New Patch - First Impressions?

seems like diplomacy got some new features.....lizzy in my current game is 'afraid' of me and is groveling to me to save her after she declared war on me twice.....

Take monarchy, build lots of happiness buildings in capital to net positive happiness, settle next couple of cities directly onto luxuries, ally with CS's, acquire meritocracy, theocracy, build the FP, etc etc etc.

You mean organized religion right? Theocracy now gives 10% gold for cities with a temple :)

First game I was a lonely heart Hiawatha with very few forests. Went tradition then piety. Missed hanging gardens and C. Itza by a handful of turns, got all of the other 3 culture wonders though.

In retrospect I should have opened honor to get bonus xp for hunting the 10 barb camps along the chain of islands to my north and west. That would have netted me a lot of extra culture to fuel my culture attempt. Live and learn will start and new game and see how a wide or semi-wide strategy works depending on the start.

wished i put some SP in autocracy, considering all the courthouse i built/bought...

Game screwed for me too because of mass unhappiness!!! well, i will start a new game and i will have a replay...

I didnt play it yet, I was too busy securing my first deity victory before this patch comes out and makes it harder. I tried it a couple of times during the last days and miserably failed but, tonight, I finally successed. Then I left the game and Steam told me it had just donloaded something. Oh my ! Just in time, I won't forget that damn victory !
:lol:

I really like it so far. The only thing I'm confused about is why does the Stone Worker come with Calender rather than Masonry. ...

As I suspected, everyone QQing over happiness was wrong. My first emperor game is on cruise control to a space victory. Guess I'll try immortal next.

The Freedom policy finisher +100% yield from Great Tile Improvements and increase length of Golden Ages by 50% is a must now. I plopped a GE manufactory down on a plains tile with iron, and not only do we get the iron as a resourse now, that tile is putting out 10 hammers a turn with the Freedom finish. :eek:

They really made it worth your while now to use some of those GPs to build their buildings!

Download keeps freezing... how many times I need to restart this thing.... wtf???

Edit: DLed.... time to own this thing on Diety... :)

Nevermind... it's stuck on 123.8/124 MB now... :(

Turn time is improved. I'm not on drugs. It's a lot faster now.

I noticed something hilarious: suing for peace counts as a positive modifier for trading. I had no diplomacy w/ ramesses. then I puppeted 4 of his cities, including his capitol, and left him nothing a one-tile island city. I sued him for peace and took all the gold he had left. I now have a positive modifier with him that says "you traded recently." lol. Tons of negative ones too though, obviously >.>

I didn't expect the patch to be out this fast, so I didn't finish my previous game as Germany. When I loaded it up, the happiness change had no impact on me (though it might have for Harald Bluetooth, who was at -20 and probably had rebels running all over the place). Got a nice gold boost as well due to lower maintenance costs on ground units for Germany. Ended up losing pretty quickly to China, who was close to a Diplo victory already (steamrollered 5 civs and had over 30,000 gold and a ton of cities, and was across the world so I couldn't really do anything about it).

Second game is fun so far. Playing as Aztecs, enjoying the new social policy layouts and bonuses and all that. Pretty good friends with Egypt (got that trade modifier which is good), not on good terms with Germany, who actually sent a decent-sized attack force at my capital early in the game consisting of 4 warriors and 2 archers. Enjoying my one city with 2 stone resources, and hoping I finish the Hanging Gardens since it's a lot better now.

Does this mean that AI happiness is no longer ludicrously high in comparison to the player's? If so, I like this!

I'm not sure. That was the only happiness poll I've seen post-patch, and there were only 4 civs left, with me, China, and India all being close (in the 30s or 40s). I've never actually seen a civ rack up that much unhappiness, although again, it was loaded from a save, so maybe it was pretty bad already and the patch pushed it a little further. I hope that the happiness bonuses the AI gets are reduced, because they feel way too artificial. I know the AI needs bonuses to compete on higher difficulties, but giving them so much happiness that they never have unhappiness isn't a good way to do it.

Can someone confirm whether things like the Bazaar were augmented or changed (in other words, do they keep their old ability, plus the new?).

Songhai has most definitely been nerfed. Which I guess makes sense, since they were pretty clearly one of the most powerful of the bunch.

Can someone confirm whether things like the Bazaar were augmented or changed (in other words, do they keep their old ability, plus the new?).

They do, you get double lux and the +2g on oil and oasis tiles.

Top Bottom