1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Expansion Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Nov 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wizard-Bob

Wizard-Bob Always remember to Find Your FUN!

Civ High Fantasy. I would really love that

2. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

It's called Age of Wonders. The third one is pretty good, even though it is much more focused on fighting and tactics. (the other two ones are also pretty good, but the third is rather close to civ imho)

Endless Legend is also a fantasy game with a lot of similarities to civ. However, it's less High Fantasy as Age of Wonders. While it is in a way more innovative than both civ and AoW, I get bored of it rather fast though. I have no clue why - it's a pretty solid game and like in civ, I go for different victories, play different factions and all that. But somehow I never got over the 50 hour mark in Steam...

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    CPWimmer and Zaarin like this.
  3. HoorayForSiam

HoorayForSiam Chieftain

Yes! The Civ formula could work in soooo many contexts. I’m hoping at the very least for an outside-the-box scenario a la Empire of the Smoky Skies from V. (Although the steampunk nerd in me would love to see a full game solely devoted to that theme.) But if they decide to go into ahistorical territory again they better COMMIT! One of the biggest problems with BE is that it felt too grounded in Civ V mechanics to really feel like a new and surprising experience. Had they fully embraced the science fiction theme it could have been one of the best entries in the series, but alas… :shake:

Guandao and Elhoim like this.
  4. bbbt

bbbt Deity

Yeah I definitely expect they'll stick to the 2 expansions, a spin off, and Civ 7 5 years after 6 formula.

Post Apocalyptic Civ could be interesting, as that's a pretty open gap in the market at the moment (minor city building in Fallout non-withstanding).

High fantasy seems like the safest bet, it does seem like the safest bet - there's far fewer 4x in that market than in Space 4x.

They could also do another 'historical' one ala Colonization (though probably not Colonization). Or something like 'Age of Mythology' - ancient era but add in some my more mysticism/gods/mythological beings etc (which could get very interesting if they stray outside of just the normal 'Greek/Egypt/Norse' and add in Native American, Sub Saharan African, Asian etc).

The problem with those (and even high fantasy to a little degree) is that they might have the same 'look' as Civ (i.e. not 'space world') and they'd feel harder pressed to charge a full $60 for (i.e. Colonization was only $30 iirc) and market as a completely different game.

altayrneto likes this.
  5. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

Missed the last ten or so pages, any information since the unconfirmed leak that included a few unique units?

6. Myomoto

Myomoto Warlord

You just need Open Borders, and they might very well get angry :lol:

So Beyond Earth, but about the people stuck on Earth? Civilization: Somebody is Beyond Earth, but not us?

King William I likes this.
  7. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

No, if you have an alliance, you get no malus for digging up artifacts in their lands.

nzcamel likes this.
  8. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

How would you do technological/scientific advancement?

9. Haig

Haig Deity

Nothing new.. let's see what the next week brings.

Leyrann likes this.
  10. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

Maybe by exploration and salvage?^^

Oh my gods, my brain is flooded with ideas.

This is play the map to a new level! Instead of beakers, you gather salvage. Obviously, the map is full of old world ruins and wrecks that may not only give production and food, but also salvage when worked (instead of salvage/beakers being produced directly by population).
    For example, an old supermarket would yield food and salvage. And old workshop more production...and salvage. Salvage is always a by-product. However! Those sites eventually run out of their yields, so you need to look for new places to salvage, or new ways to feed your populace.

Then, you invest salvage in projects, just like you would invest beakers in techs. Like this, you could maybe re-develop the knowledge to build simple farms, so you are not dependant anymore on salvaging supermarkets. More advanced projects might require you to have a specific building inside your territory to salvage. For example, to regain the knowledge of combustion you need to have an old car factory in your territory. Or so.

Eventually, you would naturally run out of salvage, and at this point beakers could take over again (if you have salvaged enough science labs). But thats just a basic thought for the future. I also had an idea that depending on what kind of lab you salvage, different techs would open up to you. Like, a biolab could lead to techs that make farming and population control more effective, or ways to fight against radiation.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  11. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

Eh. I'd rather play an actually good Colonization.

mbaratta83 and nzcamel like this.
  12. 679x

679x Warlord

Some of us are talking about a third expansion meant to clean up the first two, but wouldn't it make more sense to have that as a sort of balance patch? It sounds kind of weird to me that there could be an expansion that isn't so great on its own and you need to purchase ANOTHER expansion meant to directly improve it. I still wouldn't be opposed to having a third expansion before moving on to a Civ 7, though, but that's partly because I want to see more civs (especially the civs that were in previous games and haven't yet returned despite their historical importance and fan popularity, e.g. Ottomans).

Hmm, thinking about it, if it were up to me, we'd have the second expansion released, then a patch to do some housekeeping on the mechanics that already exist in the game, and DLC to add new civilizations - perhaps a sort of Civilization Pack to add a whole bunch in one DLC, though it might be a better idea to split them up from a marketing standpoint. That way, we could follow the 'two expansions' model, which Firaxis seems to favour, still have returning fan-favourite civilizations as well as brand new ones added to fill in the gaps, and polish what the game already has, all without bloating the game with too many new features.

acluewithout and SelmanV like this.
  13. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

Oh, so now the discussion has moved on to a third expansion or spinoffs ?
    I'd like Beyond Earth 2 please. That game could have been brilliant with proper support and more experienced game designers.

altayrneto and SelmanV like this.
  14. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

FTFY

15. Myomoto

Myomoto Warlord

Scrap and salvage at first. Then by the end maybe you actually start to manufacture your own goods again.

16. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I'm sure if they just decided to introduce canals and railroads as features in a third expansion with 8 (mainly classic) new Civs and a new alternate Egyptian/Chinese leader people would be happy.

For the future, how many people would want to play Civ 7, especially if a lot of favorites that have been included since there appearance such as Babylon, Maya, Byzantium, Carthage etc. weren't in the previous one, is what I am wondering?

17. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

Cleaning up existing mechanics is more likely to happen in Civ 7, I think. That seems the more likely time to step back and re-think how ideas are implemented.

If there are no canals / terrain modification features in the next expansion, I'd take that as a strong signal that a third expansion is in the works.

It's possible a third expansion could take the place of a BE/Colonization/etc. product in the development cycle.

679x, acluewithout and Leyrann like this.
  18. ghost88

ghost88 Warlord

It is also called Warlock: Masters of the Arcane and Warlock II : The Exiled.

19. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

I love both Endless Space and Endless Space 2 -- they're easily among my favorite 4X games -- but somehow Endless Legends failed to appeal to me, as well.

And hire some writers. BE's biggest probable was that it was so unspeakably vague that I never felt invested, and that and the awkward results whenever Firaxis tries to "invent" personality for a Civ6 leader leaves me very blasé about any potential "original" spinoff.

I wouldn't mind, however, seeing a mythological spinoff building on Civ6's framework. They could use a mix of gods, demigods, and folk heroes as leaders for real civilizations (Gilgamesh can stay; bring in the Jade Emperor for China, Amaterasu for Japan, Quetzalcoatl for Aztec [doesn't even need a model change vis-a-vis Monty :mischief: ], etc.) and new mythical civilizations like Atlantis, Hy Brasil--even city-states like El Dorado. Could be fun, and it doesn't require Firaxis to create an original setting which will inevitably be bland.

Kjimmet and Guandao like this.
  20. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

They already have lightning smiting animations as well. I honorary vote for Perseus to lead Greece in that game.
    I should stop hyping up about something I don't know if we'd even get.

Kjimmet, Guandao and Zaarin like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.