, and need to constantly update the position of players, objects, and various other things that this delay can become noticeable, if the delay is long enough. If it becomes extremely high, like 300-400ms or more (if you have a good cable or DSL connection, you are probably getting <100ms the majority of the time) it can appear to be somewhat like a framerate issue. Players will sometimes appear to pause, then suddenly jump ahead (known as warping), it can seem like you're running behind everyone else in the game (and you are, in a way)...

The classic excuse for getting killed in a FPS is "But he had a lower ping...." ;)
And, the best way to get called a cheater in any FPS is to achieve good scores with a high ping (been there, done that, got the t-shirt.... several times :D )

The main control you have over your ping is in chosing a server. Generally, the the closer the server is to your location, the better the ping will be. This is why essentially every online game shows the ping times in the server list when you are looking for a game. Of course, if you have a good connection and are getting very bad latency, there may be an issue with your connection, modem, or something else.

Framerate issues, OTOH, all originate in your PC. Whether it's from having game settings turned up to high for your hardware, having to many programs running in the background, having a virus or spyware, or whatever.

Anyway....
I should get paid for writing books as long as my posts end up :p

Yes, you should write a book. I wish the games would say what PING is in the manual, I had no idea unil last Fall, now, I could have looked it up on google but I tned NOT to do that for some reason. I don't know why.

Edit: I can't tell the difference between the "Post Reply" and "Post new Topic" buttons :blush:

I am having a problem with the site, there are just WAY TOO MANY chocies. It's hard to go through 10000000 different cases when you have no idea if they are compatiabal... can you help me somehow? :confused:

Any ATX case will work. You can usually sort by this at any website. It's by far the most common size also.

PrinceScamp said:
Another thing, I also need a monitor but there sin't muhc of a selection for monitors on there. And there IS a fan that comes with the case, right?

Your best bet with a monitor is to read the reviews, decide which one you like, then go to your local electronics franchise store and buy it there.

Cases usually come with fans, but sometimes do not, read the description carefully to be sure.

Top Bottom