1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Patch - First Impressions?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by kamex, Jun 27, 2011.

1. jdog5000

jdog5000 Revolutionary

Seems like a really nice refinement of several things. Wonders are more wonderful now, many have gotten boosts. Like others have said, social policies seem really improved ... The pacing is nice and Honor is now much more useful as an opening branch. Branch finishers feel really natural.

Combat in the longsword era is definitely changed. Crossbows are useful, and knights are more powerful in the open field relative to longswords. I like the improved variety there.

Having great fun in my first play through.

2. civnoob13

civnoob13 King

It is literally 1 third of what it was! :D 5s from 15s at the start of the game.

3. kingrc69

kingrc69 Chieftain

Has anyone tried the multiplayer? The patch was supposed to bring the AI up to speed of the single player, but it hasnt. The AI still doesnt even talk to you and still seems much weaker than the single player game.

4. civnoob13

civnoob13 King

I bloody LOVE this patch! Best of all is the dramatically reduced turn time, but it is funner, more of a challenge, and more thought-provoking. I can't wait until I can see the replay! Then I'm going to use mods again, this is the first game in months without mods.

5. donhenriko

donhenriko NQ Officer

Jesus!! The patch is useless. It is now impossible to play multiplayer games.

Well done fireaxis

6. civnoob13

civnoob13 King

There's bound to be a few problems after such a massive patch. The patch itself is fantastic, and you can expect multiplayer to be back to normal soon. Also, I think their next patch is supposed to be a multiplayer patch, so don't be too annoyed.

7. The Mad Russian

The Mad Russian Armchair Dictator

I'm loving this new patch! I never had much in-between turn time but now whatever I had is gone. I've already been backstabbed, saw a Giant Death Robot, and have had quite an interesting time combat and diplomacy wise.

Well done indeed!! :D

8. Luckystrike77

Luckystrike77 Prince

I really hope you're right. But I fear it's worse this time. Haven't been so screwed up after the other patches. Other then that I agree it's a good patch, but it doesen't help much when I can't play the game. Of course I can play sp, but that is not the challenge I'm looking for.

9. Brichals

Brichals King

if you click really fast it feels like you're playing an RTS. :lol:

10. Zombiebirdhouse

Zombiebirdhouse Chieftain

I just won my first post-patch Cultural Victory with Montezuma. It was one of the most fun games of Civ 5 I've played despite never going to war. It takes a lot more thought and planning now. I'm ready to start up a warmongering game to see how that goes. I am very pleased with this patch.

11. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

Oligarchy is also a good way to save up some money from unit maintenance.

12. TPQ

TPQ Cogito Ergo Civ

Strangely, I have found it far easier to keep happiness high with 332, than 275 in my first 332 game.

Happiness has been in double figures for ages. I just sell all my lux, all the time. I don't even need lux at all, it's crazy.

Maybe it's just luck, but the game seems to have got easier.

13. Gamling

Gamling Chieftain

My earth mapp bugs after the patch. It dosnt matter wich Civ i choose i get Arabia (First preselected civ) anyhow. Is there anyone else with this problem or is it just me?

Tested several difrent maps. When loading senarios I always get first Civ no matter what I select. I had no mods loaded so I guess this is a bug or are you guys without this error?

14. Drawmeus

Drawmeus Emperor

Taking honor policies eventually left me with a decent military that I then wanted to use. Success!

15. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Cut your lousy hairs!

The AI still doesn't contact you but he is as strong than singleplayer. I've seen him build some nice armies larger than before. More aggressive.

16. Gali

Gali Prince

Man Diplomatic victories take a lot longer under the new system. Now that globalism requires computers you have to research over half dozen expensive modern age techs just to reach the UN. I can see a lot of abandoned games waiting for those stupid techs to pop. Cultural victories are out because late game policy costs are just crazy.

And Indian happiness is insane under this parch. I had a 15 city empire with India that had 70+ happiness late game. And that was with less than half the number of garrison's I could have had. I did have Notre Dame and Eifell Tower, plus Chichen but no FP. Based on the happiness I was getting, it looks like the courthouse removing all unhappiness from cities is true. That makes Indian conquest so OP. Courthouses are 6 :) buildings for them and 9 :) with autocracy. I only annexed less than half my puppets and still had that much happiness. A true Indian conquest game could have unlimited :).

17. Civsassin

Civsassin Immortal

The AI is very aggressive in using its early advantage to DoW on Immortal difficulty. I was DoW'd within the first 25 turns in both games I started. Oligarchy was hugely helpful in repulsing the attacks and ending with a favorable Peace Treaty, and I was able to get it very quickly.

18. sav

sav Prince

THat's good about diplo victories. ALmost all of my games recently have revolved around stopping someone getting a diplo victory, so if it's been held off for longer, good.

19. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

Replay is inferior to CivIV's replay. For starters, in Civ4, events and the map were on the same screen as the replay ran. I would be more forgiving if it wasn't for the fact that despite there only be a map OR graph OR message option (you can't view all three or just two at once), the stand-alone map is smaller than the Map+Events replay in CivIV.

Also, I'm pretty sure you could trigger the replay whenever you want during a CivIV runthrough. This was useful if you kept playing AFTER the save. In CiV, you're given the option of viewing the replay from the main menu which is nice but you can't create a replay for after the victory.

20. TPQ

TPQ Cogito Ergo Civ

Wasn't there supposed to be graphs in-game, like info-addict?

Can somebody tell me where to find them?