[R&F] New Features Video

any references to Braveheart, Mel Gibson, or Highlander?

Or... Outlander?

Wouldn't the blue and white be more appropriate for Scotland than the Mapuche? If so, this means there is a chance the Inca will be featured in the expansion.

EDIT: I had a horrible thought: what if they will apply the multiple leaders to the Celts? So instead of Scotland we have the Celts... :eek2:

Last edited:
Wouldn't the blue and white be more appropriate for Scotland than the Mapuche? If so, this means there is a chance the Inca will be featured in the expansion.
Lautaro's Mapuche Flag.
There was no Scottish Leader in that game.

Spoiler :
upload_2018-1-16_21-52-26.png

Take a look at the description of Sky and Stars:

"Unlocks the Eurekas for..."

Unless they changed the wording from triggers to unlocks, it may seem that Eurekas and Inspirations may be "locked" under some circumstances...

Yeah, it doesn't seem likely that South America won't be getting a civ this time. But that being said, really studying the picture, his nose also seems to look more Polynesian than Native American. Perhaps he could have a nose like that if he is from the far south of the Americas, like Chile and Argentina, so the Mapuche idea is still on the table here, but I would lean more towards Polynesian because of his nose.
And yeah, to me that headband looks kinda fuzzy, which would fit well with a Polynesian style headband, rather than a material headband typically used by South American native peoples.
This one is yellow, but as you can see, Polynesian leaders did wear such things...

I'm also trying to work out what he is wearing, as we get a glimpse of it. It's not much to go on...Could be a cape, which would work well for the Mapuche idea, but that would not rule out Polynesia either.

I would like to have those Polynesia Civ as wellagain. I love them in Civ5. Do you not think the LH of this unknown is too slim for a proper island king?

He is not an Inca either... too less gold.

Guys, I know that all the evidence points to the Mapuche, but for some reason this leader icon, for me, seemed to be Sepé Tiaraju, from the Guarani, despite the short hair the bandana also makes very similar... So is it a possibility?

Guys, I know that all the evidence points to the Mapuche, but for some reason this leader icon, for me, seemed to be Sepé Tiaraju, from the Guarani, despite the short hair the bandana also makes very similar... So is it a possibility?

The Guarani would be fantastic, as well.

Firaxis did say they were planning to add more alternate leaders into the game this year, so it is possible there could be post Rise and Fall DLC. With the Mapuche as now a possibility of being one of the last 3, it does fill a spot in an area that needed to be filled. As for the Zulu and Scotland, I'd be surprised if both Civs aren't coming in this expansion but instead coming in post expansion DLC. Also with Scotland coming this also could mean that if Boudicca ever returns to Civ 6 as a civ leader, she could be getting her Iceni tribe.

Please excuse my question if it's kinda dumb but couldn't that portrait be alot of native American civs?
It could, but (forgive them...) Firaxis tends to use easily identifiable images to base leaders on. Like "first image on a google image search" level easily identifiable. Like "the one on Wikipedia" level. So, couple that with the Tier-1 Detective work on Civfanatics and you can get like 8 pixels of something and within 20 minutes we'll have definitive confirmation of the shoe size worn by the developer that designed the leader.

Please excuse my question if it's kinda dumb but couldn't that portrait be alot of native American civs?
The medium-length hair really rules out anyone except the Southwest in North America, and he's clearly not Geronimo, the likeliest candidate there. Most North American Native American men wore their hair long and braided, or else shaved with a topknot (like the Iroquois) or mohawk (like the Caddo). I really, really think the available evidence points to South America. Which South American tribe may be open to debate; he bears a resemblance to depictions of Lautaro, but could probably work for others, too. I'm positive he's not a Sapa Inca due to the lack of gold; if he is a Sapa Inca, the devs have really dropped the ball on this one.

Look at the up side:

Unless Firaxis is completely insane, today we've essentially confirmed post-RF DLC.

(please don't be insane)

Or that we're getting a third expansion, which I'd personally prefer!

Or... Outlander?

EDIT: I had a horrible thought: what if they will apply the multiple leaders to the Celts? So instead of Scotland we have the Celts... :eek2:

It actually makes more sense to have Scotland with a maroon / dark red lion on a yellow background, maybe that's why they changed Australia's colours (same background colour) and gave the Netherlands that horn icon instead of the more usual lion (Scotland gets it instead).

The medium-length hair really rules out anyone except the Southwest in North America, and he's clearly not Geronimo, the likeliest candidate there. Most North American Native American men wore their hair long and braided, or else shaved with a topknot (like the Iroquois) or mohawk (like the Caddo). I really, really think the available evidence points to South America. Which South American tribe may be open to debate; he bears a resemblance to depictions of Lautaro, but could probably work for others, too. I'm positive he's not a Sapa Inca due to the lack of gold; if he is a Sapa Inca, the devs have really dropped the ball on this one.

Makes perfect sense, thank you. I'm all for Native American civs or South American civs. What about Polynesia?

Makes perfect sense, thank you. I'm all for Native American civs or South American civs. What about Polynesia?
Trends towards more specific civs in Civ6 makes me think we won't see "Polynesia" back, and the lack of facial tattoos rules out the Māori. Tattoos (to a lesser extent) were pretty ubiquitous throughout Polynesia (I believe there's a Hawai'ian saying that says the gods can't see a man without tattoos). I don't think a Hawai'ian or Tahitian ruler is impossible, but I would be very, very surprised to see South America left solely to Brazil with no indigenous civs, even if we know the Inca will come sooner or later. The portrait is rather small and blurry, but on the whole the face looks more South American than Polynesian to me personally.

tl;dr: Possible, but not what I'd expect.

I would like to have those Polynesia Civ as wellagain. I love them in Civ5. Do you not think the LH of this unknown is too slim for a proper island king?

He is not an Inca either... too less gold.

Perhaps, but that nose looks very Polynesian, and he does lack earrings, which we would see if he was an Inca leader, and probably many other Native South American leaders. For me, not being able to find a close enough resembling Polynesian leader is what is making me doubt it could be Polynesia, while the picture does resemble Lautaro, who was Mapuche. At the same time, the lack of feathers in the headband, and the nose shape, make me doubt that it is Lautaro. However...the Devs do tend to make the leaders look different from what they actually looked like historically, so they could have decided not to include any feathers, and made the nose look a little differently. The same logic can be applied for a Polynesian leader that might have a more rounded-looking face, and they could have made it a slightly longer face. Of course, some Polynesians do look that way as well...

Now, if we can find a Polynesian leader who looks like the leader head...

I guess if it is Polynesia led by Dwayne Johnson, what can we say except you're welcome? :mischief: I mean, we already have Moana in the game. :p

Top Bottom