New Content Coming to Civilization VI Digital Deluxe Edition

Limited stacking (with techs unlocking additional stacking later in the ages).
More realistic graphics and leader screens (a return to fan preference from prior games).

Wow, I just realised it's been a good four or five months since I last saw anyone bring up unit stacking or the Civ VI graphics :rolleyes:

Snark aside, I don't think its fair to say that "fan preference" is for realistic graphics. There's plenty of people who have no problem with or even prefer the present style. I don't even know where this notion that the Civ series was ever aiming to have hyper-realistic graphics even came from. A lot of people seem to mistakenly think Civ V's style was aiming to be a realistic one when in fact it was clearly a painterly style, the washed out colours for the terrain had a distinctly renaissance-landscape thing going on, and the backgrounds and models for the vanilla leaders conformed to that quite closely. As for Civ IV, IMO the leaders there were even more exaggerated caricatures and less realistic than what we have in Civ VI.

No need to be snarky. :p

The huge outcry on YouTube and the forums alike has led me to conclude Civ V's style is more fans' preference overall vs. Civ VI's appearance. I'm not saying Civ VI's style doesn't have its merits, but I prefer V's style, especially for the leaderscreens and the fluid animation when chatting with leaders (as opposed to the cinematic screens in VI which you can't cancel without manually hitting the ESC button).

The painterly style of Civ V's terrain etc is far more realistic than Civ VI's cartoony-esque terrain, and that extends to the small wonder icons in the build screen for VI. Naturally when you exaggerate certain features (as VI does for more recognizability from afar), you will get less realistic textures and images. Some prefer VI for its stylized look, which is fine, but let's not get ahead of ourselves and say it's somehow *more* realistic than V's look.

Furthermore, I never said Civ was ever "aiming to have hyper-realistic graphics". I don't know where you got the notion that there was such a notion.

Re: the leader screens, you surely must be joking. Civ VI features plasticine figures like Pedro II and Victoria, who looked like they walked out of an Aardman animation, and Alexander looks like he's out of a Robot Chicken clip.

Last edited:
Civ VI features plasticine figures like Pedro II and Victoria, who looked like they walked out of an Aardman animation

I don't see why people keep saying that like its a bad thing, does everyone hate Aardman or something? :lol: Civ VI Pedro has Civ V Pedro beat in the personality department hands down, in Civ V he sat behind a desk and just talked at you after all.

Some prefer VI for its stylized look, which is fine, but let's not get ahead of ourselves and say it's somehow *more* realistic than V's look.

I don't think anyone is saying that, my claim was that Civ VI's leaders were less caricatured compared to Civ IV's leaders. Ultimately my point was that Civ hasn't attempted realistic graphics since about Civ III and, if anything, Firaxis has been gradually moving away from that style ever since.

At the end of the day Firaxis can go for a 2D pixel-art style for Civ VII and make the whole thing look like Advance Wars, as far as I care the whole debate is irrelevant compared to how the game actually plays.

That other thread became tedious with the goal of message counts versus actual information or relevant conversation. Just saying.

I don't see why people keep saying that like its a bad thing, does everyone hate Aardman or something? :lol: Civ VI Pedro has Civ V Pedro beat in the personality department hands down, in Civ V he sat behind a desk and just talked at you after all.
Aardman is cartoony. Last I checked, Civ wasn't a cartoon, but a complex turn-based strategy game simulating a parallel-universe world with mankind's greatest wonders and achievements. And given the divergence from Civ V to VI graphics I think people found it humorous and disappointing (both) that the graphics had shifted so much into something more befitting an 8-year old's favorite history cartoon (which is perfectly fine, if a cartoon is that which you were after to begin with).

Maybe in the personality department, yes, VI's Pedro has V's beat. But Civ V's Pedro had more presence, is more historically accurate in appearance and gravitas, and he has better music to boot. Presentation-wise, the leader screen background makes a difference. Civ V's Pedro is a guy with a Hollywood film crew filming him in a magnificent studio and a sunset in the background, as he, dignified, works on the papers before him while talking to you. He *looks* like a leader, in a suitable environment. On the other hand, Civ VI's Pedro stands awkwardly with his hands near his groin in front of a smudged painting.

[M]y claim was that Civ VI's leaders were less caricatured compared to Civ IV's leaders. Ultimately my point was that Civ hasn't attempted realistic graphics since about Civ III and, if anything, Firaxis has been gradually moving away from that style ever since.
Civ IV's leaders were caricatured, but also more realistic than say, VI's Pedro, whose nose is pure cartoon. Many of Civ IV's leaders, like Pericles and Julius Caesar, looked a lot like their historical counterparts, unlike say, VI's Roman leader, Trajan, who looks like Julius Caesar from the Asterix comics. I think an exaggerated leader is fine so long as it still looks like that leader. VI's Pedro does *not* look like the serious, Darwin-like Pedro of history. At all. And Victoria in VI looks...too easily amused.

Re: your not caring about the art style, I think gameplay is more important than the art style too, but aesthetics matter when you're trying to create a parallel-universe game featuring mankind's greatest achievements. A sense of wonder is hard to achieve when staring at a cartoon Pedro's giant nose.

Civ V was a definite shift towards more realism, both in making the leader screens more detailed and animated (taking up the vast majority of the animation resources), and in terms of making the world seem richer and more detailed. So I don't agree that "Firaxis has been gradually moving away from" a more realistic style. If anything, VI was the outlier.

IV may have had exaggerated graphics, but the leader screens showed more fidelity and detail to the historical personages, aka a form of realism, and the wonder screens were also quite realistic. The unit icons were also fairly detailed as opposed to cartoony (compare IV's unit icons to VI's unit icons--a vast gulf of detail separates the two).

At the end of the day Firaxis can go for a 2D pixel-art style for Civ VII and make the whole thing look like Advance Wars, as far as I care the whole debate is irrelevant compared to how the game actually plays.
The "debate" only started in this instance because you decided to snarkily criticize what I predicted Civ VII would have. As far as I care, this is not a "debate". What you prefer and what I prefer are distinct from what may reasonably be *predicted* of Civ VII, which is, after all, one of the topics we were invited to speculate about.

Last edited:
The huge outcry on YouTube and the forums alike has led me to conclude Civ V's style is more fans' preference overall vs. Civ VI's appearance. I'm not saying Civ VI's style doesn't have its merits, but I prefer V's style, especially for the leaderscreens and the fluid animation when chatting with leaders (as opposed to the cinematic screens in VI which you can't cancel without manually hitting the ESC button).

Huge outcry?

There are some complainers, but there will always be complainers.

The majority have always been in favor of the graphics.

Huge outcry?

Or at least got used to it and stopped complaining. One we got video instead of static screenshots, the furor died down significantly.

Or at least got used to it and stopped complaining. One we got video instead of static screenshots, the furor died down significantly.

The game looks a lot better played than in those first screenshots

Realistic or cartoony graphics is a personal preference. For me, Civ6 graphics better - Civ5 graphics is dull and due to uncanny valley effect, leaders actually look unnatural.

Last edited:
Spoiler The Civ V Defeat Screen :

The giant statue depicted in the Civ V Defeat Screen can be unsettling to some.

I would have thought that unsettling was what they were going for in that situation. You lost the game, here's the disturbing fate that befell the things your civilization constructed :lol:

Huge outcry?

Wrong re: the outcry's scale. Check Facebook, check YouTube. Numerous fans (especially of Civ V, but also those of IV and V) posted comments criticizing the graphics, and this was true post-video release as well. Numerous discussions on the Internet, in both written and video form, examined whether people were right to hate on the graphics. Comparisons to "Facebook games" abounded. Others noted it was still difficult to make out details (for example, the map with brown fog of war which the developers keep mentioning actually makes it difficult to see things--icons for wonders, capitals, etc are actually tricky to make out, and I prefer V's fog of war for that reason, even if I like the idea of VI's fog of war, its execution needs improvement).

"There will always be complainers" is not a great defense for your opinion, as some of those complainers may well be right to complain. Would it be a great argument if I said of your opinion "There will always be critics"? That people on this forum (including me) may have come around to accepting VI's graphics, warts and all, does not mean we don't *greatly* prefer V's style to VI's.

For me, Civ6 graphics better - Civ5 graphics is dull and due to uncanny valley effect, leaders actually look unnatural.
Disagree. Civ V's leaders had more natural transitions between leaderscreen stances for one thing (realtime vs. cinematic interactions in V vs. VI) and I never noticed a leader giving me the uncanny valley effect in V. Many of the leaders had expressive bodily motions that matched with their facial contortions in V, whereas in VI we have Barbarossa and Tomyris with jerky/awkward movements (in particular Tomyris' intro where she suddenly straightens up in an uncanny valley effect), and some leaders, like Alexander, have unrealistic faces that truly beggar belief in the powers of Robot Chicken, or others, like Pedro and Phillip, who have immensely exaggerated features (and these are not consistently articulated--Phillip II for example, has an awkward positive Agenda expression when his face contorts oddly into a smile that makes his face not match the rest of his expressions).

Last edited:
Hey guys, can someone please sum it up for me, because i'm confused by all these threads and discussions lately, i don't really understand what are we waiting for. So they put Nubia out, and show a scenario, and today we are expected to get that? - but what about a über massive patch to the game? - all this months of waiting just to get a civ and a scenario? I'm not sure i understand what's going on, so please, in a few sentences, what is currently expected(going on) and what is expected in coming months. Thanks.

Hey guys, can someone please sum it up for me, because i'm confused by all these threads and discussions lately, i don't really understand what are we waiting for. So they put Nubia out, and show a scenario, and today we are expected to get that? - but what about a über massive patch to the game? - all this months of waiting just to get a civ and a scenario? I'm not sure i understand what's going on, so please, in a few sentences, what is currently expected(going on) and what is expected in coming months. Thanks.

We're getting a DLC which includes Nubia and a scenario. The assumption is that there will be a patch to accompany it, as there has been with every prior DLC, and this is the longest gap we have had so far (so the most time for the team to work on improvements). No confirmation on the patch (unless I have missed something), but this too is not new. I do seem to remember that the devs told us during the stream that there was something more coming, but this would then be a surprise for us until the patch goes live, and don't get too excited because I can't remember for certain.

No official confirmation of a patch, but there has been one with every other DLC release, and the Dev have said more is coming with the DLC, which I will assume for the moment that they were referring to the patch.

I know i will be refreshing all my sources every couple of hours till i could read the patch notes.

Bad PR on firaxis part. Could learn a lot from paradox.

Anyone remember what time were the previous patches released? Or has there even been any consistency?

Top Bottom