New Gameplays (ONE THREAD)

Quill has produced a ship in Part 6 in Bristol but hasn't used it. He doesn't have swordsmen because has no iron. Marbozir mentioned in one of his later episodes that strategic resources are scarce because they were still being worked on at the time of this build. He didn't say his source for that comment.
BAStartGaming also mentioned the lack of iron. He asked a developer about it and was also told that's just an issue with this build and that the plan is that a little more than half of the players will have direct access to iron to hopefully encourage trading (obviously that's still subject to change at any time though).

Quils videos were a delight to watch. So informative! BAstartgaming for example had no idea what he was talking about, got so many things wrong (just for examplee, he kept saying how good America is on a pangea map cos of their bonus to home continent...)
Any other commentated full (100+ turns) gameplays? I can mostly find shorter snippets but want a "full" game to watch :)

Eh, they all have varying levels of no-idea-what-they're-talking-about style anecdotes. Quill for example seems to have no clue that the value of a campus is not solely restricted to it's adjacency bonuses. I mean libraries are available as soon as a campus is. He could have had a campus with a library for a total of 3 science output very early in that game yet he waits till turn 80 to get a campus in his capital and he doesn't even place it optimally.

He addresses this and shrugs it off to opportunity costs but there's no way around the fact that he lost over 100 science on that decision.

Keep in mind I'm not criticizing his play. Second time behind the wheel I don't expect mastercraft play. But at least don't pretend like you made an optimal decision. :lol:

Also, a very common theme between all of these playthroughs is that nobody seems to fully improve the tiles around their cities, even missing out on resource tiles too.

and this IGN video that darko82 mentions is very good, good info about zone of control for example and it's cool to see the night/day mechanic in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_8LoR4zLVE

Thanks for the video. Really one of the better ones I've seen, with someone who really knows how to play.

From what we see here, maybe the AI doesn't yet look good for war, but it sure DOES look good for running away ;)

What in the world that polygon guy is doing? It's like watching AI play. His shuffling of units around is bizarre and painful to watch. Absolutely nonsensical. At one point he shuffles a warrior back and forth just north of the capital because reasons. He also seemed to struggle bringing his units next to the french city, again shuffling them around pointlessly several times. Seriously, like watching AI play :lol:

What in the world that polygon guy is doing? It's like watching AI play. His shuffling of units around is bizarre and painful to watch. Absolutely nonsensical. At one point he shuffles a warrior back and forth just north of the capital because reasons. He also seemed to struggle bringing his units next to the french city, again shuffling them around pointlessly several times. Seriously, like watching AI play :lol:

I think some people had trouble adapting to the movement changes.

It seemed to be an overall lack of understanding of the game - He moved a worker onto a wheat resource that was just outside of his border and struggled to figure out why it couldn't be improved. After figuring that he couldn't do anything, he just put the builder to sleep - outside of his border.

Nothing wrong with this - not everyone just knows how to play civ - especially it's newest version; It's not like he's checking a forum everyday and has heard or seen things in how the game function repeatedly - but he really didn't seem like he knew what was going on; beyond just the movement mechanics.

Though yes, from the perspective of a civfanatic it was kind of hard to watch. :p

Eh, they all have varying levels of no-idea-what-they're-talking-about style anecdotes. Quill for example seems to have no clue that the value of a campus is not solely restricted to it's adjacency bonuses. I mean libraries are available as soon as a campus is. He could have had a campus with a library for a total of 3 science output very early in that game yet he waits till turn 80 to get a campus in his capital and he doesn't even place it optimally.

He addresses this and shrugs it off to opportunity costs but there's no way around the fact that he lost over 100 science on that decision.

Keep in mind I'm not criticizing his play. Second time behind the wheel I don't expect mastercraft play. But at least don't pretend like you made an optimal decision. :lol:

Also, a very common theme between all of these playthroughs is that nobody seems to fully improve the tiles around their cities, even missing out on resource tiles too.

Quill is a pretty good Civ V player. He did get completely fixated on campus bonuses like you said. I was thinking the same thing, was not a good reason to simply ignore it.

It seemed to be an overall lack of understanding of the game - He moved a worker onto a wheat resource that was just outside of his border and struggled to figure out why it couldn't be improved. After figuring that he couldn't do anything, he just put the builder to sleep - outside of his border.

Nothing wrong with this - not everyone just knows how to play civ - especially it's newest version; It's not like he's checking a forum everyday and has heard or seen things in how the game function repeatedly - but he really didn't seem like he knew what was going on; beyond just the movement mechanics.

Though yes, from the perspective of a civfanatic it was kind of hard to watch. :p

Did you get to the part where he tries to attack a barb horseman with a settler?

Gotta say, I'm really concerned about the UI. The choice of fonts seems pretty poor -- the readability is pretty poor, and there's text bleed out of boxes everywhere. Also misaligned elements, and descriptions crammed inside small boxes. I understand it's a beta/alpha version, but after Beyond Earth, I'm concerned that this is what we're getting in the final version.

The iconography of the units/buildings in the building dialog is also pretty poor. I'm impressed with the artwork, but the UI in general looks like an afterthought. I hope they put a good layer of polish on top of it before release.

Gotta say, I'm really concerned about the UI. The choice of fonts seems pretty poor -- the readability is pretty poor, and there's text bleed out of boxes everywhere. Also misaligned elements, and descriptions crammed inside small boxes. I understand it's a beta/alpha version, but after Beyond Earth, I'm concerned that this is what we're getting in the final version.

The iconography of the units/buildings in the building dialog is also pretty poor. I'm impressed with the artwork, but the UI in general looks like an afterthought. I hope they put a good layer of polish on top of it before release.

I'm sure they'll fix the bleeding, but everything else is great. I watched many of these videos on my TV, and I made out all of the details and words from 10 feet away.

The UI looks beautiful, but you can tell they haven't finished it yet. I wouldn't worry about it.

Fully commented 100+- turns games, so far i only saw bastartgaming, quil18 and marbozir. Any others? :)

Fully commented 100+- turns games, so far i only saw bastartgaming, quil18 and marbozir. Any others? :)

FilthyRobot? Seems like a decent commentary.

FilthyRobot? Seems like a decent commentary.

Yes very good commentary :) sadly he played 3 short games instead of 1 or 2 long, so he does not play to 100 or more turns. Still very good and you are right I forgot to mention his videos!

The one by Arumba goes to turn 77. He talks for the first 20 minutes but for the final hour there is just the game's sounds and music. He's playing as Brazil and met 6 other civs by the end.

BAStartGaming tried that and England used the road to do a surprise attack. Haha backfire

Question about AI effectiveness! Did the surprise attack manage to do some real damage, or did the units just get slaughtered without doing anything?

It's probably a good reminder for this forums that people like that inform a lot of the design decisions that go into making the game. He's just as much of the target audience as we are, and probably a lot more to be honest.

Top Bottom