[NFP] New Frontier Pass Screenshot Analysis Thread

I cannot believe I am so excited about virtual corn.
It's been a pretty pointed absence, the most important missing cereal crop with Wheat and Rice covered.

I just noticed in the same frame of that image I posted above, bellow it off to the very very edge of it is another new thing I don't think anyone posted here yet:
View attachment 555525

It looks like "Cactus" to me?
No one want to comment on what this new thing looks like? It really does look like cactus to me; I don't know what would you actually gain from it though other the many aplications for Aloe-Vera.

EDIT: Having a long hard look at it... what I thought was a big cactus now appear to be a big ground green tree in front of the new corn resource. My mistake... just too excited.

No one want to comment on what this new thing looks like? It really does look like cactus to me; I don't know what would you actually gain from it though other the many aplications for Aloe-Vera.

EDIT: Having a long hard look at it... what I thought was a big cactus now appear to be a big ground green tree in front of the new corn resource. My mistake... just too excited.
Prickly pear are delicious, but it doesn't look like cacti to me. :dunno:

Bamboo has a gazillion different uses--but it's also so prolific that it's an invasive weed in much of the US. :p

Hey!? I eat bamboo! :lol: What about that Kudzu vine that's invasive in the American South?

Firaxis, give me my Potatoes/Tubers bonus resource, please! :yumyum: Remember the Famine in Ireland.....it was because of the potato.
Maybe a Tomatoes bonus resource would be nice too, but that's less important.

Peppers would make a nice luxury resource.

Peppers would make a better name for a resource than Tomatoes/Chilis/etc. I hope people don't confuse peppers with the spice pepper, though.

Another bonus resource I wouldn't mind seeing is Apples. Give me my orchards!

Peppers would make a better name for a resource than Tomatoes/Chilis/etc. I hope people don't confuse peppers with the spice pepper, though.
Yeah, I figure that's covered by Spices, though I wouldn't mind seeing a few important ones--like Saffron, Vanilla, and Black Pepper--separated out. Especially Saffron, since it's also a dye and also has always been a mark of wealth.

Peaches. Apricots. Cherries...Okay, now I'm hungry. :p

I would like to see beans and potatoes

Yeah, I figure that's covered by Spices, though I wouldn't mind seeing a few important ones--like Saffron, Vanilla, and Black Pepper--separated out. Especially Saffron, since it's also a dye and also has always been a mark of wealth.

Peaches. Apricots. Cherries...Okay, now I'm hungry. :p
It would make us even more hungry, I'll wager, if we were allowed to trade these resources with the AI (ala Civ IV). I miss trading crabs for corn and so on. :(

You are correct. The notion that bees didn't arrive in the Americas until European colonists was disproven a little while ago:

https://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=1544

Additionally, you are spot on about pre-Columbian use of honey:

Thank You! I stand humbly corrected

- partially.

Turns out there are a number of species of 'stingless' bees native to the Americas, but the first article you quoted also points out that the honey bee apparently became extinct in the Americas about 14,000,000 years ago, and all the American bees that did survive and continue to evolve here are tropical or semi-tropical varieties (15 of them).

So, yes there was extensive bee-keeping in Meso-America by both Mayans and Aztecs (and very glad you brought that up, because Yucatan Melipona Honey was new to me and I will have to see if I can score some up here in Puget Sound!) BUT there were no honey-producing bees in temperate North America, which is why the eastern North American natives (specifically, Powhatan and his people) called the honeybee the "White Man's Fly" after it was introduced in Virginia about 1640 CE.

By the way, recent genome-tracking has discovered that the honey bee was not native to Europe or Asia either, as was long assumed: ALL modern honeybees (4 recognized separate species) come originally from Africa, but, (like modern Humans!) spread so completely across the 'Old World' that everybody thought/assumed they were Native by the time they started keeping records.

Hey!? I eat bamboo! :lol: What about that Kudzu vine that's invasive in the American South?

Firaxis, give me my Potatoes/Tubers bonus resource, please! :yumyum: Remember the Famine in Ireland.....it was because of the potato.
Maybe a Tomatoes bonus resource would be nice too, but that's less important.

To quote Charles Mann:
"Any history of Europe in the 16th - 18th centuries that doesn't mention the potato is not worth reading."

Specifically, it wasn't just Ireland, but everybody in northern Europe planted potatoes, and the increase in caloric harvest from marginal soils was dramatic everywhere: Scandinavia and Prussia specifically, saw something of a Population Boom from better nutrition, and you could make a case that it was one of the factors that allowed Sweden to play Great Power under Gustafus Adolphus and Charles XII in the 17th - early 18th century and for Prussia to increase the size of its army by about 500% between 1650 and 1750 (12 regiments of infantry versus 60!)

The lack of Gold, Maize and Potato resources in Civ VI, given the massive influence of all three resources, is high on the list of Inexplicibles in the game.

I would like to see beans and potatoes

To implement, speaking of resources, it's a little strange that caviar has never been a luxury resource, the interesting thing is that it can appear on lake tiles. Lapis lazuli could also be a nice resource. And I know that we already have fish as a bonus resource, but to increase the amount of marine resources, I can see cod working as a luxury resource. And since Gran Colombia is being added, we could have emerald as a luxury one.

Cassava (or it could be called tuber), would be interesting as a bonus feature. Maybe quartz could work as a bonus resource as well?

Last edited:
Porphyry would be a fitting luxury resource to come along with Byzantium...
That would be cool, though strictly speaking porphyry is a type of marble. Maybe luxuries could be given random appearance so Marble isn't always white, Gems aren't always diamonds, Jade isn't always green jadeite, etc.

I'll echo the calls for more resources - peppers/chiles, potatoes, and apples would be high on my list (assuming we're right about corn and honey already coming).

And while we're at it, I'm really hoping for an update related to bonus resources to make them more interesting - some sort of benefit for having a variety and perhaps quantity of them (beyond Buenos Aires' suzerain bonus and that wonder that requires cows and a commercial hub).

I remember our teachers stressing in history or some other similar subject that the potato saved Norway from famine during the Napoleonic Wars. I agree that this omission is quite glaring.

I'd like pumpkins/gourds. They'd be so pretty with Civ 6 graphics.
I can't imagine why? ;)
Just give me a bamboo forest with giant pandas on the tile and it will make me happy.

Top Bottom