1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] New Frontier Pass Screenshot Analysis Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, May 11, 2020.

1. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

Ah, so the pick-up doesn't even have its own pop-up like goody huts have? That's kinda a shame, I like the flavour texts.

I think ima get your mod anyway though. :)

pokiehl likes this.
  2. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

pokiehl likes this.
  3. pokiehl

pokiehl King

If it makes you feel any better, the only pop-ups the Goody Huts have are for Eurekas and Inspirations - nothing else. I could have added something similar, but that could potentially cause compatibility issues with certain mods, so I stuck to the floating text.

acluewithout likes this.
  4. Weraptor

Weraptor King

Hello, p0kiehl, big fan of your mods here. Thank you for the mod! I find the whole free unit from a meteor shower thing really jarring, though, and prefer sums of yields, so I fiddled with the weighting in your .sql file. One question -- how hard would it be to mod these meteors to grant, say 5 units of Iron resource for the most accuracy?

5. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

Yeah, a free heavy cavalry unit is useful, but hardly what you'd think of getting from a meteor impact. It would have been so much simpler and sensible to have them yield a small cache of iron.

AbsintheRed, Elhoim and Zaarin like this.
  6. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

But how useful is iron in the second half of the game? The heavy cavalry units can always be useful, I guess.

DWilson, Jeppetto and pokiehl like this.
  7. Weraptor

Weraptor King

Even if the usefulness of resource boost dwindles as the game progresses, I'm willing to opt out for it instead of some ridiculous cavalry.

AbsintheRed and Elhoim like this.
  8. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

The desire to make disasters beneficial results in some questionable contortions of logic.

AbsintheRed and Elhoim like this.
  9. pokiehl

pokiehl King

Is it not so strange to you that players don't want to be purely punished? People endure the destruction of the disasters because there's an upside. And without a benefit the Meteor Showers do absolutely nothing. They can't land in civ territories.

Thanks! There isn't a completely simple way to do it unfortunately. If you are comfortable modding you can make it mimic the goody hut's code for giving strategic resources. Otherwise when I get time today I can write you a snippet you can put in the mod's file.

And I agree with Kwami - the heavy cavalry unit is an abstract representation of getting the resources required to make the unit. They went that way I presume because it maintains usefulness all game and is a bit more exciting to most.

Jeppetto likes this.
  10. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

That sounds to me like a pretty good argument for why they shouldn't have been added in the first place.

Elhoim likes this.
  11. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

Though personally the worst logic of the disaster system is tornadoes that last hundreds of years and cross thousands of miles before dissipating. :sad: On Civ's scale, tornadoes should last a single turn and destroy a single tile--maybe two tiles for particularly bad outbreaks.

12. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

I think the meteor strike should yield some iron or perhaps have a chance of some rare earth minerals.

13. Zaarin

Since fluorite and zircon aren't resources in the game, I guess that would just take the form of gold? :p (Though I don't think you'll find much fluorite and zircon in meteorites. More likely iron and olivine/peridot.)

14. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

Makes perfect sense. Otherwise there's no gameplay value to it. And it's realistic.

There should be no yield benefits in the final stages of climate change though. The player was provided with many mechanisms to prevent it in the first place.

Besides, since each turn consists in a much shorter span of time in late eras, it's no longer realistic at this point to have ever increasing yields, since the natural benefits that accompany natural disasters take time to be felt.

pokiehl likes this.
  15. Zaarin

Of course, tying impact events to climate change is a little gamey. Are the Solar System gods just trying to put the poor humans out of their self-inflicted misery? :mischief: (I realize it's a game and some things have to be gamey, but I still find it amusing.)

WillowBrook and AntSou like this.
  16. Weraptor

Weraptor King

Yes, please!

17. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

Iron and uranium could work.

18. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

Well, OK, but on Civ's scale none of the disasters make any sense and neither do wars, leaders, or anything else. It's an abstraction.

Thormodr, Meluhhan and Atlas627 like this.
  19. Zaarin

A river floods, it damages a few tiles and enriches a few tiles. A volcano erupts, it damages or destroys a few tiles, maybe kills some pop, and enriches a few tiles. A tornado comes through and half your empire is gone. It's not fun; it's not even risk/reward balanced. Tornadoes need to have a much smaller effect or be cut entirely--or else reserved for Disaster Level 4 or Apocalypse mode.

20. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

I'll leave this here for those of you that are interested. Sailor Cat just uploaded a mod to add Iron & Aluminum to meteor impacts.

Meteors Spawn Metals

Spoiler :