New Picard Trailer just dropped

Just found this trailer analysis by Trek Central. Looks like they going with post apocalypse (the controversial supernova event) Romulan's experimenting with Borg technology presumably to try and regain some lost power. Gotta love the lab sign saying 5,843 days without assimilation lol! Looks like they have control of a cube too. Considering Romulan's and Borg were my favourite villains from TNG this pleases me greatly.

Emoji Movie.

That is not an example of him being lured back to a character he cared about. That's an example of him cashing in on stupid young people cr*p he doesn't care about. ;)

He sounds so old and weak...

Yeah Picard's voice has a lost a bit of the old grunt and he's nearly 80 but I tell you what, we'd all kill to be as healthy as him near 80 assuming we even get that far haha. Don't forget that shirtless beach photo of him from 2 or so years back that practically went viral cause he was still rockin the guns and pecs haha. Lets face it when your nearly 80 and your wife is in her 30s you need to hit the gym HARD lol.

Last edited:
I hope the writing team does a better job than the one for Discovery. I'll give it a chance but if it's a nonsensical melodrama that relies on nostalgia and special effects to carry it, I'm out.

I broke down and watched it. There is a rock formation at 1:07 in the US trailer and I'm pretty sure that's somewhere near where I live, has been used in multiple star trek series/movies as a scene and I really want to go see it in person.

Edit: And it was a super generic trailer, right down to the dramatic pause as the music reach a crescendo for someone to ask the hero a serious question so he could reply semi-flippantly. If it wasn't about Picard, I'd call it a bad trailer.

That's Vasquez Rocks. I'll take you there if you want.

Neither trailer is available for Canadians.

The Next Gen cast looks years older than the TOS cast looked at that stage of their lives.

I hope they show this on the Space channel like they do Discovery. It's the only way I'll see it because there is no CBS streaming service here where I live. :(

I hope they show this on the Space channel like they do Discovery. It's the only way I'll see it because there is no CBS streaming service here where I live. :(

Found this in an article from yesterday:
"Star Trek: Picard will stream on CBS: All Access in the US, air on Space/Crave in Canada, and be available on Amazon Prime in the rest of the world."

It's interesting that Discovery is on Netflix and Picard is on Amazon for international. Presumably they were big money deals too. Almost like CBS is playing its rivals against each other haha!

Would like to see this but I won't be paying for their stupid streaming service just to watch one show.

I won't be getting Prime just to watch it.

Would like to see this but I won't be paying for their stupid streaming service just to watch one show.
This will be the second CBS pay-service show that I want to see (The Good Fight being the other) but that's still not enough for me to pay even more than I already do. This has been true for me for years, though. My friends and I were sharing around pirated copies of premium-service shows like The Wire, Dexter and Weeds 12-15 years ago. *shrug* I wouldn't be able to watch everything that piques my interest anyway, so any streaming service that prices itself out of my budget is probably doing me a favor.

I have Amazon Prime, but haven't bothered with the video aspect of it. I use it mostly for the music and also for the shipping.

That said, after having seen this trailer, I'm unimpressed (thank goodness I can say that here; if I said it on TrekBBS I'd get flamed from here to next century, and that's just the moderators, never mind anyone else).

I've been gradually catching up on some of the Enterprise episodes I didn't bother to watch before. But I'm going to have to be hopelessly bored before bothering with DiscoTrek, and if I want to listen to Patrick Stewart's now-creaky voice, there are plenty of YT videos available.

Oh, and Seven of Nine? Thanks, but I'll stick with fanfic. That bit in the trailer is out of character, no matter how far in the future.

This will be the second CBS pay-service show that I want to see (The Good Fight being the other) but that's still not enough for me to pay even more than I already do. This has been true for me for years, though. My friends and I were sharing around pirated copies of premium-service shows like The Wire, Dexter and Weeds 12-15 years ago. *shrug* I wouldn't be able to watch everything that piques my interest anyway, so any streaming service that prices itself out of my budget is probably doing me a favor.

The cost is only part of it. I don't even have fast enough internet to stream which is true for a lot of people. If you could just download the media and watch it off your hard drive then that would be fine for me, but they'll never allow that. So if they're not going to work with us then I certainly won't feel any compunction about going to torrents for all my entertainment needs from now on.

I do not need more TV channels. I will simply not subscribe to All Access.

I will give it a chance. I am often wrong. But at the moment, this looks like a swing-and-a-miss.

You want Picard? Retire him. Give him a medical condition that precludes him leaving earth. Let us see something we have never seen in detail. Let us see earth in the Star Trek universe.

Edit: And it was a super generic trailer, right down to the dramatic pause as the music reach a crescendo for someone to ask the hero a serious question so he could reply semi-flippantly

very good observation. hollywood literally cannot be sincere anymore, it scares people now. all you get is fake emotions, fake dialogue, and whenever a scene begins to feel "real", or meaningful, you always need a dumb joke to take the edge off. or an explosion. or both. not only is our collective attention span horrible, most people who go to the theatres also prefer having every bit of soul ripped out the movie they're seeing.

I usually call bad films "bad art". but they're not really art anymore. they're products. some of the most well-designed products ever. it's the culture machinery in action.

this is not a mere quip, something to be appreciated, it is a knowingly subversive act. in the 80s and later on cultural theorists were writing about how the television, especially TV shows and romantic comedies, tended to banalize, triviliaze everything. every topic, no matter how dramatic or sad or horrible or unspeakable got this treatment, to the point where nothing really felt shocking anymore.

and then it actually happened. the gulf war was shown on television, on CNN, and literal Hellfire missiles (actual name) were reigning/raining down on terrorists. and it repeated with Iraq. an entire war that you could participate in by watching TV, perhaps the ultimate act of trivilization. until today of course, where you can watch ISIS beheadings on liveleak any day of the week.

Emoji Movie.

Last edited:
Oh, and Seven of Nine? Thanks, but I'll stick with fanfic. That bit in the trailer is out of character, no matter how far in the future.

Well she has had 20 more years to adjust to being human again, not to mention that she's (at least potentially) not spent those 20 years cooped up in a military starship and has instead had the chance to maybe loosen up a little and explore something else with her life.

The cost is only part of it. I don't even have fast enough internet to stream which is true for a lot of people. If you could just download the media and watch it off your hard drive then that would be fine for me, but they'll never allow that. So if they're not going to work with us then I certainly won't feel any compunction about going to torrents for all my entertainment needs from now on.
I have apps from Netflix (and maybe also Amazon) that allows me to do that on my tablet, but I'm not aware that it's a common feature yet. It certainly should be. I'm lucky enough to live in an area with decent service, but there are swathes of this country - and I imagine around the world - where that's not true. Here in the US, we can't even agree that good internet service is important, nevermind how to provide it. I've read and heard that the service in South Korea would make an American feel like they've been transported into the future.

Top Bottom