New Patch - First Impressions?

Is the new stone resource added to fixed maps from DLCs, such as the Baring Straights?

Good question.

But as I did understand how the pre-made maps work, the ressource placement is done by a game algorithm and is *not* dependend on a map setting. So stone should be placed on Baring Sraights, too.

But I might be wrong, of course.

First impression: It's very, very good. It's too little and too late - they still haven't touched on the real issues of combat AI and wonky multiplayer - but I'm very happy with the steps being taken with this patch.

Slowly but steadily, CiV is drawing closer to perfection. Good job, Firaxis!

I'm especially impressed by how well social policies are integrated into the game now. This is such a massive, just massive step up from previous games. A revolutionary system, and with this patch it appears to function especially well.

One thing I've noticed, though, that could be problematic: It seems very easy to stay friends with the AI's provided you're willing to part with a few gifts. Hopefully they didn't go overboard and change it from being too hard to have good relations into too easy!

I started two games last night, Emperor level... In the first game Caesar declared war on me after 29 turns... Out of nowhere.... In the second it was Japan in turn 24, with Gandhi in the next turn joining this madness... I was shocked, because i was not close to their borders, i did nothing to them... So early?? I think they screwed up another time with the AI...

To prove that i can share my saves....

In both cases my city produced only a scout, a worker and was producing a settler before the declaration... I was a little frustrated and quitted... I will try another time, but i can't possibly stand a psycho Ai even more... I don't like to play warmongering... But an early attack will force me to the conquest victory for sure...

This game was always a mess, but i'm starting to ask myself if they really think players are too stupid to understand their fraud...

I started two games last night, Emperor level... In the first game Caesar declared war on me after 29 turns... Out of nowhere.... In the second it was Japan in turn 24, with Gandhi in the next turn joining this madness... I was shocked, because i was not close to their borders, i did nothing to them... So early?? I think they screwed up another time with the AI...

To prove that i can share my saves....

In both cases my city produced only a scout, a worker and was producing a settler before the declaration... I was a little frustrated and quitted... I will try another time, but i can't possibly stand a psycho Ai even more... I don't like to play warmongering... But an early attack will force me to the conquest victory for sure...

This game was always a mess, but i'm starting to ask myself if they really think players are too stupid to understand their fraud...

They see you fast expanding, they hating.

Wasn't that bought in last patch, they assess your strength and attack at your weakest point. I guess AI is maphacking to see that but isn't scout, worker, settler a bit of a greedy start at emperor?

Played a mp game tonite and i got artillery around 10 turns later than usual. Struggling in the beginning but the Notre-Dame, Haga Sophia and Porcelaine Tower combo(got 3 of them in 3 turns back to back) is very strong. Free GE for PT and runned GE for Notre-Dame. Bingo. Still don't know how to handle early forces against humans(no fight yet). But archers may be the key.

So for playing, I am liking it. I started a game on Immortal with Babylon using an academy rex strategy to pump out great scientist and it is working really well. I thought happiness would be a problem, but haven't had any issues with it. I am not sure if they changed the code, but luxuries are a lot better now. More variety and closer together.

Here is a few things I noticed so far:
1) It doesn't seem the AI builds a lot of wonders, I think they only use GE to rush build. I had time to build the Great Library in a second city without much difficulty
2) As mentioned above, luxuries seem to be placed better.
3) Stronger Archers makes it easier to defend at the start
4) AI doesn't tech as fast. Even when I thought I was slow, they were slower.
5) Great scientist are a lot stronger now
6) Early science is hard to get, Babylon is definitely a lot stronger after the patch.
7) The game pace is a lot smoother and I am finding that I am beelining less with out the old RAs

I still haven't figured out how to get the most out of the new RAs. Even with the GL and PT, I am finding the tech bonus from my RAs not being that useful. I am still trying to figure out if I am getting science overflow from them, but it doesn't seem like it.

RA spam with the easy to get Porcelain Tower & Rationalism opener is incredibly OP as predicted.

Played a standard Pangaea standard settings +1 AI on emperor as Egypt with 4 built cities. Spaceship victory 1818AD, similar speed to my games pre patch. I wasn't trying to go fast it was all pretty casual just spamming RAs. No difficulty increase atleast on emperor its still a walk in the park with RA spam.

next game i'll try a scholasticism build without using RAs. I predict it won't be as fast. For one you end up annoying the world with all your CS allies instead of making friends by gifting gold/trading RAs(using RA spam) But atleast its more fun than RA spam. Yes RA overflow is working, confirmed in my game. I did get one oddity, when i did 3 RAs in same turn i would get the tech i was researching as well as a bonus random tech & my next tech would always be 1 turn, even if i had 4x the research points. Definitely something weird happening there.

As to happiness, its obvious you can't own half the map full of puppets anymore. But a small tall empire is still easy to manage, i didn't say it wouldn't be though.

Wonders are a bit too powerful now, I think. (in single player)
I was able to hard build the GL AND HG in emparor. It will be a very hard choice in deity :)
HG better in the long run but GL is need to have any early advantage.

They see you fast expanding, they hating.

Wasn't that bought in last patch, they assess your strength and attack at your weakest point. I guess AI is maphacking to see that but isn't scout, worker, settler a bit of a greedy start at emperor?

A worker is greedy?? Are you serious?? And i was producing a settler, not founding another city at the time of the war declaration...

If you have not better excuses to this AI behaviour, please refrain from answer...

A worker is greedy?? Are you serious?? And i was producing a settler, not founding another city at the time of the war declaration...

If you have not better excuses to this AI behaviour, please refrain from answer...

That's the only thing I could think of. Maybe they wanted to steal your worker, plenty of humans would do the same, they probably just would not declare in advance and steal the worker on the turn they DOW. I've done it myself to AI plenty of times (in Civ3 more though). Anyway I wouldn't rage at the game yet, you could have still played it out. Just because you can't play out the beginning exactly as you like, maybe it's not such a bad thing. (although I admit I am guilty of doing the same rerolling bad starts)

Wonders are a bit too powerful now, I think. (in single player)
I was able to hard build the GL AND HG in emparor. It will be a very hard choice in deity :)
HG better in the long run but GL is need to have any early advantage.

I doubt that GL is a wise move on Deity unless you're willing to restart if you miss it (which is a bit cheesy IMO). I tried it yesterday on Immortal with a straight beeline (mining->writing, two chops) and wasn't even near to get it. Others have reported they have got it easily, so it seems to be very game-dependent. However, if you lose it you're left in a very bad shape, so the risk is great. And the effect isn't so big after all as you can only take Philosophy. You will get Philo around the same time by just researching it.

Seems ok to me so far. Some interested tweaks and changes. Early game moves a little quicker, which is definitely a welcome change. The game itself seems snappier/faster - less time between turns, less time for leader screens to pop up.

I was worried about happiness changes but they seem ok so far.

I like the extra oomph for some of the policies and wonders.

Well I can't tell for sure because, since the Patch, I can't get past the opening movie. Anyone else suffering this problem?

Aussie.

Probably something with your PC. I'm sure there's some way to disable the movie since I have it disabled...which is good and bad - no repetitive move but you get a lengthy black screen that sometimes makes you go "wtf" instead. Some kind of indicator of loading would be nice....

That's the only thing I could think of. Maybe they wanted to steal your worker, plenty of humans would do the same, they probably just would not declare in advance and steal the worker on the turn they DOW. I've done it myself to AI plenty of times (in Civ3 more though). Anyway I wouldn't rage at the game yet, you could have still played it out. Just because you can't play out the beginning exactly as you like, maybe it's not such a bad thing. (although I admit I am guilty of doing the same rerolling bad starts)

It's not a problem of bad start, i can dispose of their troops easely... The Ai is still totally noob at placing... The problem is that this behaviour force me to produce some troops, when i want to try some other victories than conquest... If i want a conquest vicotry, is far to easy even on the highest levels, due the incapacity of AI in the tactic field.... But i prefer another one, so it is frustrating to have a fight so early in the game...

I'm enjoying the pace of the game. It feels like I wanted vanilla to be :)

Only complaint - Japan keeps DOW and then begging for peace before he loses any units, but low difficulty to get used to new features atm :p

What are guy's thoughts on the Tradition tree? It seems a lot weaker then Liberty and Honor.

I doubt that GL is a wise move on Deity unless you're willing to restart if you miss it (which is a bit cheesy IMO). I tried it yesterday on Immortal with a straight beeline (mining->writing, two chops) and wasn't even near to get it. Others have reported they have got it easily, so it seems to be very game-dependent. However, if you lose it you're left in a very bad shape, so the risk is great. And the effect isn't so big after all as you can only take Philosophy. You will get Philo around the same time by just researching it.

I've been up all night, and had 7/8 failures on Marathon archipelago OCC playing as Arabia trying to get the GL (1hr on marathon to reach that stage). My one success lead to me building the Hagia Sofia but I missed the Porcelain Tower, I went down the Liberty Social Policy route (normally go tradition), in an attempt to get a Great Engineer, but I didn't complete the Policy tree in time. I think I will have to be more choosy with my start.

I am a very stuborn old git and I don't give up very easily, I might try Babylon, they probably start with a better start bias (less desert and more trees)! The other option would be France as one of the well respected members of this forum (Martin) has been pointing out!

Not really greedy, i do this also IF i have a starting location that permits me to build scout in 5 turns, and if with the warrior i scout some good terrain 3with some civs that can take that. then i make scout, and 2-3 settler, and monument in between if i don't get a culture ruin, keeping the city at 2 pop and also taking the settler SP when available. I saw that 4 is generally best because if you spam cities(5-6 compared to 1 maybe 2 for the others), then everyone declares war :)

Top Bottom