1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Expansion Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Nov 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

That would be neat, and allow many leader choices for each Civ. I vote Cadmus, Atalanta and Theseus for Greece's heroes, and Setna and Se-Osiris for Egypt. Maybe the gods could be represented in unique techs or abilities, or as dynamic questgivers as in Age of Wonders II.

Guandao and Zaarin like this.
  2. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

Queen Libuše for Bohemia, anyone? Just me? Ok.

CivLuvah, Guandao and Weraptor like this.
  3. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon King

Queen Arabela and Rumburak for Bohemia. For sure ;)

Kimiimaro likes this.
  4. kryat

kryat King

Glad I wasn’t the only one who felt this about the factions in BE. This is dead on.

5. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

I think they tried to avoid portraying any of the BE factions in an extremely negative manner to avoid offending people.

SelmanV and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  6. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

Then they're in the wrong business... :p

darkace77450 likes this.
  7. bbbt

bbbt Deity

I never got into Colonization and doubt we'll see a new one (and the subject matter could be a bit of a turn off these days, hampering sales). I was a big fan of Sid Meier's Pirates!, and would be down to see a 'Pirate' themed Civ take off (though ideally not limited to just the Caribbean).

I do think a 'mythology' spin off could work well if they got creative. A lot of things could be re-used pretty easily. Great people become great heroes, who get quests at reskinned 'city states' (i.e. the Oracle at Delphi), add a variety of souped up 'monsters' to defeat, things like that. Gods they'd have to do something unique with, maybe create a 'favor' system where you can gain favor (and disfavor) by your gameplay. I.e. all Campuses no encampments? Athena grants you a boon and Ares, angered sends a pack of harpies to ravage your land. I dunno something like that.

On the flip side, I'd be afraid we might just get being 'Civ Ancient Era' with a bunch of monsters you can 'summon' (i.e. faith buy) and/or fight and Gods that are just boosts (you choose Athena : +2 science!), when ideally I'd like a bit of the tone of 'King of Dragon Pass' or such.

Anyways, the way this thread is going and all the ideas, I'm bound to be disappointed with whatever does come out in the expansion.

8. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

You're saying game developers are supposed to offend people? :p
    I would have been pissed if the Pan-Asian group was portrayed as evil Commies.* :rolleyes: I don't believe the Communist Party would last that long. At least the American faction are morally ambiguous capitalists. :p

* I'm not saying that Communists are good, just that having the Pan-Asian faction being Communists in the future is cliched.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  9. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

To be true we'd have to at least go into the Classical Era, or Renaissance Era for the Americas (at least timewise). :mischief:
    I'd love to summon Thunderbirds, Anubis Guards, Chinese Dragons and Minotaurs etc. though to fight however.
    I see it more in futuristic Russian-like factions, along with being good at espionage, though I'm not sure if you count them as Pan-Asian. I think Japan really helps against that stereotype though, maybe not the espionage part. :ninja:
    P.S. Has anybody else noticed that the Intelligence Agency looks like a Ninja Dojo, or am I the only one?

10. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

You're sadly probably right @Guandao. I'm with @Zaarin - if everyone is portrayed as sprinkles and sunshine then I'm bored. C'mon - this is a post Game of Thrones world. Portray everyone as different kinds of scumbags and we'll all love it!

I think some clichés are unavoidable. Well...as long as we're trying to avoid said sprinkles and rainbows!

darkace77450, Zaarin and Kimiimaro like this.
  11. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon King

Exaggeration is highway to the world where developers will avoid any real world based game. Including Civilization...

Zaarin likes this.
  12. SephiBBZ

SephiBBZ Chieftain

So, the famous teaser is for tomorrow? :D

13. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

IF there is one this week, it would be on Wednesday going by precedent. But, then who knows for sure... :dunno:

WillowBrook and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  14. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

For a mythological spin-off, I would prefer playing a god to playing a hero of a civ. I imagine a mechanic like Pratchett's "small gods": you need to get as many strong believers as possible to get bonuses. If people start to believe in other gods/no gods, you get weaker. Nothing a few farms destroyed by lightning bolts, killing some own units or a volcano eruption can't change though...
    Having Inanna compete with Zeus, Inti and Nana Buluku directly sounds like more fun to me than having heroes play against each other.

However, one problem is that you cannot use gods from active religions. With legendary heroes, it's not that offensive when King David beats Prester John, but when Shiva is triumphing over Adonai...

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    Zaarin and Leyrann like this.
  15. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

Let's get hyped about the potential of a teaser guys.

16. ExtremeGardens

ExtremeGardens Chieftain

Imagine if the teaser is of Mt Vesuvius erupting, followed by windmill, geothermal power plants and offshore wind farms...

Here's a speculation too: You can build windmills earlier in the game for (pollution free?) production. In the later eras, the graphics update (like other improvements), and you can construct them in water.

Hawke9 likes this.
  17. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

Last night, I had a dream. There were two first looks released. I don't remember for which Civ the first one was, but the second one was for Hungary led by Árpád. The thing is... Árpád was not depicted like a fearsome warrior and king there, but as a very young man, and the first look looked like some short animated battle :D

Zaarin and Hawke9 like this.
  18. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

Recently, I had a dream there was an in-game video of the new expansion and there were a lot of native american leaders, and an European guy standing in front of a ship pulled upon the shore (Portuguese?)

Hawke9 likes this.
  19. Leathaface

Leathaface Emperor

There has been very little activity with the depots lately.

20. Mr Jon of Cheam

Mr Jon of Cheam Prince

Ah Civ, the only thing that can get me hyped over an unconfirmed announcement of an announcement! :run:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.