New Map 1.18 City Name Suggestions

Shape of states is ok. One small meta-level suggestion is that I think it's better (one man's opinion, not fact) to have the big cities fit together on the map than have perfect geography of every state.

Example: New York is only 2 tiles from DC. Good geography but hard to see how NYC becomes NYC this way.

I re-did the city names for parts of the U.S. with my preferences in mind just to get a competing vision / idea out there. I figured Leoreth would have final decision.

I like these city names better despite them being less geographically ideal because they allow for major cities to fit together much better. For instance, Los Angeles-San Fran-Portland-Seattle and Miami-Atlanta-Washington-New York on each coast now fit together in a way that lets them each have plenty of room to develop.

Attachments

• DoC 1.18 Cities(1) (2).xlsx
    227.6 KB · Views: 51
Might I suggest Dunkirk, NY instead of Fredonia? Dunkirk is a little bigger, and the actual port on Lake Erie in Chautauqua County. Alternatively Jamestown, which is the largest city in the county.

Might I suggest Dunkirk, NY instead of Fredonia? Dunkirk is a little bigger, and the actual port on Lake Erie in Chautauqua County. Alternatively Jamestown, which is the largest city in the county.
I struggled with that because none of those cities are larger than 30,000. Especially given that square is 2 tiles separated from Detroit, DC, and NYC and is likely to get settled a fair bit, I think it needs a name of a city that has more historical significance. I think the best solution is just to have 2 Eries since Erie was very historically significant in the 1800s and is still reasonably large. I've edited my original post with an updated map.

How do we properly suggest city names in alternate languages? Do I italicize and bold my notes in the document I send?

The google sheet keeps track of them in the notes/comments on the corresponding cell.

As a former Albany resident (Albanian?) I feel that tile should probably be either Kingston, Hudson, or Poughkeepsie. The latter is the British name for the tile on the current small map IIRC.
I agree, I was a bit shocked when I saw Newburgh for that tile lol. Newburgh’s current claim to fame is “Crossroads of the Northeast” due to I-84 and I-87 crossing paths there. There are some colonial-era historical sites but nothing super notable AFAIK.

I like Poughkeepsie for the tile personally; it’s the largest city out of the bunch by far if you include it’s immediate suburbs and has a few well-known universities: Marist, Vassar and the Culinary Institute of America.

Another batch of suggestions, now regarding the northern part of the Arabian Peninsula (also includes Jordan, Kuwait and the far-north Saudi Arabia). Please note that I’ve been working on the same sheet from my previous suggestions, so the newer ones are in bold and italic. Also, there are some significant changes between my take and the original LacsiraxAriscal version, so it would be nice to have some feedback from a third party.

Attachments

• DoC 1.18 Cities.xlsx
    245.6 KB · Views: 32
Could the name of a tribe be ever used as a place/city name?

Suggestions of Korean cities of the peninsula and Manchuria(for Goguryeo and Balhae),
and Korean translations of Sinosphere and few Russian cities(Sakhalin island and Svobodny).

Attachments

• DoC 1.18 Korean Cities.xlsx
    229.5 KB · Views: 27
Some suggestions and corrections for Russian names of cities in Europe.

Attachments

• Copy DoC 1.18 Cities.xlsx
    163.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
A few more suggestions, this time for Italy (and Slovenia and small bits of France). I thought it would be easier after taking some work in Arabia, but it proved somewhat challenging and also highlighted how we need to revise some areas in the map, as, again, my take has some significant changes compared with the original spreadsheet. As always, would love some feedback.

Next, I'm planning to come back to Middle East, particularly the Levant and Mesopotamia.

Attachments

• DoC 1.18 Cities.xlsx
    249.5 KB · Views: 28
Another batch of city suggestions, regarding Levant and Mesopotamia (plus few bit areas in modern Turkey and Iran).

Just like in the previous suggestions, there is some differences regarding original LacsiraxAriscal version, but here we also have some map distortions that impact city name locations. Notably, in Levant, I’ve spaced out more some important cities (mostly old/historical cities), and in Mesopotamia I’ve followed the map distortions in Tigris and Euphrates course, putting the cities considering in which bank of these rivers they were originally located. The most prominent changes are in Sumer region: as you know, the Tigris and Euphrates changed their course during the history, and I’ve tried to stick old Sumer/Babylonian cities at the original bank instead of a more precise geographical position. Thus, for example, Uruk is far more west than it should be, but nonetheless I’ve found more appropriate. As aways, any feedback is welcomed!

Attachments

• DoC 1.18 Cities.xlsx
    256.1 KB · Views: 20
A few suggestions for Iceland:
  1. Minor, but the i in Reykjavík should definitely be an í as it already is in Reykjarvík
  2. The addition of the u in the nominative ending -r was not present in the form of the language at colonization, so I changed Ísafjörður to Ísafjörðr, which should become Ísafjörður around the time Reykjarvík becomes Reykjavík.
  3. Þingvellir (or Thingvellir) didn't sit right with me where it was - replaced it with Borgarnes, which should start out as Borg á Mýrdal.
  4. Hólar (an important medieval religious center, but it declined in importance and the see was discontinued in the early 19th century) should become Akureyri (the modern "capital of the north", the largest city outside the capital region).
  5. Replaced Djúpivogur with Egilsstaðir, which is a larger and more important town nowadays (2500 inhabitants as opposed to 500). The histories of the two are fairly comparable, there's no good medieval town for the vicinity, but Egilsstaðir was apparently at least an assembly spot.
  6. So I added some Celtic placenames, off the assumption that Iceland would be an option to settle for their UHV (see other threads) in representing the Papar, but of course there are some inherent difficulties in this. The Papar didn't really settle Iceland, they didn't have any towns or villages, and if they had anything remotely resembling them the names are lost to history. So I did something a bit wild and experimental: I took some Icelandic placenames with speculated Celtic linguistic origins using this helpful and well-cited blog post, and I marked down the Celtic words that inspired the Icelandic placenames. Most of the relevant toponyms are mountains or fjords rather than towns, but using this alt-historical method you get some cool names like Fa-sruth from Fáskrúðsfjörður or Bheinn-na-geit from Beinageitarfjall or Ard‐na‐bhaile from Arnarbæli. The only other method I could think of for naming cities in Iceland for the Celts would be to use the modern language versions of the Icelandic names (like Réicivíc from Irish for Reykjavík) but that has the clear disadvantage of just being Celticizations of Norse words, which wouldn't be the case if the Celts really were to settle Iceland prior to Norse settlement. My methods may be controversial, but such is my proposal!

Attachments

• DoC 1.18 Cities (1).xlsx
    162.7 KB · Views: 25
Top Bottom