1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New computer

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by Maniacal, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

2. Speedo

Speedo Esse Quam Videri

That board has 10 USB ports, seems to be pretty standard for Asus boards. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131569

4 of the port will be built into the back of the motherboard and the others are plugs built into the board. It should come with the add-in ports (most quality boards do) that drop into the back of the comp and plug into the board, or if your case has front/top USB ports you can use them too.

3. Woody

Woody General

4. Maniacal

So the case sounds like a good choice.
    I hate dial up, TELUS said the modem is to come this week... it's spring break, nah, the mail is still working.

Now to play around with it some more.

EDIT: The way I have it I am ordering XP Home OS, would that mean I have to install it myself?

5. Speedo

Speedo Esse Quam Videri

Are you having NCIX build the system, or just ordering components? If they build it it should already be installed, at least it says they do "Full assembly and testing".

If you're just buying parts, you're on your own. But it's about as hard as putting a CD into the drive.

6. Sildo

Sildo A circle

If I were you I would get a very good moutherboard, so in the future you'll be able upgrade off of the motherboard for year(s)to come.

7. Maniacal

How good is my current motherboard? I really don't know anything exept what SATA, PCI-E, etc mean.

@Speedo: I am not sure yet, but I will probably have them build it.

8. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Drop the Floppy Disk
    Drop the DVD drive
    2gig ram is kinda overkill but nothing wrong with it since your getting a 7800GT
    (EDIT: CPU bottleneck for it I believe)

your case might not be upto scratch. best get a case only without PSU.
    Recommended would be centurian are nice big case, comes with extra fans

And since Scramp is not an OCer the 3700+ is fine other wise 3200+ OCing would be a better bet.

Scamp your in USA so there US dollars right ?
    Seems expensive for the parts. Could do better to hunt doe better pricing

9. dannyevilcat

dannyevilcat DESTROYER OF FURNITURE

Nah, it's Canadian prices. BTW, I also give NCIX the thumbs up.

10. Woody

Woody General

I would keep the floppy, for $10 its cheap insurance for the few oddball things you need it for. For example I recently had to replace a motherboard and the only way to install the OS on a SATA drive with this board was to have the drivers for the chipset on a floppy so XP could add them during installation. Floppy drives are also needed for some memory checking programs and I know of a couple of disk recovery programs that run from floppy.

If the budget is tight the extra DVD is probably not needed but its nice to have around. I have two on my sys and mostly use one for whatever game I am currently playing and the other for an audio CD.

I would get it in black instead of beige to match the case.

11. Maniacal

EDIT: Current selection: http://secure.ncix.com/pcbuilder/index.php?action=getprice&id=2234715&platformid=1000

I am keeping the floppy. FF, I think maybe you should look at my location. EDIT: And the little CAD letters next to the money total on the right that moves up and down.

I want to be able to burn dvds and cds and use both.

They don't have Centurian listed. I'll look at this again later.

EDIT: Half of FF's post makes no sense to me, this case does not have PSU listed in the description for example. Although it does say PCI and AGp slots, but I don't know what it means by that, it also says out of stock.

EDIT: What about the two cases below it?

EDIT: I am going to need a mouse and keyboard, but I WILL DEAL WITH THE MOUSE AND KEYBOARD LATER.

12. FriendlyFire

TA-231 ATX MID-TOWER Case 4X5.25 2X3.5 4X3.5INT Black 350W<======== comes with 350w PSU
    (TA-231) (sku: 12824)

My single DVD burner dose the LOT: Burns DVD +/-. DL, RW as well as CD-Rs/W
    I did have another DVD-Rom (which I dont use, so I removed it, modded my case for a fron 12cm fan)

13. FriendlyFire

Oh yeah the sata driver forgot.

But I now moved onto bootable CDs for any type of recovery, software, backup and so on.

14. Speedo

Speedo Esse Quam Videri

Newer XP disks shouldn't need to load the driver manually. Floppies are still useful, though.

It's just personal preference, especially considering how cheap plain CD and DVD-ROMs are. My comp has a DVD burner (that does all the associated blah), DVD-ROM and CD-ROM, and all 3 get used on a regular basis.

15. Maniacal

Oh. Ok.

The dvd burner I have listed, it will burn CDs right? I think I will stick with two seperate, i didn't see any DVD reader and rewriter listed, but I might have missed it.

16. Speedo

Speedo Esse Quam Videri

Any DVD burner should do CDs no problem. Most of them now also will support R/RW, +/-, etc. You'll just have to look up the specs on that particular model to be sure.

17. Maniacal

Current system: http://secure.ncix.com/pcbuilder/index.php?action=getprice&id=2234715&platformid=1000

THe DVD burner I have selected can read dvds and cds and rewrite both. I don't think I'll need that other dvd reader.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=16655&vpn=SH-W162Z/BSBN BLACK BULK&manufacture=Samsung

EDIT!!! They aren't selling the EVGA E-GEFORCE 7800GT PCI-E 256MB 256BIT GDDR3 Dual DVI-I HDTV VIVO SLI Ready Video Card Retail anymore it looks like.

EDIT: I wonder if I should order the box? (I posted this link in the Humour + Jokes forum so reply to the below there, unless you think I should order it with my stuff)
    http://secure.ncix.com/forumpost/displaythread.php?threadid=732724
    http://search.ncix.com/productdetail2.php?noheader=1&sku=11843

18. Maniacal

So instead of the 7800GT should I get the EVGA E-GEFORCE 7900 GT CO 500MHZ PCI-E 256MB 256BIT 1.5GHZ GDDR3 Dual DVI HDTV Out Video Card for $399?

Or what?

19. FriendlyFire

you mean this card ? WHOA man it beats the 7800GTX and is cheaper to boot
    your onto a winner

Out of the box the EVGA 7900 GT CO SUPERCLOCKED is one very impressive card. This is undoubtedly the fastest mid-range card I have ever tested staying with or bettering the 7800 GTX in the benchmarks used in this preview.

20. Maniacal

SCORE! Oh yeah :king:.

So next item on the list is the case. There is too big of a list on there, apparently the one I have selected now isn't good enough or something, which ones might work? Any ideas?