[NFP] New Frontier Pass Screenshot Analysis Thread

Hey wait there, yerba mate is veeeery diferent from tea my friend, say that to anyone in southern brazil and you will be a dead man.
Both are boiled leaves. Rooibos, too. Most Civ6 luxuries are conceptually broad (see: "Spices"--there are dozens, maybe hundreds, of those :p ).

*sigh* I just don't get why Firaxis cant use actual temples and palaces as reference for mesoamericans and feels the need to invent their own.

EDIT: I mean just by looking at it...the palace is a mishmash of diferent styles, assuming It's Pakal...why not use Pakal palace or the temple of the inscriptions as reference?

Last edited:
I think this should be here, and definitely deserves more attention.

There was a little bit of discussion in the Screenshot thread, but I think out of everything shown thus far this intrigues me the most. They're both using the charges icon, which I assume is just a temp thing.

upload_2020-5-12_13-46-43.png

I’d love to know what this is. It would be great if it’s some sort of force limit for units.

Attachments

• upload_2020-5-12_13-46-43.jpeg
    upload_2020-5-12_13-46-43.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 51
It would be great if it’s some sort of force limit for units.
I think it would be incredibly irritating if units just evaporated after a set lifespan. That doesn't sound remotely fun at all.

I'm hoping that it's just some sort of cosmetic prestige thing showing how long the unit has been around.

@TheMarshmallowBear already posted it (or rather linked to the tweet) on the first page of this thread and it was discussed a bit already. All I did was add a couple arrows and reposted in the main discussion thread for visibility.

Okay, thanks. Sorry if it was bad form to repost. I’d hadn’t seen the discussion, and thought others may have missed it as well.

I think it would be incredibly irritating if units just evaporated after a set lifespan. That doesn't sound remotely fun at all.

I'm hoping that it's just some sort of cosmetic prestige thing showing how long the unit has been around.

I do hope it’s some sort of force limit etc., but of course it would really depend on the precise mechanics. Agree, it wouldn’t be fun if units just disappeared.

A high definition screen of Simon Bolivar. Don't think it has been added yet:

Strutting around with some sick sideburns no amount of watermarking can hide!

Seems they are going for the thick brows/ high cheek bones look from his reconstruction rather than the paintings, though I'm not sure, those details are harder to tell.
Spoiler :

After reading online, it seems the reconstruction above may be... inaccurate.

I don't follow what you mean by "force limit."

eg some sort of cap on the maximum number of units you can have or maintain. Ideally a “soft” cap, where going over the limit triggers some negatives or additional cost, rather than a “hard” cap you just can’t exceed at all. Gold Maintenance and Strategic Resources are a kind of force limit already, but don’t actually provide much restraint.

I don’t want to get into speculating what is the precise mechanic shown in the screen shot, just because I’ve got so many guesses wrong before. But I’m hoping it’s something more like Units have a cost once they’ve been around for a number of terms or something, or somehow draw down again on your resources every x turns, rather than just disappearing after x turns.

Who knows. Maybe it’s just a mechanic they were trying in beta, but then ditched. Or maybe you get rewarded for how long a unit survives for (that would be a bit game breaking actually). Either way, I’m interested to see what’s going on.

With every minor update some sets of colors for many civilizations are changed a bit. Even if we have a Jarsey system right now, two civilizations still have same default set of colors (Japan and Canada) so I hope they will change it a bit, like Japan's red being more purple or pink. SO far what I noticed is a minor change of primary color of basic spanish color set:
upload_2020-5-12_10-37-19.png

You may see there that their red has different tint, a bit darker or rather more like dark pink. Minor change, maybe even wrongly noticed, but suggests similar changes for the other existing civs as well.

Agree, would be possible to give "old" units a combat penalty instead of disbanding them.

Mayan city center at 0:07 seconds.

I'm annoyed how the description of the Comet Strike is the Asteroids pummel the planet. Comet /= Asteroids

I immediately had the same thought, but didn't want to mention it for fear of getting a backlash. I'm still peeved at the sun rising in the west in the game.... : P But hey, if the world can have a different shape, the sun can rise in a different place, and comets can be named asteroids. It's an alternate reality after all...

Mayan city center at 0:07 seconds.

I'm annoyed how the description of the Comet Strike is the Asteroids pummel the planet. Comet /= Asteroids

Yeah, I hope they fix these descriptions.

Really it should be called a meteorite, which is the name for any celestial body that actually makes it to the Earth’s surface.

Comets can possibly strike planets, but most impacts come from pieces of asteroids. They can do a heck of a lot more damage than we see in game too, with Chicxulub being another neat tie-in with the Maya.

With every minor update some sets of colors for many civilizations are changed a bit. Even if we have a Jarsey system right now, two civilizations still have same default set of colors (Japan and Canada) so I hope they will change it a bit, like Japan's red being more purple or pink.
Japan and Canada's primary jersey are different though. Japan has the dark red on white, while Canada has the medium red on white. I don't see any difference of Spain either in the picture.

Perhaps LifeSpan is more advanced repair and overhaul feature. The less lifespan a unit has, impacts their overall fighting ability.
You have to "overhaul" units to reset their lifespan clock. During this extended time, the unit is not operable.
Perhaps the overhaul time can be reduced at barracks/stables or certain wonders or at fortresses.

Renown seems to be an opposite metric. It boosts capability. Renown provides enhanced combat ability. Or reduces enemy ability.
Faster healing. Those types of benefits. You'd want to upgrade units with greater renown. Renown might extend LifeSpan too.

I think this should be here, and definitely deserves more attention.

View attachment 555356

I’d love to know what this is. It would be great if it’s some sort of force limit for units.

Both lifespan and renown have hammer next to them ... so its somehow related to production. Maybe there is change in units upgrade system, like you cant just upgrade them instantly --- it takes time. Or you can demobilize them and then reasamble again when needed it time of war.

Both lifespan and renown have hammer next to them ... so its somehow related to production. Maybe there is change in units upgrade system, like you cant just upgrade them instantly --- it takes time. Or you can demobilize them and then reasamble again when needed it time of war.

Possibly just placeholder icons.

Top Bottom