new Pitboss game on dedicated box

desolat

Chieftain
I want to start a directIP pitboss game with 24 hour turnover. This will run on a dedicated box with dual xeon 3G's and 2Gigs of RAM. A few other processes will run on that box, but it's got plenty of cpu cycles and RAM to spare. I figure we can do a dozen players. 24 hour turnover. Simulatneous turns. post email addresses and race prefs. Emails are for scree's Pitboss Turn Notify so if we're all faster than 24 hrs, the system will email us that a new turn is ready. I think that's a must especially for the early game so we can move it along if possible. I think with 12 ppl we'll need a large or huge map size. I suppose clients will need above average hardware for these size maps from what I've heard. I haven't really had a problem loading them but I got the game for x-mas, so I started with 1.52. Maybe that was earlier versions. If anyone has issue with a map that big, let me know, but I think it's probably needed with a dozen players. Again I need email addresses, race prefs, and leader prefs from serious players. I don't want to be playing with 11 AI players after 2 weeks. I will return the favor as well. My skill level is pretty low, but if I get snuffed out, obviously the box will stay up. I'm just happy to host such a great game for fellow enthusiasts. Hmm. Yep that's a long enough first post.:D

I'm on board too!

It'll be my first PitBoss game.

Email: shawn.kwa [at] gmail [dot] com
Civilization: Tokugawa of the Japanese

Okay, we got 6, 7 counting me. Not bad for less than 12 hours. I figured it'd take longer than it has so far. Checking on things, it appears that createing a random game within the game, you cannot have 12 ppl unless you choose huge. But the PB app lets you choose I think 17 or something even when it's set on standard. I can only imagine that is because not everyone is going to be connected at once. I need an opinion, will we be bumping into each other on large and HAVE to use huge? I'd like to use the smallest map possible and still have a decent game. Input?

Guys I have another question for those more experienced. If a person chooses random race, during first login, how do I keep them from choosing one of the races that I have reserved for someone else that doesn't want random? I guess I just assign slot numbers to ppl? Like I could say the first 5 are chosen races, so anyone that wants random should stay away from those top 5 slots. Does that work?

Also could someone help out pennywise? I'd like to include him. I pm'ed him already but a couple other views on the subject might help. Thanx!

desolat

desolat said:
Guys I have another question for those more experienced. If a person chooses random race, during first login, how do I keep them from choosing one of the races that I have reserved for someone else that doesn't want random? I guess I just assign slot numbers to ppl? Like I could say the first 5 are chosen races, so anyone that wants random should stay away from those top 5 slots. Does that work?

What you need to do is assign everyone a player number from 0 to max-1 before you generate the game. Use these assignments to match a player's civ with the player # in your PB setup screen. When the game generates, the DOS window will list all the civs (with leaders) assigned in order from 0 to max-1. You'd then post here which civ/leaders each person received, since many chose random. Otherwise, those who chose random would be able to pick and choose from the random civs generated, and you don't want that.

Players would then select the leader you indicated in your post when they first log onto your PB server. Once a leader's been claimed and the player has password-protected it, on subsequent logins, the leader's name at the login screen will be replaced by the player's name that you assign during setup.

BTW, please use Vindicator as my game name. Thanks!

Also consider if the turn cycle could be 12 hours and not 24 hours. Game would proceed more quickly and it's not huge issue if someone misses a single turn since it's possible to queue both unit moves, tech and builds.

Dandridge said:
Also consider if the turn cycle could be 12 hours and not 24 hours. Game would proceed more quickly and it's not huge issue if someone misses a single turn since it's possible to queue both unit moves, tech and builds.

I agree. I found 24-hour turns to be too long.

12-hour turns are a good compromise between too long and not long enough. :p

Alright, thanks for that, that was what I was considering is assigning slots. Wasn't sure if it was necessary, thought there may be a way around that. OK will do. Vindicator name is updated in my spreadsheet. 12 hour turns it is, as long as no one has issue with it.

Still need more folks to join up BTW...

I'm trying to decide if I want to join. I'd like to, but I know I'll be on vacation from Feb 12th through Feb 19th. Now, if you let me into the game. I'd play as normal up until then, building and doing what I can. Then you'd boot me from the game during that one week, allowing the AI to take over, and then I'd take over again when I return.
If you don't want this, then I'll just find a game later on after I return. Mysterio is already going to have to do this in the game we currently have going on his server. (I just havn't told him this until just now). :D

Hi desolat!

I'd like to join if there's room:

corossol dot civ at gmail dot com
Louis, Gandhi or Qin in that order (do I really need 2nd and 3rd choices? no one likes Louis)
GMT -5

Thanks for hosting!

Mysterio and HitAnyKey, if I get in I promise to play fast and uphold peace in the world. :)

I did notice that there's people from all over the world putting in for this one. There's one thing I'd like to point out based on the PB game I'm in with Myst and Cor.
Myst set his up for only people between the GMT-8 and GMT-5 timezones. The purpose of this one was so that sessions could be scheduled during the week in the evenings (we try for 7pm-10pm EST a couple times a week) and even on weekends (this past weekend we played from noon-7pm EST and then again from 10pm to midnight).

Having all the players in relatively close timezones make for a better PitBoss game, because you can all log in at the same time and get a bunch of turns done really fast. And then you just log in at least twice a day on days when sessions can't get scheduled.

I am very in.
PM sent with my info.
I would like to be Catherine as I have never played her in a game and I hear good things.

I suggest a continents map. This allows for good room for early expansion but still allows for Naval units and strategy to be a factor in game.

Also you might want to consider having tech trading turned off. Having it on allows for possibly too much collusion between players who form out of game alliances from day one etc.

HitAnyKey said:
Having all the players in relatively close timezones make for a better PitBoss game, because you can all log in at the same time and get a bunch of turns done really fast. And then you just log in at least twice a day on days when sessions can't get scheduled.

Yes, but that's assuming everyones has a rather regular sleep schedule. :D I'm usually awake at the same time with the US east coasterneres. Therefore, if there's still room:

jorjala...gmail.com
Random

I'm unsure if my pc handles huge at the later stages. I'm upgrading sometime soon, though.

Top Bottom