New Expansion Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
While im super hopeful that this is all true, but has anyone thought this might be an elaborate hoax?

That may be an issue in some parts of Asia where tattoos are heavily associated with gangs; but it would be even more insulting to Maori not to include them on a Maori leader to kowtow to a different races sensitivities.
Also, Disney of all people got away with it with Maui in Moana, which to my knowledge did quite well in Asia. And Mass Effect also did quite well in Asia (that they got away with Jack in the US is the amazing part).

We shouldn't be surprised if the Byzantines show up in some form (own civ or alt leader for Rome). After all, we only have 4 Greek leaders; the game won't be complete without at least one more. :mischief:

I can only think of three - Gorgo, Alexander and Pericles. Who's the 4th? I know Cleo was of probable Greek descent but I'm not sure if that's who you're thinking of.

Berbers have amazing female leaders (in fact, it's reallly difficult to find an Africa based civ which doesn't have at least one good female option, Zulu notwithstanding)

The lack of Saharan City States could indicate a Civ from that region. Personally I'd prefer Mali or Kanem for a Sahara trade Civ. The Garamantes are now known to have had significant settlements and advanced irrigation techniques - they'd be an interesting choice.

I can only think of three - Gorgo, Alexander and Pericles. Who's the 4th? I know Cleo was of probable Greek descent but I'm not sure if that's who you're thinking of.
Cleopatra was 100% Greek, ethnically and culturally. She recast herself as Egyptian to gain the support of the people in the civil war against her brother, including learning Egyptian and claiming to be the incarnation of Isis. If Firaxis wanted a historically accurate Cleopatra, she'd be wearing a Hellenistic himation and curled updo with Egyptian-style makeup. ;)

Controversial opinion: Cleopatra is an excellent choice for Egypt, but Firaxis dropped the ball on her. An ability that allows her to build UUs and UIs of Civ's she's conquered and/or has aligned with would've been historically fitting and god-bleeping-awesome, instead of the insipid trade bonus she's handing out now. (Honestly the reason why I want her to return for Civ7, ideally as an Alt for Egypt alongside whichever pharaoh tickles Firaxis's fancy)

Oh and her "evil succubus" persona has been sooooo overdone as well. Blergh. She was a shrewd, politically astute and pragmatic diplomat who excelled at strategically positioning herself in places of benefit, not some horny nymphomaniac who wanted to get some Caesar D.

As for Saharan/West-African states, one choice that I've been recently warming up to is actually NIGERIA. Specifically a Nigeria based around the Hausa people, led by the semi-legendary badass queen Amina (or Aminatu). Would tick the boxes of "New Civ", "Comes from a region not yet represented in the game" and "female leader" so well.

Cleopatra is an excellent choice for Egypt
Cleopatra was a brilliant woman who made a better play with the absolutely abysmal hand she was dealt than many leaders have made with much better hands--but she's still a horrible choice as sole leader for a civilization with 2,000 years of native leaders to choose from. If they want to nix Macedon and make Ptolemaic Egypt it's own civ, she's a perfect leader for that...

While im super hopeful that this is all true, but has anyone thought this might be an elaborate hoax?

I mean it's always possible, but if someone has the talent (and wants to go through the trouble) creating the fake graphics required for a hoax, quite frankly they'd probably pick the biggest target for a much wider effect (i.e. look at these new things coming to Fortnite/RDR2/etc.).

Unless maybe one of our talented modders is picking a very strange way to debut their new Maori mod ;)

Also, Disney of all people got away with it with Maui in Moana, which to my knowledge did quite well in Asia. And Mass Effect also did quite well in Asia (that they got away with Jack in the US is the amazing part).

I'm definitely under the impression they are pretty used to it with foreigners. I.e. Japan - which is the most reactionary from what I know - you are fine teaching there if you keep them covered for example, and I don't even think wandering around with them on the street will get much reaction at this point. Though I think the ban on going in a bathhouse if you have tattoos still stands.

can only think of three - Gorgo, Alexander and Pericles. Who's the 4th? I know Cleo was of probable Greek descent but I'm not sure if that's who you're thinking of.

Cleopatra was 100% Greek, ethnically and culturally. She recast herself as Egyptian to gain the support of the people in the civil war against her brother, including learning Egyptian and claiming to be the incarnation of Isis.

What @Zaarin said. :D

Cleopatra was a brilliant woman who made a better play with the absolutely abysmal hand she was dealt than many leaders have made with much better hands--but she's still a horrible choice as sole leader for a civilization with 2,000 years of native leaders to choose from. If they want to nix Macedon and make Ptolemaic Egypt it's own civ, she's a perfect leader for that...

That's what I would do :shifty:

This is why Egypt is the highest contender for getting an alt leader, in my opinion. For a representative of Egyptian history, Cleo is Diet Egypt. I long for the full flavor of a Pharoah.

Besides which, the game is in dire need of additional Ancient Era leadership. Gilgabro is the sole representative.

We need someone with knowledge of polynesian cultures to pinpoint where the necklace and clothing could be from.
I'm not all that sure knowledge of Ploynesian culture will do you much good. A cursory knowledge of cult films and pranksterism I think could well be a better cypher.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiocracy
Spoiler Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho :
pres-camacho-civ.jpg

Spoiler :
idiocracy-1_1.jpg

The necklace is just artistic liberty. The game has a cartoony artstyle, it tends to exaggerate things or get them wrong for effect (see: Barbarossa's impressive late medieval armor) The clothing the leader wears is literally the same as the wikipedia page for "Traditional Maori Textiles" describes under the "Garments" tab:

Wikipedia said:
There were two main types of [ed: Maori] garments -

• A knee length kilt-like garment worn around the waist and secured by a belt
  • And a rectangular garment worn over the shoulders. This might be a cape-like garment or a long cloak-like garment of finer quality.
Men's belts were known as tatua and women's as tu. The man's belt was usually the more ornate. Belts were usually made of flax but occasionally other materials were used such as kiekie and pingao. Flax belts were often plaited in patterns with black and white stripes. The belts tied with a string tie. Women often wore a belt composed of many strands of plaited fibre.

Compare that to the Polynesian leader's clothing and you'll find the clothes he wears is an almost word-for-word depiction of the description I C+P'd above.

He's Maori. End of. The only thing left for discussion is whether it's Maori as a standalone civ, New Zealand (dear god, NO) or a Polynesian blob civ.

The necklace is just artistic liberty. The game has a cartoony artstyle, it tends to exaggerate things or get them wrong for effect (see: Barbarossa's impressive late medieval armor) The clothing the leader wears is literally the same as the wikipedia page for "Traditional Maori Textiles" describes under the "Garments" tab:

Compare that to the Polynesian leader's clothing and you'll find the clothes he wears is an almost word-for-word depiction of the description I C+P'd above.

He's Maori. End of. The only thing left for discussion is whether it's Maori as a standalone civ, New Zealand (dear god, NO) or a Polynesian blob civ.

Nicely researched.

But is he a Maori leader of the Maori or a Maori leader of the Polynesians?

It may not even be a UU. Maybe it's a new, earlier generic unit in the Naval Raider class.

Or even a barbarian-specific unit. Remember the axe-thrower from Civ V that was introduced in BNW?
That honestly was my first thought.
Along with the past expansion they updated generic palaces and city center buildings, so I hope in this one they update more units. I could see this as the barbarian caravel replacement.
I don’t necessarily see the Ottomans without the Janissaries, unless this could be a leader UU or vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom