[NFP] New Frontier Pass Screenshot Analysis Thread

Nothing related to any of the screenshots posted, but while we are on the topic of missing luxury and bonus resources, I think coconuts are one of the most glaring omissions, given their ubiquity and large number of uses in the tropical regions around the world.

It has enormous cultural and religious significance in South and South East Asia. It forms an important part of cuisines around the tropics. Coconut oil is a staple of many regions along with being known for its traditional medicinal and cosmetic use. It's leaves, husk, midribs, palm flowers all find some use or other in the form of burning fuel, building materials for houses and boats, making palm sugar etc.

Given its endless uses, it is compared to the Kalpavriksha or the divine wish fulfilling tree in Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism and Sikhism. Just like honey, any in-game yield of food, faith, production, culture and science wouldn't seem amiss on a coconut plantation.

Nothing related to any of the screenshots posted, but while we are on the topic of missing luxury and bonus resources, I think coconuts are one of the most glaring omissions, given their ubiquity and large number of uses in the tropical regions around the world.

I quite agree, and dates while we're on the topic of palm trees.

I quite agree, and dates while we're on the topic of palm trees.
Dates should have had been added way back in Rise and Fall because as Wikipedia tells me, date palms are called Tamara in Hebrew!

Dates should have had been added way back in Rise and Fall because as Wikipedia tells me, date palms are called Tamara in Hebrew!
Yes, Tamar is named after either the daughter of Judah or the daughter of David, who in turn were named after the date palm.

I believe the type of bee used in contemporary beekeeping is of European extraction, but that doesn't mean the practice arrived with them.

Listen... I've had encounters with some very tough bees. I'd rather wrestle a puma.

If you've ever been out at sea, and come across a bee flying about, you know that bees get around. You don't need scientists to tell you bees beat Europeans to the Americas.

I imagine some rough grumpy hunter with rifle coming out of his tent at dawn, knowing the challenges of the day. He must go out there and hunt, because otherwise this would be third day without any honey to feed his family. But will he return safely? Would this not be the day he finally falls to the aggresive and territorial bees that took much better hunters than him?

I was going to share a local tragedy that happened a few years ago... but just remember - bees get around, so don't leave your pen ashore just because you don't expect to see a bee over open water.

Peppers would make a better name for a resource than Tomatoes/Chilis/etc. I hope people don't confuse peppers with the spice pepper, though.

Another bonus resource I wouldn't mind seeing is Apples. Give me my orchards!

But would apples have camps? They can be pretty dangerous.

edit: beans and potatos no. Lets pick resources that look good on the map. Coconuts may be okay. Honey is perfect. Apples would look like red citrus, so probably not.

Anything native to India or middle east that would look cool?

Last edited:
upload_2020-5-14_11-8-59.png

Honey (upper left) and Corn (highligted) confirmed. Think also forest fires is confirmed for base (icon on right side)

Is that a new wonder or new natural wonder in this screenshot (top right corner) that looks like a tower?

That one came in Gathering Storm. Mato Tipila

But would apples have camps? They can be pretty dangerous.

edit: beans and potatos no. Lets pick resources that look good on the map. Coconuts may be okay. Honey is perfect. Apples would look like red citrus, so probably not.

Anything native to India or middle east that would look cool?
Nooooo. I needs my potatoes in the game! Who cares about how the resource looks on the map? :crazyeye:

@Eagle Pursuit I prefer it if they called it Maize instead. Corn was originally a generic word for grain, if I remember correctly. Maize is a word of Amerindian origin, so I prefer it to Corn.

Nooooo. I needs my potatoes in the game! Who cares about how the resource looks on the map? :crazyeye:

@Eagle Pursuit I prefer it if they called it Maize instead. Corn was originally a generic word for grain, if I remember correctly. Maize is a word of Amerindian origin, so I prefer it to Corn.
There’s a good chance it is, if only because the icon shows red corn front and center instead of the more-common yellow corn (unless I’m looking at the wrong icon), so they may be going with the native stylized look to indicate as such.

EDIT: Ninja’d

Oh neat i missed that Mutal Trait.

The competition was seen along with the world congress. So it is either a new world congress competition that occurs earlier in the game since the existing ones occur in later eras, or it's connected to the apocalypse mode

I just noticed something very interesting in the Maya reveal video.

There is no faith menu in the top left, even as late as turn 62!

There is a new 'competition' called "Appease the Gods" at one point, and at some point after that competition is complete the faith menu is visible again. There's no way to say if the two are related, but what if choosing pantheons/creating religions has been revamped and now works differently?

Top Bottom