New Conquest Victory?

MuteWolf

Chieftain
I was watching a preview on IGN and they mentioned trying to get a conquest victory by taking all the other nations capitals. Is this all that is required for conquest now? and if so does it mean that taking an enemy capital = taking the entire civ? no more capital transfers when you take their previous capital? Which of course means losing your capital equals instant death.

This one preview posted here today claimed that you needed not control all capitals peer se, but rather that you needed to be the only player still in control of your original capital. If that will be the case, you need not actually take out everyone, but only the strong AI players who are bullying others.

In one of my preview build games I accidentally got the conquest victory because I took over a capital that was already taken over by another AI. I was meaning to leave just one AI alive so that I could finish the space race without interruption. :)

Mystic, can you confirm that the destruction of enemy capital cities is forbidden by the game?

Mystic, can you confirm that the destruction of enemy capital cities is forbidden by the game?

Hmmmmmm, not being able to destroy enemy capitals is a possible limitation that I had not thought of.

Still, in Civ 4 I always played with "No city razing" enabled and will probably do so in Civ 5 as well so I doubt I will care to much anyways.

We already know Capitals can't be razed/destroyed.

We already know that the "Domination" victory is whomever is left standing being the only Civ to hold thier Original Capital.
(So yes you can win simply by conquering the capital of the war monger who spread himself too thin conquering all 16 other Civ's but you and him, an interesting Multiplayer tactic possibly :p.)

We already know that Capturing an enemy Capital does nothing to the rest of the Civ, they get a new Capital automatically assigned (we think its automatic) for trade route purposes and policies that affect Capitals.

The information exists for anyone willing to look for it.

The manual goes into detail on page 116. I'm glad to see a new conquest-oriented victory condition, but would prefer to require you to own at least two original capitols. (That way, if everyone else lost their original capitol, you must have taken over at least one of them to win this way. Otherwise, I foresee it possible for civs to be warring with each other and taking over each others' original capitols while you don't take over anything and yet still win Domination.)

I am unclear as to whether you have any indication as to what the original capitols are, though? I could see this as being advantageous if you see the original owner trying to take back their capitol and want to prevent this before they actually win it back.

Also, since it sounds like there is no way to change your original capitol for this victory condition, this makes the starting settlement choice more important -- I may actually wait a turn or two to get on a hill for the extra defensive bonus.

I really like how they have made the domination and diplomatic victories into clear opposites.

Your population, number of cities, and number of occupied capitals don't get you any closer to a diplomatic victory. A player playing for domination isn't going to get any UN votes.

In fact successfully countering an opponent who is going for a domination victory could make a diplomatic victory easier, by giving you opportunities to liberate civs and city-states.

I was watching a preview on IGN and they mentioned trying to get a conquest victory by taking all the other nations capitals. Is this all that is required for conquest now? and if so does it mean that taking an enemy capital = taking the entire civ? no more capital transfers when you take their previous capital? Which of course means losing your capital equals instant death.

Your given a new capital if your orginal capital is captured, you don't necessarily lose but you can't win a domination victory without taking it back.

Your given a new capital if your orginal capital is captured, you don't necessarily lose but you can't win a domination victory without taking it back.

Speaking of which, how can the player keep track of all of the original capitals in the world? Is there some screen or something that shows a list of all of the original capitals of the world so that the player won't just have to guess?

not entirely sure but you'll memorise them eventually, thebes eygpt etc.

But according to the manual you don't have to take all the capitals to win just as long as everyone else has lost thiers you win. So you can take all but one of the civs capitals, then if the last guy takes yours you lose. This was the way i originally saw it being implemented, but if its done this way, why can't you raze capitals, it wouldn't effect the victory condition other than you can't capture it back.

There is a list of which civs have lost thier capitals, so you won't have to search for the last one or anything.

This was the way i originally saw it being implemented, but if its done this way, why can't you raze capitals, it wouldn't effect the victory condition other than you can't capture it back.

There is a list of which civs have lost thier capitals, so you won't have to search for the last one or anything.
Since capitals can't be razed, you can always take yours back, thus re-enabling the Domination VC.

The other (maybe less significant) point is that no civ can ever be permanently eliminated from the game: even if you raze all of their cities, their capital will remain. If someone else conquers the capital later, they can choose to liberate it, thus restoring the civ. . . and guaranteeing that said civ will always vote for them in the UN. This is confirmed in the Manual.

From page 117 of the Manual:
If a civilization has been removed from the game and you capture one of those civ’s cities, you have the option of annexing it, making it your puppet, or liberating it. If you do so, the civilization returns to play. The liberated civ will always vote for you in UN elections. In case of multiple liberators, the civ will vote for whoever liberated them most recently.

AH, so the game is more interesting now, even if the new conquest voctory has become a bit iffy at times. I can see how it is not fun to win when you are completely isolated and the other continents are going at it, but how often would you see real powerful nations lose their capital all at once?

Top Bottom