New Expansion Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised our leaker hasn't been caught or fired by Firaxis yet. Unless Firaxis wanted this to leak out....
I doubt it's someone actually working for Firaxis on the expansion. Besides the Halloween party, there could be consultants, support staff, or even temporary janitorial staff that had access any time in the last few months. Perhaps they took a handful of pics and only shared them with a close relative who's a fan of the game, and it's that relative who is now leaking the pics.

Last edited:
For all we know these leaked pictures could be cropped from the background of a group photo of employees. Or a picture of the party venue. Similar to the leader portraits incident.

Since the release of the leaks and us debating them, whether they are real or what they represent, I am just glad we possibly found out information on possible upcoming content.

Since R&F 9 months ago we've only got a single patch, and that was more of a hotfix. There has been complete and utter silence from Firaxis. I'm glad the PC community finally has something to be excited about with Civ VI.

Since R&F 9 months ago we've only got a single patch, and that was more of a hotfix. There has been complete and utter silence from Firaxis. I'm glad the PC community finally has something to be excited about with Civ VI.
There's actually been four patches since R&F was released - a Hotfix Update in February, a March Developer's Update, a Spring Developer's Update in May, & the Cross-Platform Multiplayer Update in July.

Yeah, that seems to be the explanation which makes the most sense. I'm still convinced the leader is Hongi Hika.

I'm also thinking its Hongi Hika too mainly due to that first picture on his wikipedia also having the necklace and cape. If it is him I do hope they make him slightly thinner like in his pictures. I'll be looking at other Maori leaders just in case 1 of them is a closer match.

Even if that xebec ship isn't a civ or leader UU, it would be an exciting possibility to have pirate leaders like Sayyida Al-Hurrah in the game.

With a Maori leader, you actually have a number of really good choices

There is Hongi Hika if you are looking for the Indigenous tribe reappropriating western technology to use back against them (similar vein to the Shoshone in Civ 5)

There is Pōtatau Te Wherowhero if you are focusing on the royal/diplomatic aspect of the civilization as he was the first King of the Maori people (I would have also gone for Te Arikinui Dame Te Atairangikaahu but it looks like they are going for a man in the leaked art)

There is also Te Rauparaha a key figure in the Musket Wars, but also has a huge cultural legacy as the originator of the Haka

I'm surprised our leaker hasn't been caught or fired by Firaxis yet. Unless Firaxis wanted this to leak out....

For me this is a "pseudo leak", sort of marketing technique to raise the desire before the official announcement. If firaxis wanted his new leaders to remain secret, do you really think they would display their images all over the walls of their offices, where there are probably lots of people coming all day long? for me it's a way to give food to the fan base. and that's good, it helps us to wait.

For me this is a "pseudo leak", sort of marketing technique to raise the desire before the official announcement. If firaxis wanted his new leaders to remain secret, do you really think they would display their images all over the walls of their offices, where there are probably lots of people coming all day long? for me it's a way to give food to the fan base. and that's good, it helps us to wait.

Never go to Zebra's when there is a clear horse lying about. Dev's have concept art up all the time, so what is more likely that this is a fake leak to *****, picked up by R/civ, and then here, or it was come contractor/delivery person/relative/etc that came into the office and grabbed a sneaky mobile phone picture

Yes they do. A lot of companies do that, if the leak was due to the Hallowen party Eagle mentioned then chances are they didn't incorporate other people sneaking in.

Many gaming studios hang their art just for everyone to give feedback upon, it also shows in-progress, planned and other aspects, remember the whole Leader Bingo? They didn't have that just for us to see, they probably were using it to keep track of tasks along with it.

Controversial opinion: Cleopatra is an excellent choice for Egypt, but Firaxis dropped the ball on her. An ability that allows her to build UUs and UIs of Civ's she's conquered and/or has aligned with would've been historically fitting and god-bleeping-awesome, instead of the insipid trade bonus she's handing out now. (Honestly the reason why I want her to return for Civ7, ideally as an Alt for Egypt alongside whichever pharaoh tickles Firaxis's fancy)

Oh and her "evil succubus" persona has been sooooo overdone as well. Blergh. She was a shrewd, politically astute and pragmatic diplomat who excelled at strategically positioning herself in places of benefit, not some horny nymphomaniac who wanted to get some Caesar D.

But there are other good female leaders in Egypt. I don't know why they always go for a greek girl that lead her civilization to vanishment into the roman empire. Cleopatra I, Hatshepsut, Nerfertiti, Nefertari...

I really hope Eleanor of Aquitaine isn't an actual leader.

But there are other good female leaders in Egypt. I don't know why they always go for a greek girl that lead her civilization to vanishment into the roman empire. Cleopatra I, Hatshepsut, Nerfertiti, Nefertari...

Because VI hasn't been about the best leaders - it has been about BIG personality leaders. When Civ IV made it clear that they wanted to use the best leaders for Civ and turn their back on a pop culture favourite like Cleopatra; I remember thinking that is a great idea. It still is. But so is VI's take where they went for certain personalities, and said as much at the launch. Given the choice, I'd probably always lean to IV's take; but its not like Firaxis didn't explain why they have gone the way they did this time.

Last edited:
Any chance of some news release today? I'm itching for more substantial news. Though maybe they have the day off to vote. Not sure if they have early voting over there.

Any chance of some news release today? I'm itching for more substantial news. Though maybe they have the day off to vote. Not sure if they have early voting over there.

I doubt we will here anything before the Switch launch, all the marketing is geared towards that atm

Yes they do. A lot of companies do that, if the leak was due to the Hallowen party Eagle mentioned then chances are they didn't incorporate other people sneaking in.

Many gaming studios hang their art just for everyone to give feedback upon, it also shows in-progress, planned and other aspects, remember the whole Leader Bingo? They didn't have that just for us to see, they probably were using it to keep track of tasks along with it.
For me the bingo was intentional too.

Some of us are just hoping that it isn't all leaked to keep the suspense going longer. That's all.
They just delivered a leak and a hoax - so 2 or 3 more leaks won't hurt.

I have been trying to come up with the words to articulate this thought. So thanks. As muzzled as 2K has kept Firaxis it makes no since to me that they would let any outsider access to WIP. My vote (if this isn't a hoax) is this is no leak but intentional release.

I have been trying to come up with the words to articulate this thought. So thanks. As muzzled as 2K has kept Firaxis it makes no since to me that they would let any outsider access to WIP. My vote (if this isn't a hoax) is this is no leak but intentional release.

I'm rather critical of Firaxis and 2k's communication policies, but even I wouldn't go so far as to assume that (a) they think this is the best way to make a pending expansion known, or (b) their staff would wilfully undermine the planned marketing strategy.

How is a leak of a couple of photos better for future game sales than a polished marketing release? And if 2k has settled into a marketing strategy for the game that does not involve an announcement yet, how likely is it that Firaxis employees would act together to make the expansion known without 2k's consent?

Yeah, what's the benefit of doing something like this through a not-to-be-named website instead of posting a tiny screengrab on their twitter or whatever? The people looking at this stuff now probably aren't the people they need to win over/get excited.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom